MSc Research: The British Army, Leadership and Gender.

Good afternoon all. Please move this post if it is in the wrong place.

I am posting this as a student at Manchester University who is currently studying for his Master's course. As part of my course, I am writing a dissertation and have decided to concentrate on the topic of Gender and Leadership within the British Army. This interest stemmed from my own experience within the OTC and through gaining my reserve commission from RMAS.

I am posting to advertise, what I believe is very important research, to potential participants whom I would very much appreciate the opportunity to interview (on the phone, via skype or face-to-face) for approximately 15-30 minutes about the issue previously stated. As expected, I am mostly interested in interviewing female leaders from the Army, and require around 10 interviews as an acceptable number, but would also be interested in interviewing any men who have a particular interest in this area.

Please pass on this to anyone who you think may be interested in taking part in this research, it would be absolutely fantastic if I get the chance to gain some insight from the ones who know most about this topic.

Please get in touch with me if you have any questions at all about my research. Please message me directly and I will provide further contact details.

Best Regards,
Luke

the ones i have seen in a leadership position i have followed out of curiosity. They have a place and a role but deff not in an infantry battalion

Women in the Army lead by fear.

WRAC. 419 troop RCT stationed at Hounslow, attached to 10 Signal regiment. In early 70's when I was there, combined with the WRAC signal personal, they outnumbered the men by 50%. A shag fest of monumental proportions. How any work got done is a mystery. Now 45+ years later, with women badged into the regiments, and on an equal footing to the men, the scope for work related interaction is all the greater. In BAOR in the late 70's, my OC , a major disapproved vehemently against women in the mob, he considered them a major distraction to the job in hand. We did not have any females soldiers in the regiment. There was one or two female officers, mostly admin duties.

It’s generally considered a common courtesy to ask the moderators and/or the COs if they have any objection to you soliciting research assistance on ARRSE.

With your background it is unlikely they would refuse it but manners maketh the man.

Lots of people have done it and received a lot of help. One even unapologetically cited ARRSE in the intro to his M.Sc dissertation.

WRAC. 419 troop RCT stationed at Hounslow, attached to 10 Signal regiment. In early 70's when I was there, combined with the WRAC signal personal, they outnumbered the men by 50%. A shag fest of monumental proportions. How any work got done is a mystery. Now 45+ years later, with women badged into the regiments, and on an equal footing to the men, the scope for work related interaction is all the greater. In BAOR in the late 70's, my OC , a major disapproved vehemently against women in the mob, he considered them a major distraction to the job in hand. We did not have any females soldiers in the regiment. There was one or two female officers, mostly admin duties.
I don't think the degree subject is Ancient History, gramps.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sounds like a nice little scheme to get young ladees to Skype Luke, all in the interests of research of course!

Well done young man, showing good initiative. If you get any good photos then post them up! :D

petetheplane

LE
Book Reviewer
Luke,

If you want to read an absolutely tip-top quality book on leadership, try "Turn the Ship Around" by David Marquet. I am supposed to be reviewing it for the bookclub, but my laptop has given up the ghost. Nothing that £150 for a reconditioned one hasn't solved, though.

Manchester University eh? If you can fill the unforgiving minute . . .

Good afternoon all. Please move this post if it is in the wrong place.

I am posting this as a student at Manchester University who is currently studying for his Master's course. As part of my course, I am writing a dissertation and have decided to concentrate on the topic of Gender and Leadership within the British Army. This interest stemmed from my own experience within the OTC and through gaining my reserve commission from RMAS.

I am posting to advertise, what I believe is very important research, to potential participants whom I would very much appreciate the opportunity to interview (on the phone, via skype or face-to-face) for approximately 15-30 minutes about the issue previously stated. As expected, I am mostly interested in interviewing female leaders from the Army, and require around 10 interviews as an acceptable number, but would also be interested in interviewing any men who have a particular interest in this area.

Please pass on this to anyone who you think may be interested in taking part in this research, it would be absolutely fantastic if I get the chance to gain some insight from the ones who know most about this topic.

Please get in touch with me if you have any questions at all about my research. Please message me directly and I will provide further contact details.

Best Regards,
Luke
A couple of others have already focused on the same or a very similar topic:

Michael Dunn
(Department of Defence Management and Security Analysis, Cranfield University, Defence Academy of the United Kingdom, Shrivenham, UK)
Abstract: The purpose of this paper is to examine the role of the female British Army officer, to determine whether female Army officers lead in different ways to male Army officers. [Interviews are used]

Find it at: EmeraldInsight

An article that focuses on Leadership and gender inclusiveness training in the Army: The Army: The Inclusive Leadership Imperative

A Taylor Francis publication on a similar topic - you should only use these if you can access them through your university library as they tend to be pricey for the rest of us. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14751798.2015.1130317?src=recsys&journalCode=cdan20
Good luck

A couple of others have already focused on the same or a very similar topic:

Michael Dunn
(Department of Defence Management and Security Analysis, Cranfield University, Defence Academy of the United Kingdom, Shrivenham, UK)
Abstract: The purpose of this paper is to examine the role of the female British Army officer, to determine whether female Army officers lead in different ways to male Army officers. [Interviews are used]

Find it at: EmeraldInsight

An article that focuses on Leadership and gender inclusiveness training in the Army: The Army: The Inclusive Leadership Imperative

A Taylor Francis publication on a similar topic - you should only use these if you can access them through your university library as they tend to be pricey for the rest of us. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14751798.2015.1130317?src=recsys&journalCode=cdan20
Good luck
Doesn't matter for a masters if you're treading the same ground. All you have to do is show that you've 'mastered' the subject. At PhD level you have to show an original 'contribution to knowledge'. All our OP has to do is read and cite these.

You could always create a survey monkey interview as well and use SPSS to sift the data
Jesus H. Is SPSS still on the go? I used it in 1987 for my MSc at UMIST.

BTW for the OP. An RSM at CAD Kineton banned families and wimmin from being near the bar in the Sgts Mess on Sundays. When the female Sgt who ran the MHE section asked him to define women, the reply was

"Women has tits"

I've had more negative experiences of female bosses than male; conversely I've had some truly exceptional female subordinates and peers. Perhaps a changing demographic and the associated training model.

I'm sure @stacker1 will be along soon and glad to assist.

I've had more negative experiences of female bosses than male; conversely I've had some truly exceptional female subordinates and peers. Perhaps a changing demographic and the associated training model.

I'm sure @stacker1 will be along soon and glad to assist.
Had a female SSM and female OC. Both were really good. However as far as female soldiers go they are a minority. I'll have a look at the stats when I get back of exercise but I've posted before something like 15 of the 17 female soldiers in my sqn are on the biff.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Army Pay, Claims & JPA 8
P Int Corps 52
StudentGrant Officers 0