MS Outlook 2010; how to delete MS Exchange server account?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 4(T), Jul 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just refreshing and reconfiguring a laptop, prior to issuing it to a new user.

I need to open MS Outlook in order to delete the old user account and add the new user account.

Unfortunately the old user (absent) appears to have configured Outlook to use MS exchange settings at a third party provider (Mail.Ru:, a common free webmail service). The connection settings appear to be corrupted or blocked, with the result that Outlook will not even open fully.

Currently Outlook tries to "load profile" for a period, before presenting a user & password form for the remote MS exchange server. Even though the old user details are auto-filled, they are either incorrect or blocked. Pressing either "next" or "cancel" simply causes the Outlook loading screen to disappear. Hence i can't even start Outlook in order to be able to edit anything.

How do i get into Outlook, or is there a user data file somewhere that I can delete and effectively leave Outlook blank?

My only option at this point appears to be to re-install MS Office completely?

2. If you're re-issuing it, your best course of action is to completely re-format the disc and re-install everything from the OS up.

3. Go to the Windows Control panel, select the mail icon*, open it and delete the "Outlook" profile. Now, when you re-open Outlook, it will see that there are no accounts configured, and will ask you if you want to set one up.

*Depending on your system configuration you may get additional options, like this:

[​IMG]

4. Just delete the exchange profiles from the Control Panel.

Though I don't understand why you'd need to do any of this if you're using domain accounts?

5. O.k. I did get in via the control panel - I don't think I'd ever used the mail icon before.

I have successfully created and tested the new user account (IMAP), but I cannot delete the old user account (Exchange) - it produces a message that a new data file has to be created. Not sure why - I simply want to delete the entire account and its old data file.

Even though i have made the new user account "default", Outlook still hangs on "loading profile" as it tries to use the old exchange account.

Now I can't even get access via the control panel...

6. 4(T),

Considering the time you have spent on this, is now a good time to point you to Pigshyt_Freeman's post (#2)?

Shiny

7. Ditto. It sounds like that computer has some other issues.

8. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

You could try loading it in safe mode

Use the run option from the toolbar

Starts Outlook without extensions, Reading Pane, or toolbar customisation.

Then go into the the account setting area from the file menu, select the Data Files tab and delete the old account

9. Well, I didn't think it should be necessary to replace what is already a fairly fresh and unused Office 2010 installation, simply to delete an exchange account in Outlook!

I'm also sat in the middle of the Kazakhstan steppe; the last time I tried to re-install an MS product, I had problems re-using the licence key because of the change of location from UK....

10. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

you could try searching for all files that have .ost or .pst extensions and deleting those.

Make sure outlook is closed, then;

Start menu
    Search

TYPE;
    *.ost
    OR
    *.pst

Delete them!

Restart Outlook.