MS Office - advice sought

Gents,

Just got a new Windows 10 PC, and am trying to source Word etc for it. The new thing seems to be MS Office at £80 per year to use their facilities - not sure this is worth it or not.

So my question is, firstly, is it worth getting MS Office online from Microsoft? Secondly, are there easier alternatives - I am not massively IT literate and need Word etc for the odd spot of working at home - but I dont hugely like the idea of paying a subscription for it.

Any advice gratefully received!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I happily pay for an Office 365 sub - it covers me for Office on a laptop and an iPad, with all updates included and avoids any silly licensing issues.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gents,

Just got a new Windows 10 PC, and am trying to source Word etc for it. The new thing seems to be MS Office at £80 per year to use their facilities - not sure this is worth it or not.

So my question is, firstly, is it worth getting MS Office online from Microsoft? Secondly, are there easier alternatives - I am not massively IT literate and need Word etc for the odd spot of working at home - but I dont hugely like the idea of paying a subscription for it.

Any advice gratefully received!
The company I work for occasionally show up to are part of the Microsoft Home Use Program. It gives you the full and newest version of Office for £9.95 all in.

Ping me a PM if you want a key code.

I still use Office 2010 on my desktop and it is fine. Although I can upgrade FOC I prefer the look of the older version over the boxy tabbed look of the new one.

You should be able to pick up a boxed copy of Office online for not much money.

I did pay £79 for Office/365 earlier this year.

Whilst this is an annuity cost you do get a lot for it. That price includes five PC/Mac licences, five tablet licences and a shedload of online storage for each user (Skydrive, or whatever it is called).

As this was for Mrs TS's company the cost was not an issue but even so it is not bad value.

The Student option is a good one but I am not sure it includes Outlook. A previous copy I had didn't.

Free alternatives mentioned in earlier posts are in my experience great for word processing (Word), decent as alternative spreadsheet/Excel and completly useless as Powerpoint alternatives. Then again Powerpoint is the worst technological advancement that has happened in my life time.

I still use MS Office at work, at home I use Libre Office, which works fine almost always. The only problems have been with some of the more advanced Excel stuff and everything to do with Powerpoint. Works out as an good excuse for not going anywhere near Powerpoint files outside of work.

E

EScotia

I still use Office 2013. Got it just before I left from the Home Office programme via Dii. Worth looking at if you're a CS as should you be one of those that actually does do work at home it fits seamlessly with the stuff you do at work.

Worth paying the extra for the CD/DVD in case your laptop/pc goes bang or gets nicked.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MOD home use scheme is spot on - i think i just paid £10 for office 2016

Thanks for the useful tips - I will check out the office home use when back off leave!

Cheers all - much appreciated.
i'd avoid any knock off copies, they all contain bugs / malware no matter how 'assured' they claim to be. The MOD HU scheme is a no-brainer

No point in taking out a subscription for the latest offering as it's designed more for large groups of people sharing their grief. I use a mix of 2003 and 2010, and it's still got far, far more in it than I could ever use (scripts, letters, diagrams, the odd financial calculation). You should be able to pick up copies of those full versions for a reasonable price.

No point in taking out a subscription for the latest offering as it's designed more for large groups of people sharing their grief. I use a mix of 2003 and 2010, and it's still got far, far more in it than I could ever use (scripts, letters, diagrams, the odd financial calculation). You should be able to pick up copies of those full versions for a reasonable price.
unlikely to be less than a tenner though!!

The company I work for occasionally show up to are part of the Microsoft Home Use Program. It gives you the full and newest version of Office for £9.95 all in.

Ping me a PM if you want a key code.
Me too; got a full set of 2010 for that price five years ago. But not Visio, which is very useful, and which I nicked persuaded my last employer to get me specially.

I'm still using Office 2010 that I picked up from the Base Exchange for roughly $75 USD because of my previous military service. I did not qualify to get a license through the Army for a more reasonable price because I was not active duty or a civil servant. It works though and does all I need it to do. I have so far resisted getting Office 365 or anything newer and hope I never have to as I am comfortable with the way Office 2010 looks. I'm still running Win 7 Pro too. I didn't want to go to Win 8 and 8.1 because of the look of the thing (tiles running on your screen instead of a proper bit of wallpaper and no Start menu; what's that all about then?) As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on Win 10.

Office 2010 did not have Outlook bundled with it. I don't think the later versions do either.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
IBM ditched Office many years ago because it saved an absolute fortune in licence fees. And yet still people demanded they absolutely had to have Office. Go figure.