Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by babiesarm, Dec 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been in my civi job for a few years now and am thinking of enhancing my qualifications by taking a 2 year part time MSc course in the London Business school. The course is one night a week and one Saturday a month for 2 years.

I have a full time job, married with 2 young kids, and am trying to find out about the work load involved in the part time MSc.

Has anyone done something similar? Any advice about work load etc etc.
  2. If you really think that it's one evening and one day for the next two years, you didn't read the brochure properly. If the course is a credible one, and I've no reason to believe it isn't, you should expect to be spending three hours every day on it, plus the Saturday. I don't know how this one's structured, but as a taught course you're going to spend a lot of time on assignments, the research for which will take up most of your spare time to start with.
  3. Hazarding a guess but "one night a week and one Saturday a month for 2 years" may well be the 'teaching' time. Lets not forget, however, that its called 'reading' for a degree because if you want to acheive anything decent you need to put a huge amount of your time into it.

This will be a huge amount of effort on your part for two years but if its worth it at the end to you, whether in terms of personal fulfillment or future career enhancement then go for it.

If its work related will they be able to give you some time off during the working week to do this?
  4. Just started an MOD sponsored Modular MSc.

There are (on our course) 8 weeks of teaching. Each module - 12 in total - either is assessed by an exam or by an essay/assignment of ca 3000 words. Having completed and submitted the first essay at the start of the second week's residential module it takes about 100 hrs of study in your own time.

Then there is a dissertation - in our case 30,000 words (ie 10 essays). This is about 1000 hrs work, again in your own time, plus research (if appropriate) and so on. Each module needs about 160 - 200 hrs. Assuming 40 hrs taught/studied per residential module, around 120 - 160 hrs on top comes from your own time.

I would be surprised if the course you are proposing to take is much different. If it is an accredited course, and there's absolutely no reason to think it isn't, you'll probably have a similar amount of time on top of the taught bits.

Good luck with the MSc, it's a big personal commitment.
  5. Having just been notified that I have passed an MSc by distance learning with the University of Leicester I can confirm that you will be looking at about 3 hours reading a day for the entire 2 years with no gaps between modules.
  6. Well done, Inf/MP, Congratulations!
  7. Congrats shippers!!!!! Bloody good achievement.
  8. Having graduated from Cranfield recently with an MSc I can say I spent a minimum of 15hrs a week and this was very much dependant on the subject and tutor. Then there is the Dissertation…this is the hard bit because you will leave it and leave it, under the allusion that you have loads of time, then your up all night writing, reading, writing.

Watch out for the black cloud that follows you around for the next 2 to 3 years chanting “you’ve not done your assignment yet”.

Finally make sure your wife buys into the course or she will resent the time you spend on it, thus adding further pressure. Good luck.
  9. Is that the Modular Masters Programme through Cranfield? The mad fools have just provisionally accepted me to start the MBA in Sep 07. It looks like a long slog but it should open up some doors when my 22 is up.
  10. Oh yes. Oh, f*cking yes. :crazy:
  11. After studying for two years whilst I was in the mob, and now as a full-time student at a redbrick, I can completely agree.

Although, as a part-time undergrad normally we only had the one essay due in at a time - is this still the case with a part-time MSc?

edited to say: A BIG well done Inf/MP :D
  12. Won't the LBS course be shockingly expensive? Do look at the return on investment...

I would bank on 12-15 hours a week. Doesn't sound that much but actually means 2-3 weeknights plus the best part of one day on the weekend.

Congrats to all who have just finished; I'm just starting my MBA at Warwick...
  13. Speaking from experience, prepare to lose most of your social life, and a lot of your 'quality time' with your family. On the plus side, anything that can give you extra choices on the work front has got to be a bonus. Anything at MSc level will give you an excellent insight in how to do a lot of things differently. Good luck, fella.
  14. Certainly worth doing it - have found that higher degrees done part-time whilst working tend to impress the hell out of prospective employers, and IMO, rightly so. Often, unless of course the job has a specific/ technical focus, they're not even too bothered (within reason!) about what it's in; it's the fact that you had the drive, and personal organisation etc required to actually do it that impresses.

Having done "it" twice, have to agree with all of the above comments re workload, time commitment etc.. Found that I worked best in the "wee small hours" - no distractions, especially from ankle snappers! - so got into the habit of sleeping between 9pm & midnight; working for 3-4 hours, then crashing again for a couple more hours. Still tend to operate in this manner years later!

Doing a taught course does at least mean there are others sharing your misery, and I found sharing ideas, gripes/ moans etc with fellow students invaluable. That said, prepare to be lonely as hell when flogging through the dissertation - it's usually "your own thing", and by that stage it's every man (sic) for himself! As for the utter misery/ isolation of a pure research degree...!!! Unless you're really focused/ committed, and know exactly what you want to do, don't go there!

All the best,

15. You always have your tutor.

Even if he's an unforgiving, crotchety, nit-picking, **** son of a scabrous camel.