MSO Bielefeld

It's been some years now since the old Mixed Service Organisation folded.

A bunch of assorted Eastern Europeans who did not want to be repatriated to their former homes after WW2 they were recruited into the MSO as labourers, drivers etc, and formed sub-organisations such as the MCTG/MCLG. I remember I used to think of them as taciturn, uncommunicative old buggers, but in hindsight, I was simply seeing things through typically biased young soldier's eyes. In retrospect, a generally good bunch of blokes providing valuable admin sp to BAOR.

They were also known as mojos, a term which was used in a mainly derogatory sense. In addition, certainly in the 70s', I seem to remember a popular catchphrase used by soldiers when pleading ignorance or stupidity - this phrase was 'MSO Bielefeld'. Hence - "You're a fuckwit, Pte Bloggs" "MSO Bielefeld sarge".

Good times - wonder what became of all these blokes.
Yeah, you're spot on there with regards to the MSO, as young lads we probably didn't always treat them with a lot of respect, however, there was one who worked in the cookhouse in Hameln, a local, who had a hump on his back who cleared tables with a vengeance and sometimes while you were still bloody eating, always had a scowl on his face too, we all referrred to him as " Herman The German "
Some time back I was looking into one of these chaps and Markintime found this, warrants a repeat post:
Markintime said:
What an amazing man!

Picture of Stanislaw Sznuk.


Stanislaw (Stan) Sznuk’s life of service included torture by the Gestapo, SAS-type operations with the Polish Home Army or “underground” resistance to Hitler culminating with award of “Virtuti Militari (VC equivalent) at the Warsaw Rising. After the war he gave long term service to the British forces based in Germany, recognised by award of Honorary MBE and on-going support to those whose lives had been torn apart by World War ll.
Born on 7 May 1926 in Lotz, he grew up in Warsaw. He joined the Polish Army as a cadet at the age of 10, a year earlier than the rules permitted. When Poland was simultaneously attacked by Germany and the Soviet Union on 1 September 1939 he was called up with others at his military school to be a despatch rider and sent to the eastern front. As defeat approached, the Polish commander there, General Anders, sent him back to the west with a letter to General Rommel who was commanding the German forces there. Despite, being wounded in a minefield covered by German artillery he delivered the letter and received a cross for “Bravery in the face of the Enemy”.
He returned to school but was arrested by the Gestapo on 22 December and taken to Pawiak Prison in Warsaw for interrogation about weapons which had been buried at the school when war broke out. He knew nothing of this because it had happened after his call-up. Despite this he was interrogated day and night, severely beaten with a cattle whip, hot needles placed under his fingernails and suspended on a meat-hook under his rib-cage expanding it by 20cm (in later life doctors were amazed by X-ray photos of his chest). Other tortures included having his feet in a salt bath with a goat licking them. Infuriated by his total resistance his tormentors finally kicked him back into his cell where, for 3 days, the only place for him to lie was under the feet of his dead cell mate, who had hanged himself.
In May 1940, the time of his 14th birthday, he was transferred to Auschwitz where he joined 27 other cadets breaking stone for Auschwitz ll. One day in November 1940, realizing that their situation was hopeless, they attacked their guards with picks and shovels and made a break-out. Eighteen were gunned down by the SS pursuing on horses and with dogs. Ten reached the Vistula. There they remained for more than 48 hours in the ice-cold water of the marshes in order to avoid the dogs. A further six died of hypothermia. Stan was one of four picked up by members of a unit of the new Polish secret “Home Army” alerted by the activities of the guards. His mother was told that he had “died of typhus”. She paid 2,500 zloty for a meat tin containing “your son’s ashes”.
Over the next few years Stan underwent much training for commando-style operations including parachuting. Instructors were parachuted in from England and were also landed by aircraft using forest clearings. He played important roles in many attacks on German trains installations and VIPs thus helping to tie down German units away from the main fighting. He avoided suspicion by attending school and seeming to fill his remaining time not required for sleep at Polish Dance for which he quickly became an instructor.
In April 1944 he qualified as an officer. Accounts of the Warsaw Rising which began in August that year describe some of his activities under his pseudonym of “Stach”. He was involved in the initial attack when numerous German aircraft were destroyed on an airfield near the city and was the man ordered to walk out to the Germans for the capitulation. One of the books describes his “death” as he leapt from a window as Germans entered the room he had been in firing at him. He received the “Virtuti Militari from General Count Bor-Komerowski, the leader of the Rising.

