MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Litotes, Aug 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a complete mong when it comes to Messenger. I only broke my duck with it a while ago and have only used it to chat to one person (probably because it doesn't appear to have worked properly since I installed it...).

I logged in this evening and found an invitation which says:

Now, X doesn't feature in my list of contacts. So, he/she would normally get the heave-ho but this is the first time that this has happened in Messenger.

Is this an indication that Messenger is working?

If someone obtains my email address, can they just add me to their list of contacts and send me this message?

Am I a complete mong who doesn't understand the modern world?

Or am I being stalked by an alter-ego of either MDN or The_Snail?

Grateful for advice....

Litotes

2. Spam, ignore. At least your new contacts bit is working..

3. If someone has your email address and adds you to their contact list on MSN Messenger, then the little grey box will pop up next time you log in. I've never known a spammer or someone who doesn't know me add me to their MSN so if the box does pop up, you can be 99% sure it's someone you know. It's safe to click 'accept' and you never know, it could be one of your daughter's sexy mates...

4. same here, never had a spam contact try to add me on msn. It's probably someone you know

5. MSN is pooh pooh cacka. Mine keeps cutting out.

You would know if it was me!!!!

Sluggy xxx

6. When you use the web and lob your email on any "site registration" page for say a forum, or a price comparison site, if it's set to "visible" on the forum registration, it may be trawled by a "bot", or some of the price comparison sites sell contacts to ad agencies, and in the end, it may well end up being "visible" on the web.

The devil is always in the detail, or the privacy policy....(also make sure your email addy isnt visible on any forums you sign up to - or better still - set up a "throwaway" googlemail account just for forum sign ups)

Once it's "visible" it's the luck of the draw as to whether you get MSN spammed or not...

I would completely ignore anyone you're not 100% sure of, you could end up being sent all manner of rootkits or nasties if you're not careful.