MS WORD 2010. Line / paragraph spacing. WHY?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BuggerAll, Mar 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Has anybody worked out how you stop WORD 2010 adding a double space every time you press enter? And preferably setting normal spacing to default/

I've trawled through all the drivel and none of it works. I can change individual documents but have to go through the same rigamarole every time.

On a side not WTF have MS done this? If I want a double spacing I'm quite capable of pressing the enter key.

Oh and SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM!

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I'm a technical author - but fortunately I use Framemaker.... :eek:)

Have you looked at the styles in the document? Word (at least in 2007 and before) has a template called normal.dot (or similar) that holds the default styles for every new document you open. I'd check if the style for 'normal' is set for double line spacing or similar.

(Styles specify the default appearance for every form of text - like Heading 1, Heading 2, Body, Normal, Strong, etc. The default set of these Styles is contained in a Template - of which the default is Normal.dot).

Wordsmith

3. This drives me insane too. I think I have the DS solution though:

See where there's a button for 'Change Styles'? When you click that, go to 'Style Set' and select Word 2003. Once you've done that, hit 'Change Styles' again and click 'Set as Default'. Hopefully, when you then open a new document, you should have normal paragraph spacing again.

4. Highlight/Select affected text, right click, go to paragraph, change line spacing to 'single'... job jobbed.

5. Click on the Home tab then on the Paragraph segment click on the icon with the 2 arrows going up and down next to some sylised text. Once the paragraph properties box is open simply check the box labelled 'Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style'. This setting will then 'stick'.

6. I can't get used to this ribbon shite, MS apps were easy to use before, why such a change when it isn't necessary.

7. BuggerAll

I was hoping some one would be able to come up with default solution. So that we don't have to bugger about like this on every document wewrite. Quite why MS set the system up to be so inflexible is beyond me.

KitKats: I've read about the 2003 option but I can't find the change styles button - call me Mr Thicky but it ain't there. You also lose some of the 2010 functionality but that might be a cost worth paying.

8. BuggerAll

Done it but it does not remove the line spacing when you type a list or an address.

9. The Change Styles button is here:

[​IMG]

You might lose some of the functionality, but you can temporarily select the Word 2010 templates whenever you want them.

10. It's in paragraph settings, "space before" and "space after". If you want it permanently altered then open up the "normal.dotx" template, change the 'space before' and 'space after' paragraph settings and re-save.

11. While we're at it, I can't select an A4 page size as the default. I hate Word2010, and am relieved that it's not just me

12. How odd...

OK, go to the 'Page Layout' tab. Where it reads 'Page Setup' there's a little square-looking button with an arrow in. If you click that, it should take you to 'Page Setup'. You want the 'Paper' tab, select A4 as the paper size, and then 'Set as Default' down that the bottom.

That should work, but that's my default any way, so I can't test it...

13. BuggerAll

Tried. Doesn't work. It goes back to its default of double spacing when you press enter.

14. I've tried that before. It changes that document to A4, but the default stays the same (foolscap, I think). My solution is to use OpenOffice, but my missus prefers Word, and summons me to sort it out for her when she struggles. Did I mention I ******* hate Word 2010?

15. BuggerAll

It could be so good but for some reason MS have completely fcuked it up. Things that should be easy are impossible - the subject of this thread and you just wonder why. WTF did they do it for?