ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

MTB base?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Ecosse, Jul 12, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,
    I'm trying to build up some knowledge of my father in law's activities in WW2.
    These are two photographs, which I had digitally restored recently.
    I know it's a really tall order, but if anyone can shed light on where the group photograph may have been taken that would be fantastic.Also, a definative description of his particular MTB would be useful.
    I know he got blown out of one that was bombed in half (we think at Dunkirk) so I'm not certain if the vessels pictured are the same one. John never uttered a word about his exploits.
    One exploit he did get up to is one I'm very aware of. My wife.;)
    Many thanks in anticipation.
    John can be seen on the right hand side of the photo leaning on his left elbow behind the chap in the darker sweater
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Fairmile B ?

ÇFB

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Looks like Folkestone Harbour in the first shot but many harbours had railway sheds alongside.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Here is John.
    [​IMG]
    Passed on 11 years back.

5. @Ecosse - pic didn't make it, chap.

6. Or it was going to be John.
    Photofukkit want lots of dosh from me apparently.
    I'll need to seek out an alternative.

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

There's been a thread about Photobucket and alternatives somewhere in the last few days.

8. Try Google Photo app.

But make sure your sensitive pictures are hidden because when it runs a scan on your PC it grabs 'everything' and puts them in Albums. Hence pics of my SIN# Card, my Driving Licence' and a Void cheque which I had taken for work purposes ended up on line. Only I could see them but I don' t trust Google for obvious reasons. US Homeland Security Spy Network.....hmmmm. Maybe!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just noticed. I'll need to get on it. Many thanks.

10. upload_2017-7-12_16-52-59.jpeg
    As I was saying, John.
    Courtesy of DropBox.
    Future missus in insert.
    She nursed him back to health.

• Like Like x 6
  11. The MTB appears to be a British Power Boat Company model, or "BPB". These were one basic model, but were later altered into several different configurations.

The port does look like Folkstone. This photo was taken during Dynamo, and - judging by the cheerful faces! - is a very similar English port. The wharf shed is typical of the era, and is similar to the ones in the OP photo (funnily enough, even the ship alongside has the same funnel configuration in both photos - albeit that was quite common for small RN ships)

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Fairmile D I think
    Which I think would but it at 1942 or later?

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Apropos of nothing.

My family all tell a story about my father's brother, my uncle Stan. He was a bit of a wide boy, a spiv, who had a good war "liberating" equipment.

Apparently, "borrowing" an MTB from the port of Sunderland was a step too far. He quickly moved to America and lived out his life in California.

Some old bloke came to visit in the late 60s, after me father had died. Uncle Stan. He'll be long dead by now. Like all his generation and some of mine.

• Like Like x 4