MS Office

Chaps, chappesses and geeks,

Does anyone know if you can buy MS Office anywhere with an MoD discount?

Microsoft themselves want £99 for Office 2007 Home & Student, with a free upgrade to Office 2010 when released later this year.

PC World (shudder...) are doing it as a 'web special' for £70.

The PC World price looks pretty good to my untrained eye, does anyone know of any other bargains to be had?

Cheers,

Sparky

It is, but it's probably the cheapest option :)

Or download the trial version & apply one of the activation hacks - in fact, it might even be as simple as just entering a serial number (it worked like that for some of the older versions) which would be easy to obtain using google.

Q

quick-morser

Try downloading Open Office for free.

Will save files in word format amongst others.

Layout, menus etc all very similar

From DII: https://sabs.r.mil.uk costs about £18 for Office 2007 Enterprise (RRP about £500).

Personally, I would sit tight until Office 2010 is available.

msr

2010 is very similar ;)

4(T) said:
shiny_arrse said:
Those people no longer able to get the MOD discount via DII could try here.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/
Does "University of Life" count as an academic institution....?
The site asks you to self certify the details of your Academic Institution. I cannot see how they can confirm the details you input.

Shiny.

You can always get it for near nothing with Demonoid.

You could try getting the Beta/Release Candidates of Office 2010. Our kid's using it, says it's pretty sweet.

Oh, and it's free until the full commercial release.

I've been using Open Office for about a year and I'm sold on it. I'm using OO 3.1 at the moment. OO 3.2 is now available and I'll be upgrading at the weekend.

The writing package lets me do everything I can do with Word 2003 at work, as do the spreadsheet, database and presentation (Powerpoint equiv) packages. All the Open Office apps are fully compatible with their MS Office equivalents.

The drawing package included in Open Office is miles better than Word lineart (or whatever the Word drawing package is called). It's about as good as Corel Draw 8 and better than Adobe Illustrator.

Pete_the_writer said:
... All the Open Office apps are fully compatible with their MS Office equivalents.

The drawing package included in Open Office is miles better than Word lineart (or whatever the Word drawing package is called). It's about as good as Corel Draw 8 and better than Adobe Illustrator.
Fully compatible is overstating it to be honest. It can be quite amusing watching someone give a presentation using slides generated in Open Office and played back on PowerPoint.

Macros are handled with a totally different scripting language as well.

If you know anyone in the NHS you can get it dirt cheap - like for about a tenner.

Check out the NHS Resource Centre via Google and look over teh various other organisations which can claim the same sort of price.

Chaps,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Mrs Sparky wants MS Office for complete compatability with her work applications, so unfortunately Open Office is out, even though 'free' is my second favourite word (after 'boobies'). I have a good friend in the Scottish Ambulance Service, so I'll be pestering him to see if he'll pick it up for the bargain price of £8.95 for me. Why on earth aren't MoD personnel being offered a similar level of discount? Or would that be something to do with joined up Government, or lack thereof?

Thanks again,

Sparky

Sparky71 said:
Chaps,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Mrs Sparky wants MS Office for complete compatability with her work applications, so unfortunately Open Office is out, even though 'free' is my second favourite word (after 'boobies'). I have a good friend in the Scottish Ambulance Service, so I'll be pestering him to see if he'll pick it up for the bargain price of £8.95 for me. Why on earth aren't MoD personnel being offered a similar level of discount? Or would that be something to do with joined up Government, or lack thereof?

Thanks again,

Sparky
The softbox option is a good one as the 2007 they are selling now comes with free upgrade to 2010 - and is complete with 2 licenses.