MS Licensing

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by TA_sig, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hey folks,

    It's somewhere above my level but as usual bad tasks roll down hill. Pretty open ended: How do the licensing arrangements for MS software in the MOD/Army work? I have a deployment to do with a pair of 2k3 servers, and win xp clients for a hosted service (our kit, our & someone elses software) that the Army will be using for a few months. They're not covered by my corporate license as the end user is the Army yet it seems crazy to be paying £3000 or so for full licenses that won't be needed in 8 months.

    Any ideas?


    (I can be e-mailed, for a short while, as
  2. elovabloke

    elovabloke LE Moderator

    Me thinks you have the answere already.
  3. All depends upon what the system is being used for and by who.

    Not sure how you got it into this. Your obviously a TA soldier. In what capacity are you asking this question in here and how come you will be operating someone elses equipment. Do you work for both organisations??

    If you are deploying with equipment owned and operated by another supplier, then the supplier is responsible for providing the license.

    If the army own it, then it "could" be used under the MOD corporate licensing scheme. But you need authority to do this, normally from one of the IPT teams.