When resistance ended on 3 October, after 63 days in which the city was reduced to rubble, he was taken prisoner and, by good fortune moved to a camp in the west of Germany. His own account is that he came closest to death at that time, seeking shelter under a sheet of corrugated iron when the POW camp was attacked by allied aircraft. He seemed not to count the 8 wounds in action for which he received medal stars! He was released by Canadian forces and, when his very wide linguistic capability was discovered, was employed in Montgomery’s HQ in Berlin as an interpreter.
After the war hundreds of thousands of Allied soldiers from Yugoslavia and Poland, hitherto prisoners of war in Germany, refused to return to their own countries under communism. For more than a year they continued to live in their POW camps. In 1946 they were demobilised as soldiers and declared “Displaced Persons”. The British saw it as in both in their own interest and in the interest of these stateless people to permit them to volunteer to serve in a new “Mixed Service Organisation” (MSO) for employment guarding service installations, construction work and as drivers. Later Baltic nationals and Ukrainians were allowed to join. By 1949 the strength of this “civilian” force was 30,000 but over the next three years 20,000 of them had abandoned hope of returning to their homes and families and accepted opportunities to emigrate to a variety of countries in the free world. Stan had joined this organisation a few months after it was formed and remained, through various reorganisations, for 44 years, retiring as a Staff Superintendent, the highest rank.
Stan was fluent in German, English, Russian and Serbo-Croat, as well of course as his native Polish. A devout Roman Catholic, he devoted selfless energy to using his language skills for the support and welfare of those whose lives had been disrupted by war and their extended families. He gave great support to the work of the Serbian Orthodox Church as well as to Caritas, with whom he was active till the end of his life. When Stan wanted something done he remained friendly and diplomatic but determined that nothing would stop him. He would leap “the normal channels” at a bound, as at home in the office of the Commander-in-Chief or, in later years, that of a Minister of the German Government as he was with some elderly displaced Serbian widow. He had two personal audiences with the Pope.
Stan died in Dortmund on 18 May 2005. His first wife, Maria, had died in 1986. They had 3 children. He is survived by them and by his second wife Therese, who continues their joint support of child performers of Polish dance in Dortmund and works for the very active Polish church there.
Stan’s life story is an example of courage and stamina in all circumstances. He had the attributes of Bunyan’s Pilgrim; Valiant for Truth.
RIP old man

Thanks for posting that about Stan - very humbling. Lesson there somewhere - something about not making assumptions about people.
I have fond memories of the Mojo Antar drivers who used to haul us up and down to Saltau and Hohne. As the junior officer in the sqn, I was often dicked to go with our dvrs on the Antars. The biggest problem was communication. Often, you´d stop for the night in a wood. The Mojos would crack on with their well established field drill, that usually involved copious quantities of vodka. We´d generally get our heads down on the back decks of the chieftain if the weather was OK, but the old Mojo would generally start the engine and roll out without waking us! Quite a shock. Oh, you can´t say we didn´t have it tough in the cold war.
Quote- Accounts of the Warsaw Rising which began in August that year describe some of his activities under his pseudonym of “Stach”.

8O Christ on a bike!!!! His pseudonym has got to be a by word for Nails now!

I dont claim to know too much about the so called MOJO's but i know some of the Tank Transporter sweats used to speak quite highly of them. If this gent is typical of them, we were lucky to have them.
They used to support HQ 1(BR) Corps when we deployed to the field, and on my first ex the RSM (a gunner) said, indicating to them, that no matter how hard I tried, I would never be as comfortable, as dry or as well sorted out as the MSO guys. Most of them had been doing it for 40 years plus. Great guys, just don't upset them!
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bugsy Military History and Militaria 45
tsar_Nikolas Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 10
witchdoctor Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC 67

Similar threads

Latest Threads