MRSA Breakthrough

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Thunderer, Aug 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Swansea University has isolated the chemical secreted by maggots which kills MRSA, C Diff and many other killer infections.

I have no link, having seen it on the ITV mid-day news. Good news nontheless.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Loverrrrly . . . . until they don't use it in hospitals properly and the virus's become resistant.

The agents we used to use were more than effective, but we didn't apply the process properly (by the book) in hospitals, thus allowing the viruses to survive and become resistant.

Will they change hospital practices to make sure this new anti-bacterial product stays ahead of the game? Will the hell's like.
  3. Using maggots to clean infection is a trick used up to world war 2 in this country, and while being distasteful is an excellent method to clean wounds back to viable flesh.
  4. ban visitors.

make staff and special visitors 'wash-in' and 'wash-out' like any other clean facility.

have more beds.

have single rooms.

build the fcking things properly - with materials that can be cleaned effectively

stop using sub-contracted labour to clean puke up

stop encouraging medical staff to ignore their waste management obligations.
  5. I had a hydrocele op a couple of years ago and my surgeon told me I would be infected post op. Yes, he got that right no maggot resolution to that one thank you.
  6. Every other week there is news of some break though about a subtance that kills MRSA. Why does everyone get so excited about it? There are plenty of antibiotics that can treat it and soap and water or alcohol gel will get rid of it from your hands.

The discovery of the substance that maggots secrete will take years before it gets into clinical practice. Is it capable of being used in humans? Can it reach the tissues in sufficient quantity to be effective without being toxic to the body etc etc?
  7. Here´s my MRSA breakthrough research. I wil provide it through the medium of 3 pictures that some up three major points.

That´ll be 1 million pounds please.
  8. Thats true, but eventually you will find resistant and immune pathogens. Its just a question of how long the honeymoon period lasts.
  9. That all depends on whether the Swansea Uni researchers go to Antigua or not!

I was in hospital last week and have to say was impressed at how much effort goes into avoiding infection now-everything from MRSA test swabs when admitted to actually seeing the nurses clean their hands constantly-mind you, they could've been nurses with OCD...
  10. Theres a brilliant chapter in Atul Gawande's book "better" which deals with cleanliness. A couple of hospitals tried something radical (read: followed guidlines and made it easier to do so) and found that their infection rates dropped close to zero and their costs dropped a great deal as well. Funnily enough, these 'radical' changes met with some opposition from the rest of the medical world.