Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

I saw Nicky Morgan on the box this morning, criticising the Brexit wing of the Conservatives and suggesting for the sake of the Goverment and 'the country' it was time for everyone to unite behind the PM. :roll: The same remain Morgan who has been on permanent send and crying about the referendum outcome for the past couple of years. You really couldn't make this shit up!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The government have apparently indicated that they are withdrawing a motion on Parliament going into recess early.

FFS, the woman has no authority left and can't even send the poor buggers off on a few days holiday.

She obviously does not have the confidence of parliament do should go asap.

May’s resignation looms By Peter Divey
http://commentcentral.co.uk/mays-resignation-looms/

Edited to add summary.

Note that the article appears to have created understandable interest and the Comment Central server is getting hammered.

"With support among her MPs and Party members continuing to collapse Theresa May’s resignation is a matter of when, not if, says Peter Divey. A stark choice has been laid bare. Support the eiderdown “association arrangement” from Chequers or risk losing Brexit. It is an ultimatum and a warning. A bird in the hand is especially precious if the bush is empty. Policy can no longer evolve if it is extinct."

Last edited:
The government have apparently indicated that they are withdrawing a motion on Parliament going into recess early.

FFS, the woman has no authority left and can't even send the poor buggers off on a few days holiday.

She obviously does not have the confidence of parliament do should go asap.
Or the Party faithful!
The fact the Conservatives are tearing themselves apart before our eyes is quite frightening. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a political party split before our eyes. The animosity within the ranks makes teamwork an alien concept could you see Morgan and Jacob or Boris and Sowerby working together - not a snowball's chance in hell!
Just to say it doesn't stop there, Conservative association leaders have been summoned to Downing Street in an attempt to quell a grassroots backlash against Theresa May’s Brexit plan.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Or the Party faithful!
The fact the Conservatives are tearing themselves apart before our eyes is quite frightening. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a political party split before our eyes. The animosity within the ranks makes teamwork an alien concept could you see Morgan and Jacob or Boris and Sowerby working together - not a snowball's chance in hell!
Just to say it doesn't stop there, Conservative association leaders have been summoned to Downing Street in an attempt to quell a grassroots backlash against Theresa May’s Brexit plan.
That may just backfire, also, if the Chairmen/women say to PMTM that they don't support her! It will be interesting to hear if it is a case of a statement being made and then the Chairs being sent back to their constituencies, or if there will be a Q&A session (good luck on getting an answer). Either way is open to trouble if the chairs don't like being talked down to or if they ask the wrong question which May won't answer.

Life must be a bundle of fun for PMTM.

That'll really work... They're the ones she's trying to sell out.
Are you psychic, It's already happening!
Gavin Barwell, Mrs May’s chief of staff, has already had a conference call with regional leaders. One participant said Mr Barwell got “spanked”, adding: “Most associations had polled between 70 and 80 percent opposed to the plan.”

Ian Whittaker on why Esther McVey might be the one to watch

"David’s piece yesterday was very insightful on the mechanics for how a new Conservative leader could be elected. I wanted to add a few thoughts on what has happened over the past week, and what are the betting implications on the political front."

First of all, standing back, the last week has been, objectively, a disaster for Theresa May. That may seem harsh and it puts me odd with David and Mike. But, logically, there is no other conclusion.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory leadership – an alternative view

Hmm. I'm not convinced. (Twists and turns aplenty this year though) Mistakenly misleading the commons over the NAO's recommendations re universal credit did her reputation some damage.

Ian Whittaker on why Esther McVey might be the one to watch

"David’s piece yesterday was very insightful on the mechanics for how a new Conservative leader could be elected. I wanted to add a few thoughts on what has happened over the past week, and what are the betting implications on the political front."

First of all, standing back, the last week has been, objectively, a disaster for Theresa May. That may seem harsh and it puts me odd with David and Mike. But, logically, there is no other conclusion.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory leadership – an alternative view

Hmm. I'm not convinced. (Twists and turns aplenty this year though) Mistakenly misleading the commons over the NAO's recommendations re universal credit did her reputation some damage.
Not sure about Esther. However one to watch who is a leaver, ticks the diversity box and will have the Defence fraternities back is Penny Mordaunt. She covers a lot of the fractions and has kept her mouth quiet and her powder dry.

I have to admit, I am really enjoying Mrs May getting shanked repeatedly and crawl back to No 10.

I am waiting for her to call all her MP's in for a nice dinner and a chat about team work.