MSN Messenger Virus warning

Didn't know where to put this - hopefully its in the right place :wink: Copied from an email I was sent from my ISP:

MSN Messenger virus warning

Updated: 10 March 2005

If you use MSN Messenger, you could be vulnerable to a new virus in circulation. You may receive a message from a friend or contact advising you to look at a link or download a file with '.pif' at the end, e.g. 'love_me.pif', 'Drunk_lol.pif' or 'Webcam_004.pif'. Please delete this message, and do not click on the link.

What can happen?

You could be vulnerable to hackers controlling your PC, accessing personal information such as passwords, using your personal information fraudulently, or using your computer to send unsolicited spam messages to other people in your contact list.

What should you do?

You should install the latest updates to your operating system available free of charge from Microsoft Windows Update. Updates are designed to fix bugs and vulnerabilities in Windows products like Windows XP, 2000 & 98, and give your PC better protection from viruses and hackers. Windows Update is easy to use. It scans your PC automatically, and lets you know exactly what you need to do to keep your computer up to date.

Microsoft have also made available a Malicious Software Removal Tool, which can be used to clean various forms of viruses from PCs running Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

You should keep your computer protected at all times with firewall and anti-virus software. You can find out more information and updates at our general advice, specific virus information and online server status pages.

Funny how many warning there has been since the latest version. I wonder if this has anything to do with the hidden adware/spyware in it (so I am told) :) Nudge and pinch indeed!

Yes, I got this and ended up having to re-install Windows. It promised me naked college girls but it lied.
:oops:

Seriously though, it's a bastàrd so watch out for it. The message was from a good mate of mine who is tech-savvy and I forgot these things can send themselves. The people who write viruses should have their testicles eaten by hamsters.