Mt.Everest - clean up..

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sweet_cheek, May 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that the article is a bit old but I just thought that Ill share with you my discovery. Good effort sherpas.

They gonna bring down some of the bodies of climbers that died in 1996. The disaster was describe by Jon Krakauer in 'Into thin air' as well as by Anatoli Boukreev in 'The Climb'. Personaly, I would recomend Toli's story. Dont really know why but when you read the book you can just feel his passion and devotion for mountain.
  2. What a great idea. I remember seeing a documentary some years ago and was staggered to see the amount of rubbish left there. It also talked about the dead bodies of climbers, which was quite shocking until you realised the full situation. So it's fitting that someone is finally repatriating them with their relatives. I have to ask how preserved will they be and presumably identification will be a formality? Perhaps they should do another documentary about the clean up, to highlight the effort and remarkable talent of the sherpas.
  3. There's a kind of arrogance in the mentality of mountaineers on everest

Get up at all costs and feck the mountain and sometimes other stricken mountaineers

I strikes me as a strange juxtaposition that these people who crow about freedom and liberation on the mountain and the environment etc etc have no regard for the sh!t they leave on and around it
  4. The last time I was at base camp it was a complete shite tip, with rubish reaching right down the Kumbhu glacier, mind you, the route up from Namchie was not much better, what we took up there we brought down, but not many of the others bothered, but what can we say when our own mountains and beaches are covered with shite, almost every trip I do I pick up at least one bin bag of rubish

Where next, the Mariana trench?
  6. A picture says a thousand words, my first trip to Napal

Attached Files:

7. You drove? Fuck me, I had to walk to base camp.
  8. Not all the way, the Indian customs impounded three of our four Landrovers in Amritsar, so we went on by train, bus, and foot from Lamasango,

Attached Files:

9. Nope thats some cnut stood in front of a land rover with a sign mentioning Nepal on it
  10. I'd bet there were a few 'cold, dark stormy nights...' there :D
  11. Oh yer, we used to paint our waggons just for fun, we even did Range Rovers

Attached Files:

12. ZZZzzzzz
  13. The Annapurna circut trek was almost spotlles. You had villages on one or other side of the pass that had a bit of litter around but over all it was really clean place. It all change when we come down from mountains.

In most of the places all litter found around was an effect of a lack of an education among locals about enviroment. Ppl out there just dont realise that a plastic bag that the gonna throw away wont decompose. Its not the same as banana rind.

Local market, everything is pack in plastic bags.

Attached Files:

• 107.jpg
      File size:
      169.6 KB
  14. I dont know if the mountaineers are only the one to blame. You will have them climbing other big mountains and none of them is in the state of the Everest.

I think that its the amount off ppl that climb the mountain each year. Almost anyone can go and climb the Everest with a comercial expedition. Some client are ther just for 'wow you did the Everest' and are more concern about getting their latest fashion magazine or getting their pink suitcases to the base camp than about expedition itself. They rather more interested in having all possible means of comfort in the camps than about socialaising with Sherpas, without whom they wouldn't stand a chance on the mountain.

What happened with sitting around the fire and listening to Sherpas stories about Yeti..
  15. some of us have, sat around the fire drinking Chhaaang, Listening how the Yeti used to watch the Sherpa farmers working in the fields and then come down at night and re-enact what they had seen the farmers do in the day. but in doing so destroying the crops, do you know the rest of the story?. The nutty old Abbott in the monistery at Pangboche told me over a kettle of chaaang