MSc Research: The British Army, Leadership and Gender.

BTW for the OP. An RSM at CAD Kineton banned families and wimmin from being near the bar in the Sgts Mess on Sundays. When the female Sgt who ran the MHE section asked him to define women, the reply was

"Women has tits"
Quite a few Messes use to ban women from about a metre around the bar. It was usually tiled. Because a lady should never be put in a position to buy herself a drink. There were amendments that's said words along the lines "except serving female members".

I've had three femme troopies.

1. The Wannabe-Career Officer
Never saw her in the hanger, and when we did it felt is was just to do the usual 'to be seen' as it normally coincided with the OC's troop inspection. Never on PT, the Tp Sgt has no confidence in her. Her eye was on bigger things, and made no secret of it. Overall was a rather obnoxious cow. Last I heard was doing some crap Log manager job at Heathrow

2. The held-back Officer
Attractive, fit and wanted to succeed, but I had this feeling that her peers and senior officers never gave her the credit or opportunities she deserved. Knew all the guys and all the nicknames/traits/habits. Moved side-wards in the end to Media Ops, and (I believe) prematurely bailed out on what could have been a good career for her

3. The Tryer Officer
Good girl. Transferred in from another Corps as a senior Lt, so was on the back foot with her peers. Really tried hard to get stuck in. Did all the PT, although she wasn't particularly fit. Always briefed the NCO's on what was going on so we knew the plans and intentions before any one else. Had many a faux pas in the Sqn as her 'trying hard' often circumvented procedure or etiquette. Still, she was a really good and intelligent officer. She did a few more years after I got out and then left to do the baby thing

Quite a few Messes use to ban women from about a metre around the bar. It was usually tiled. Because a lady should never be put in a position to buy herself a drink. There were amendments that's said words along the lines "except serving female members".
This was a brass strip laid on the floor. And correct it was about a metre. And it was because the RSM was a drunken ****** who wanted serving immedidately.

Trusssssst me when I tell you that you wouldn't have liked or respected him.

I had no problems with him though. When I was invited in I went with some seriously old AT WO 1 (Cdr) chappies who he avoided like the plague.

Doesn't matter for a masters if you're treading the same ground. All you have to do is show that you've 'mastered' the subject. At PhD level you have to show an original 'contribution to knowledge'. All our OP has to do is read and cite these.
Yes Bob, i was aware of that, that is why I put the references up. It wasn't a criticism. Just such a niche focus I was a little surprised to find something that seemed to fit the bill.

Jesus H. Is SPSS still on the go? I used it in 1987 for my MSc at UMIST.
Sprog.

I used it 1975-81.

Punched card input. Wrap a rubber band around your cards and place in pigeonhole. Get print out and cards back hours later when the operators could be arrsed running them.

It seemed modern at the time!

SPSS is still going strong after 50 years. Impressive.

Echo On

On ROPS
On ROPs
Its a simple fact of nature women think differently to blokes and that means certain roles they excel at, or even surpass blokes, other roles they are not so adept at.

Take a walk in history for say the Rani of Jhansi and many cases on our side, where women have shown far more mental strength than the commanding officer or subalterns, so a female General is not a bad idea. But I have my doubts about them in teeth arm roles because leading by example is supposed to be integral to the role (not always the case, but supposed to be).

Interesting that uk now has female: queen, prime minister, leader of Scots parliament, head of met police and head London fire service. Arguably should be more based on roughly 50% of population but a few appointments there are firsts.

Interesting that uk now has female: queen, prime minister, leader of Scots parliament, head of met police and head London fire service. Arguably should be more based on roughly 50% of population but a few appointments there are firsts.
With the exception of her Majesty, is that why politics, the Jock parliament, the Met and the LFB are all under some form of scrutiny at the moment. some jobs are best left to the boys, some to the girls......just saying!

I vaguely remember a previous female PM, as well.

My example was a DE; funnily enough, she had been a TA Siggy before she went to RMAS.
I vaguely remember a thread going down this route before.

IIRC there was a fundamental difference between 'leaders' reservists would follow first and those regulars would.

The former opted for those who were good guys (or guyesses) and put their tps first, while the latter opted for those who were competent and put getting the job done first, as ultimately it not only got the job done but got less people killed.

IIRC .....

10 interviews doesn't cut it for quantitative research...even for qualitative research around 30 interviews is the sort of number to achieve 'saturation'. 10 interviews gets you well into the land of 'self selection bias'...
Doesn't matter for a masters if you're treading the same ground. All you have to do is show that you've 'mastered' the subject. At PhD level you have to show an original 'contribution to knowledge'. All our OP has to do is read and cite these.
Just a passing thought, b-the-b, but if Luke's 10 interviews are to all be of women, he may well be considered not to have mastered the subject at all but to have only concentrated on one aspect ... after all, there's more than one gender (at least two), so failure to realise that would seem a pretty fundamental flaw .....

Just a passing thought, b-the-b, but if Luke's 10 interviews are to all be of women, he may well be considered not to have mastered the subject at all but to have only concentrated on one aspect ... after all, there's more than one gender (at least two), so failure to realise that would seem a pretty fundamental flaw .....
How pol-correct are the forces today......doesn't 'trans' count? Can of worms and all that......

How pol-correct are the forces today......doesn't 'trans' count? Can of worms and all that......
Hardly a can of worms.

@luke seems to have chosen to write his paper focusing on women in leadership roles in the Army.

Yawn ..... Mega yawn.

He could just as easily write a paper on the same subject on why the Army's leadership is so obsessed with gender, to the detriment of its role and ignoring reality (although, TBH, it would take rather more work than just repeating the same now very tired old mantras about the 51%).

Registered 'trans' (TG) are 1 in 13,000 of the population - less than 0.01%. The Army's already got around double that serving (10 - 12, apparently*), so WTF are VSOs so obsessed about? They're over-represented, FFS!

While over 95% of male recruits could join the infantry, less than 5% of female recruits could; and if they did, they're four to ten times as likely to be injured on ops or trg in the infantry. So WTF do the VSOs want them?

... and as arguably there's no reason why most couldn't be just as good as men away from direct participation in the field where physiology counts rather more, then why isn't the Army (and this paper!) looking at lateral recruiting at, say, SO2 level for both men and women as part of its leadership studies?

Somehow I think that's all going to be put in the 'too difficult' bracket and the same boring old interviews with 'women leaders' are going to be trotted out instead.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Army Pay, Claims & JPA 8
P Int Corps 52
StudentGrant Officers 0