Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

Not if you're going to use Americanisms like that I'm not.
"My" bloody "bad"?
Sorry for that old chap. However, one must lay the blame for my misspelling on the influence of these foreign cultures. Ya git me fam?

Despite from his total lack of cabinet or even ministerial experience.

Hey, he could be the Trump-like anti-Establishment protest candidate, apart from the fact he is the epitome of the Establishment. He's another 'marmite' character, not one to heal the wounds and gain consensus, either of the party or the electorate.
Even though he is of little Cabinet experience, his knowledge of our constitution and history would be immensely useful, and he would undoubtedly make a better job of PM than Treason May, who appears to have had the reverse midas touch, everything she touches turns to sh*te!
The situation is getting so bad that anything is better than the current incumbent of No10.

in fairness to @Mothman he doe have a point.

The adoption of The New Right in the 1970s reached a height in Mrs Thatcher's economic liberalism but social conservatism.

The belief now in the Tory party appears to be in private wealth but public poverty.

Not that we are any better off with the Jezbollah.

We've been here before, in 1820 the poet Shelly noted

The rich have become richer, and the poor have become poorer; and the vessel of the state is driven between the Scylla and Charybdis of anarchy and despotism

Even though he is of little Cabinet experience, his knowledge of our constitution and history would be immensely useful, and he would undoubtedly make a better job of PM than Treason May, who appears to have had the reverse midas touch, everything she touches turns to sh*te!
The situation is getting so bad that anything is better than the current incumbent of No10.
By little, none. And while I agree that without knowledge of history you cannot understand why things are as they are, leadership of a currently divided country through knowledge of the (unwritten) constitution and history is a very backward-facing way to take things forward. I'd much prefer a visionary to a historian (or pretty much anyone other than Passion Fingers May (everything she touches is f*cked).

Last edited:
By little, none. And while I agree that without knowledge of history you cannot understand why things are as they are, leadership of a currently divided country through knowledge of the (unwritten) constitution and history is a very backward-facing way to take things forward. I'd much prefer a visionary to a historian (or pretty much anyone other than Passion Fingers May (everything she touches is f*cked).
The main problem with the modern Conservative party, they have never planned for leadership succession, the field is open to select a new leader, but the field is barren. There are no candidates I can think of that could replace May, and May must be replaced immediately.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The main problem with the modern Conservative party, they have never planned for leadership succession, the field is open to select a new leader, but the field is barren. There are no candidates I can think of that could replace May, and May must be replaced immediately.

Then they just have to put a caretaker in and, if necessary, run the government by cabinet committee.

In extremis, no leader is better than a catastrophically bad leader. The public are politically inflamed in a way that they haven't been for possibly 80 years; they require someone to get a grip, and won't forgive if politicians dither or obfuscate any longer.

If the Tories don't pull their finger out pdq, I can see them being out of office for a decade or more.

Then they just have to put a caretaker in and, if necessary, run the government by cabinet committee.

In extremis, no leader is better than a catastrophically bad leader. The public are politically inflamed in a way that they haven't been for possibly 80 years; they require someone to get a grip, and won't forgive if politicians dither or obfuscate any longer.

If the Tories don't pull their finger out pdq, I can see them being out of office for a decade or more.
And don't we all remember that well with the election of 1997 and the rise of TB. Sadly the Tories were in a similar state of disarray at that time. We now are in a similar situation with a lightweight cabinet and a couple of potential stars who would only appeal to marginal elements. There needs to be some serious blood letting which the Party can't afford and If they piss of the DUP then the shaky margin is scunnered and its back to the country for a GE.
Don't then be surprised if it's not brutal battles for the marginals, no canvassing in the safe seats and coaches of young volunteers looking to put something on their CVs to get their gold duke of Edinburgh awards - because there are thousands who won't be pushing leaflets through any ones doors!

It appears the Geoffrey Howe analogy was dramatic effect only, as the outcome of the speech was not to dirk PMTM.

PMTM currently giving evidence to the Liason Comittee, live on BBC news channel and Sky news
SNP remainer did his best to give her a hard time. He muttered something about Scotland and Refurendum. Yvette Cooper doing the interrogation now. This sounds like it is getting a bit awkward ie having to defend the Chequers White Paper and tariffs.

Last edited:
It appears the Geoffrey Howe analogy was dramatic effect only, as the outcome of the speech was not to dirk PMTM.
It's curious to contrast the public displays of chest-beating over President Trump's election to office with the UK/this country's desperate need for far more rigorous standards of probity and accountability to be visited upon our own politicians.

I can't vote for the people that I respect, equally, I have no respect for the people that want my vote.

She's not comfortable at the mo' on Westminster Live.