Mt. Everest Base Camp travel advice......

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sweet_cheek, Jul 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Im planing a trekking trip to Mt. BC in Octobre. The plan is to do the trip independently, without any travel or trekking agency, from Kathmandu - Lukla- Namache Bazzar- Mt. BC. Octubre will be a pick time for trekking in Nepal and ill will have about 3 weeks to do it so just wonder if anyone can give me any advice on;

1. Flights from Kathmandu to Lukla. I know that if you travel independently you have to book it when you there. how long it can take as I get a restricted time for the trip.

2. Altitude Sicknes - i have read a bit about it but any tips from someone that been there?

???????????????

2. 1 Malaria get yourself sorted before you go
    2 take your own medi gear , needles, antibiotics and crap blockers
    4 From Lukla to base camp will take you about a week if your fit
    5 get in touch with Royal Nepalese airlines I think you can book online now
    6 never go up more than 1000ft in 24 hrs if you feel to rough stop and wait if symptoms persist get back down
    7 get a Sirdar from one of the trekking firms in Kathmandu, he will be worth his weight in gold if he's any good
    8 you will have mega Probs if you carry all your own kit
    9 take plenty of Vicks and decongestant, you sinus will thank you
    10 not sure if you still need trekking permits from the police in Namche now
    11 book a room in the Everest View in Sangboche, best view fro any hotel in the world, good bar and food
    12 try and get up Kala Pattar, because you can't see Everest from Base camp

The first time I walked in from Lamosangu it took about a month, I was 28 serving, and as fit as fcuk and it still nearly killed me the last time I flew inti Lukla was three years ago and I was 55 but a lot slower

I would advise useing a trekking company if you have not been to the Kumbu before as they will be able to assist you in loads of ways. Mountain travel Nepal have been around for ages and have done a number of British Army Exps, you can conntact them on the web at WWW. Mountain Travel Nepal, have a great time, be carefull,the place is very aditictive

And if your lucky this is what you see

Attached Files:

3. When you come in to land at Lukla, don't look out of the window unless you really want to piss yourself in terror!

4. Can't see the problem

Attached Files:

5. They have layed a tarmac runway since I took these

Attached Files:

6. I did it in 1993 and it took me approximately a month from Jiri (a few days walking away from Lukla) and back again. I was 18 and fairly fit. Because I was alone I took plenty of time to prevent high altitude sickness or break a leg. You can do it quicker than that.

You don't need a guide and I've heard things have improved considerably in the 1990's. A friend of mine told me there's even a bar now in Namche Bazar! And there're some hot showers on route apparently.

Map reading skills wouldn't go amiss either. You mainly walk from village to village but you can determine easier how "high up" you can go in one day safely as tropper66 says. But I don't agree with him about the "mega probs when carrying your own kit". It wasn't a problem at all for me. I carried around 30 pounds which included a tent, food and water. My body weight was about 110 pounds at that time. All I suffered was muscle sourness in the first few days ;)

Whatever you decide don't economise on the essentials to keep the weight of your pack down. If you get in trouble you'll need it.

Oh and don't be a bigot like me. Bring sweaters and a jacket! :oops:

7. I only said that because if you do get Altsick you won't realy want to be carrying your kit, even one porter with local knowledge is a great help, I have friends who live in Kunde, so I no longer have problems, as I am now treated as a family friend

8. I recommend you read High Crimes, by Michael Kodas before you go. Although it might make you want to sleep with your ice axe in your hand if you're staying alone at Base Camp.
    linky

9. thanks for advice .....ive been travelling in Asia before so I know about precautions i have to take

trekking permit is not needed anymore. I would only have to pay Sagramatah National Park entrance fee which is like 1000 ruppies, I think...
    and can be easily obtain in Kathmandu

10. Im glad you said that it cant be done without a guide as everyone just tells me that its a mad idea....Just wonder about path marking, are they clear enough to follow them without any problems? Is ther eany snow on a higher elevations as well????

thinks defo changed now in Namche Bazar, you not only get a bar there but also internet and even a hot apple pie......hmmm....cant wait for that one ... :)

I am concern about my load a bit tho as I am just a tiny person but I ll guess ill have to just pack smart. Ive done like a map and compass course so it should be enough I think..

11. not to worry, im not gonna be stay in Base Camp on my own and dont even have an ice axe......hmmm....i dont need it do I :?

Ill defo check the book as I love to read about the subject, I would also recomend 'Into thin Air' and 'Dark Summit', absolutely brilliant!!

12. Yes well, it's not a 100% sane idea, but I wouldn't call it madness. Just prepare your trip in advance.

My biggest mong mistake was not bringing a jacket or any sweaters. I thought Nepal is a third world country. It's hot in third world countries now innit? :roll: Had to buy an ill fitting jumper in Namche Bazar. Read my earlier post again regarding your question about "tiny person".

There isn't a clear path marked "path to Mt Everest" when I was there. But there was some sort of path "up" most of the way. You can't really get lost unless you deliberately try to take a difficult route. Just before Gorak Shep (if I recall correct) and I was above the treeline I couldn't make out a clear path anymore. But if you check your map (especially the contourlines) with your surroundings you can still aim for the next village.

I was there in June and didn't had any snow except for some small iced patches when I had passed Gorak Shep. Check online what the weather is like in October.

Another thing. Every "restaurant" on your trip in the mountains will hand over a massive menu: pizza's, spaghetti, whatever. You'll learn they only serve dahl bath in most places or "empanada-look-a-likes". And when you worry about the expiry date of Heinz ketchup.... you can still eat it and be safe when it's two years overdue. Oddly enough they do have Budweiser in the little shops up till 5,200 meters.

Whatever you do, just use your common sense. And even when you refuse to use it you could get away with it. I only had a vague notion of Nepal. Just bought a plane ticket and left. Mind you, I was probably very lucky. Since then I've learned to prepare a trip ;)

I wasn't taking a dig at you there tropper btw. And you're right about carrying your kit and altsick. Just wanted to let her know if you take precautions you can do it yourself.

13. In my experience it helps if you are not alone, trekking partners and guides are invaluable to spot when someone is having difficulties and then react accordingly.

Have you asked this question on any of the trekking forums? (at magazine or lfto)

How much trekking at altitude have you done before and in which parts of the world?

14. I know it does help but so far I have always been trekking independently mainly becouse it just more flexible and I can do what I want to do , whenever I want to

I have never done any trekking at high altitude, the highest Ive ever been was 3000 m and only in Europe.

I sent few emails. there is a blog about Mt. Everest region skinnymosse.com/adventurist' with all the latest news not only about trekking but, if someone interested, alsom climbing Mt. Everest. alanarnette.com is another one

15. I would seriously advise you to hire a guide and a porter out there.