MRSA etc

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by boney_m, Sep 16, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, i know very little about procedure to prevent infection in hospitals, but i had to go to hospital recently after an injury (broken skin). The Doc took a new pair of latex gloves out of what i assume is a sterile pack and put them on. He then touched 2 door handles, a coffee cup and his pen before he tried to put his hands on me.

I called him on it and he changed his gloves. But is this just plane sloppy or is it just me??

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Must be a doctor thing.
  3. BM,

standards in hospitals shave gone down hill recently, which has seen the rise of MRSA etc. there are even worse "super bugs" out there believe me!

the problem is 3 fold:

1) Cleanliness in hospitals has gone down hill due to giving the contract to the cheapest firm, sloppy standards become the normal.
    2) Doctors give out drugs like they are sweets and they give the second or third generation antibiotics out when a first generation would suffice.
    3) Finally hospitals by their very nature breed resistent bugs, they are subjected to fierce cleaning agents and antibiotics, which develops resistance in them.

How to overcome? Good sterile techniques, which your Doctor didn't use! Use of low level antibiotics first and good cleaning techniques!

Christ, I should be the NHS Czar for cleanliness :wink:
  4. I am surprised to hear he put any gloves on in the first place. Most doctors seem to think they are sterile (aseptic and not infertile) and the only reason to wear gloves is to protect themselves from having to touch anything nasty, ie patients.
  5. I also forgot to mention BM, that patients should finish their treatment regime of antibiotics. Many a time patients don't finish the course and kill of the infection. The bug is left alive, albeit the patient thinks they are no "cured". This allows the bug to develop resistance-hence we now see MRSA.

Also there are a few other super-bugs that make MRSA look tame!