Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

MSc Research: The British Army, Leadership and Gender.

Luke6193

Swinger
Good afternoon all. Please move this post if it is in the wrong place.

I am posting this as a student at Manchester University who is currently studying for his Master's course. As part of my course, I am writing a dissertation and have decided to concentrate on the topic of Gender and Leadership within the British Army. This interest stemmed from my own experience within the OTC and through gaining my reserve commission from RMAS.

I am posting to advertise, what I believe is very important research, to potential participants whom I would very much appreciate the opportunity to interview (on the phone, via skype or face-to-face) for approximately 15-30 minutes about the issue previously stated. As expected, I am mostly interested in interviewing female leaders from the Army, and require around 10 interviews as an acceptable number, but would also be interested in interviewing any men who have a particular interest in this area.

Please pass on this to anyone who you think may be interested in taking part in this research, it would be absolutely fantastic if I get the chance to gain some insight from the ones who know most about this topic.

Please get in touch with me if you have any questions at all about my research. Please message me directly and I will provide further contact details.

Best Regards,
Luke

the ones i have seen in a leadership position i have followed out of curiosity. They have a place and a role but deff not in an infantry battalion

Women in the Army lead by fear.

WRAC. 419 troop RCT stationed at Hounslow, attached to 10 Signal regiment. In early 70's when I was there, combined with the WRAC signal personal, they outnumbered the men by 50%. A shag fest of monumental proportions. How any work got done is a mystery. Now 45+ years later, with women badged into the regiments, and on an equal footing to the men, the scope for work related interaction is all the greater. In BAOR in the late 70's, my OC , a major disapproved vehemently against women in the mob, he considered them a major distraction to the job in hand. We did not have any females soldiers in the regiment. There was one or two female officers, mostly admin duties.

Female commanding officers seem to believe that changing their mind or plan is a sign of weekness. The games different as a staff officer mind.

It’s generally considered a common courtesy to ask the moderators and/or the COs if they have any objection to you soliciting research assistance on ARRSE.

With your background it is unlikely they would refuse it but manners maketh the man.

Lots of people have done it and received a lot of help. One even unapologetically cited ARRSE in the intro to his M.Sc dissertation.

WRAC. 419 troop RCT stationed at Hounslow, attached to 10 Signal regiment. In early 70's when I was there, combined with the WRAC signal personal, they outnumbered the men by 50%. A shag fest of monumental proportions. How any work got done is a mystery. Now 45+ years later, with women badged into the regiments, and on an equal footing to the men, the scope for work related interaction is all the greater. In BAOR in the late 70's, my OC , a major disapproved vehemently against women in the mob, he considered them a major distraction to the job in hand. We did not have any females soldiers in the regiment. There was one or two female officers, mostly admin duties.

I don't think the degree subject is Ancient History, gramps.

Sounds like a nice little scheme to get young ladees to Skype Luke, all in the interests of research of course!

Well done young man, showing good initiative. If you get any good photos then post them up! :D

You could always create a survey monkey interview as well and use SPSS to sift the data

Survey 'monkey', I bet Manchester Student Union would take a dim view of that

download.php

Luke,

If you want to read an absolutely tip-top quality book on leadership, try "Turn the Ship Around" by David Marquet. I am supposed to be reviewing it for the bookclub, but my laptop has given up the ghost. Nothing that £150 for a reconditioned one hasn't solved, though.

You could always create a survey monkey interview as well and use SPSS to sift the data

10 interviews doesn't cut it for quantitative research...even for qualitative research around 30 interviews is the sort of number to achieve 'saturation'. 10 interviews gets you well into the land of 'self selection bias'...