MS Excel textbooks

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by maguire, Jun 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

anyone got any recommendations for 'teach yourself' textbooks for MS Excel?? are the '...for dummies' books any good generally? looking for a book about Excel - formulas, pivot tables, that kind of thing.

as someone says on an amazon review, the information is probably all there in the help files, but MS's help files are about as much help as piles and as easy to navigate as the south cape. I'd prefer to have something in my hand I can easily refer to, if that makes any sense.
  2. MS Excel pour Nuls (for Dummies) is excellent, the latest edition comes with an interactive CD.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Have a look here: Training -

If you havent already bought MS Office, consider downloading Open Office for free. It's fully compatible with MS Office too.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Thank you very much matt, thats ace - I had no idea they existed - I thought you were stuck with the help files.

as for open office being fully compatible with MS office, I heard that rumour too. ;)
  5. msr

msr LE

6. No worries. The laptop I was using in Thailand a couple of months ago shit itself when I got back to UK so I bought a Sony Vaio which came with MS Win 7, but no office software. On a whim i thought bollocks to MS and downloaded open office instead and have been using it since I got here two weeks ago with no dramas at all.
  7. HHH

HHH LE

I bought a new computer recently too, it came with just the Office Starter, so instead of buying the upgrade, I just downloaded Open Office for free.
    There has been no problem using any of my documents created with MS office, on the Open Office.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

fair enough, been some time since I used it - I stopped persisting with it after a while as everything I sent to people from Open Office seemed to be completely useless to anyone using MS products and vice versa.

so I downloaded an ISO of Office 2003 instead. :)