Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

Who in their right mind wants the poisoned chalice of PM leading us out of Europe (notionally)?!
At this stage, I'd settle for the long past retirement age Caretaker at Conservative Party HQ, if he/she had the balls to tell our EU Overlords to "go and f*** themselves".

@slipperman

Quite fair, aside from the problem of my memory; it's also what came after him that probably has got the GMA on my memory off.

I get nervous about "committed" politicians, rather than pragmatic ones.

I keep remembering the lines from a Bluetones song;

And that man who would save us,
From the hurt the world brings,
Neglected to mention,
Who would save us from him?
Ah, the problem of negotiating the seas of life. I think I put on another thread a quote from a writer from my [now] dimly remembered days at University.

In political activity, then, men* sail a boundless and bottomless sea; there is neither harbour for shelter nor floor for anchorage, neither starting-place nor appointed destination. The enterprise is to keep afloat on an even keel; the sea is both friend and enemy; and the seamanship consists in using the resources of a traditional manner of behaviour in order to make a friend of every hostile occasion

*And women, but it was 1951 and ladies didn't exist then, obviously
In the triumph of ideology over pragmatism, there is the triumph of unreason. It, IMHO, reached its height with this comment.

Had enough of experts? Pity his vaulting ambition collpased so quickly after the referendum - but the suspicion has to be he would say and do anything in the support of his own ambition. Which is why he will burn rational thought if it will support his hot-air balloon to where he wants to go.

You and me both. My jaw literally hit the floor the day he stabbed Boris in the chest!

May needs to read this speech by Leo Amery to Chamberlain:

Somehow or other we must get into the Government men who can match our enemies in fighting spirit, in daring, in resolution and in thirst for victory. Some 300 years ago, when this House found that its troops were being beaten again and again by the dash and daring of the Cavaliers, by Prince Rupert's Cavalry, Oliver Cromwell spoke to John Hampden. In one of his speeches he recounted what he said. It was this: I said to him, "Your troops are most of them old, decayed serving men and tapsters and such kind of fellows.... You must get men of a spirit that are likely to go as far as they[e] will go, or you will be beaten still". It may not be easy to find these men. They can be found only by trial and by ruthlessly discarding all who fail and have their failings discovered. We are fighting to-day for our life, for our liberty, for our all; we cannot go on being led as we are. I have quoted certain words of Oliver Cromwell. I will quote certain other words. I do it with great reluctance, because I am speaking of those who are old friends and associates of mine, but they are words which, I think, are applicable to the present situation. This is what Cromwell said to the Long Parliament when he thought it was no longer fit to conduct the affairs of the nation: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go".

I doubt that she has the balls to do the honorable thing and resign.
Her lot, it would appear, is to the the piñata of the conservative party.

They are going to beat it for a few years, until this is all over and then get back to normal.

Is it me, or does anyone else find British politics odd. We've a "Conservative party" that is ripping up the past 40 years of British policy and a "Labour" party that wouldn't know work if it jumped up in front of them and slapped them in the face.

Just noticed - Christ, I sound like my grandfather did when I was growing up.

@Ho2331

Regidice though he may be, I have a fondness for Cromwell.

For me this has always been the soul of Britain.

I had rather have a plain, russet-coated Captain, that knows what he fights for, and loves what he knows, than that you call a Gentleman and is nothing else.
Edited - though the idealist in me still holds Colonel Thomas Rainsborough's demand for equality high,

"I desire that those that had engaged in it should speak, for really I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he; and therefore truly. Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government; and I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under; and I am confident that when I have heard the reasons against it, something will be said to answer those reasons, in so much that I should doubt whether he was an Englishman or no that should doubt of these things."

Her lot, it would appear, is to the the piñata of the conservative party.

They are going to beat it for a few years, until this is all over and then get back to normal.

Is it me, or does anyone else find British politics odd. We've a "Conservative party" that is ripping up the past 40 years of British policy and a "Labour" party that wouldn't know work if it jumped up in front of them and slapped them in the face.

Just noticed - Christ, I sound like my grandfather did when I was growing up.
I gave you a 'funny' for that post because there isn't an option for an 'angry, but in total agreement with you' one.
Conservative Government? My arrse.

@Ho2331

Regidice though he may be, I have a fondness for Cromwell.

For me this has always been the soul of Britain.
Sharing a surname with a Regicide who died in exile I agree entirely.

May needs to read this speech by Leo Amery to Chamberlain:

Somehow or other we must get into the Government men who can match our enemies in fighting spirit, in daring, in resolution and in thirst for victory. Some 300 years ago, when this House found that its troops were being beaten again and again by the dash and daring of the Cavaliers, by Prince Rupert's Cavalry, Oliver Cromwell spoke to John Hampden. In one of his speeches he recounted what he said. It was this: I said to him, "Your troops are most of them old, decayed serving men and tapsters and such kind of fellows.... You must get men of a spirit that are likely to go as far as they[e] will go, or you will be beaten still". It may not be easy to find these men. They can be found only by trial and by ruthlessly discarding all who fail and have their failings discovered. We are fighting to-day for our life, for our liberty, for our all; we cannot go on being led as we are. I have quoted certain words of Oliver Cromwell. I will quote certain other words. I do it with great reluctance, because I am speaking of those who are old friends and associates of mine, but they are words which, I think, are applicable to the present situation. This is what Cromwell said to the Long Parliament when he thought it was no longer fit to conduct the affairs of the nation: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go".
It was this speech which destroyed Neville Chamberlain's premiership; I wonder if a similar rhetorical device will shortly be used to destroy Theresa Mays?

It was this speech which destroyed Neville Chamberlain's premiership; I wonder if a similar rhetorical device will shortly be used to destroy Theresa Mays?
I know I have huge bias, but she based her appeal on being a solid technocrat.

Her record actually suggests the complete opposite.

But as I powerfully remember a DS saying of the Met, "We're shit, but we're the best there is. So how shit is everyone else?"

Not quite the St Crispin's Day speech, but we had to take what we could get in South London.

So how shit is everyone else in the Tory party then?

A lot of tories dislike Boris, and regard him as a buffoon. Hence, his lack of support the last time.
As per usual; the subject of europe is tearing the Conservative Party apart. If the Labour Party had anything in the way of a competent front brench, this current govt. would be toast. It's bad enough that Corbyn's Labour are ahead in the polls.

A lot of tories dislike Boris, and regard him as a buffoon. Hence, his lack of support the last time.
As per usual; the subject of europe is tearing the Conservative Party apart. If the Labour Party had anything in the way of a competent front brench, this current govt. would be toast. It's bad enough that Corbyn's Labour are ahead in the polls.
I have a lot of friends living in London who would love him back a mayor, especially after Khan has nearly turned it into a third world shithole...

Last edited: