MS Office alternatives

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by SparkySteve, May 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Reading a post in an other topic, and not wanting to hijack it, whats the score on MS Office alternatvies? Is OpenOffice a decent package? Are there better alternatives?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. MSR - seconded. Free. Open code if you understand that stuff. Looks same as MS product so learning scale is low.
  4. I'd vote for OpenOffice as well.
    It's kind of embarassing for ms when you can do the same things ms office can for free and ms are charging > £200. :x
    Though there will always be mugs willing to pay these ridiculous prices, namely the M.*.*
    "...ooh, the new version of m$ office is out." :roll:
  5. There is Staroffice as well but I haven't used it in donkeys so I don't know what it's like now.
  6. Open Office is excellent but if you're a little nervous of open source (no reason to be, but some are) then Sun Star Office is a commercial presentation of virtually the same product. In fact, Open Office is an open source development of Star Office that Sun have allowed to help their own development - Open Office can be contributed to by anyone with the ability and Sun cherry-pick what they want from the new ideas :)

There's more info at which also has a "demo" so you can see the overall feel of the suite and see how close it is to the Leading Brand ;)

Personally I use Open Office because I'm happy with open source but if you'd prefer the reassurance of something that a major company has put its name to then Sun are deffo worth a look
  7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I have been using StarOffice from Sun Microsystems for several years, it is the commercially available programme the people that released an earlier version as freeware hence OpenOffice.

If you want slightly more modern then StarOffice or for free OpenOffice.

Both products are excellent and the spreadsheet programme wipes the floor with Excel.
  8. Thanks Lads, i'l download OO when i get a limit-less connection in the office!
  9. I tried Easy office and it wasn't bad, however it was always nagging away about something or other. Open Office is pretty good - definitely worth a go.

In case you're not aware, all MOD employees who have a DII or RLI account can register on the Microsoft Home User scheme to get a full, legit copy of MS Office Pro 2007 for £17.30. If anyone is interested and has an RLI link at work, then PM me and I'll send you the web URL to follow. You can also get a copy of Visio 2007 but that's another £17.30. War is hell!