Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

Watch their rally in London at Olympia tonight. It's well worth the 30 mins. One thing Farage said is once Thursday is over they will start the next process for a GE. They already have something on their website for people to apply. He's dead set on smashing Westminster.

The Brexit genie is out of the bottle and the Brexit Party are on the war path. If they can keep doing what they are doing and Brexit still hasn't been delivered by 2022 then they'll win enough seats to make them a serious party and one capable of building towards being in power.
Thanks for the reminder. Found the video and posted on the Farage's big return thread.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/farage’s-big-return.292225/post-9284213

I think that the 'hype and hysteria' surrounding the Brexit party will fade long before we get to fixed term GE. By then Brexit will have either happened or it will have been quietly consigned to the 'a good idea but before its time' bin.

A GE in the much nearer future and TBP would be a force to be reckoned with... except it won't be because it is not ready or capable of fighting a general election.

Farage is not a stayer either. As momentum fades he'll lose interest and after a fanfare departure, will go back to his comfortable obscurity (perhaps as an MEP, perhaps not).
Farage not a stayer? He's spent 20 years plus fighting to get the UK out of the EU.

As I said, take the time to watch the rally. He even states he took his eye off the ball because he thought that Brexit had been won. Called it the biggest political mistake of his life.

Look what they have achieved in 5 1/2 weeks. 3 years is more than enough time to be ready to fight an election.

Dangerous game to play
Indeed it is but I don't believe it is the game she is playing. T'was but a moment of musing.

No doubt we will one day learn what it is that has driven the wretched woman to self destruct and potentially take the Conservative party out as collateral damage.

I think at some point there needs to be an enquiry into how she has operated. I'm sure that once she's gone there will be lots of stories coming out as to just how bad she has been.
I think we are past inquiry, and with the mood of the country, there needs to be real consequence for some of the seditious behaviour, and 'i don't, use that term lightly or as a glib throw away either'.

Across Government, the Civil Service and some in the Corporate world. Oof course jail time is not likely, and the treason laws where nurtured during Blair time, but they really need too, fcuk right off out of public sight, be cold shouldered from the part of the establishment that has not has not been poisoned by the fcuking weasels, and particularly forget about doing media pundit circuit. Else wise there may be tears before bedtime.

Indeed it is but I don't believe it is the game she is playing. T'was but a moment of musing.

No doubt we will one day learn what it is that has driven the wretched woman to self destruct and potentially take the Conservative party out as collateral damage.
See post #4,224... She is not in full control and is a puppet on a string to a degree, but...

Farage not a stayer? He's spent 20 years plus fighting to get the UK out of the EU.

As I said, take the time to watch the rally. He even states he took his eye off the ball because he thought that Brexit had been won. Called it the biggest political mistake of his life.

Look what they have achieved in 5 1/2 weeks. 3 years is more than enough time to be ready to fight an election.
We must agree to disagree on this one. Farage / TBP are riding a spectacular wave of political unrest currently. That wave will run out of energy the instant the main parties get a grip. The kicking meted out by TBP on Thursday will be the wake up call to those main parties but beyond that...?

It takes some skill and determination to make a shit idea progressively worse with each iteration and piss off increasing numbers of your own MP's and party members in the process.

But she has done it. And this headline says it all

She'll be gone before June. I doubt if she'll even be allowed to put her revised offer to Parliament. By way of an added bonus, she may have pushed the Tory vote into single figures on Thursday.

I repeat my earlier statement that May has an undiagnosed mental condition. Even by her high standards, this was an epic miscalculation that could only have been made by someone not fully connected to reality.

Wordsmith
It would be interesting to see what her contra-indicators are.
I recall the flunkeys for that Scottish cretin were at great pains to ensure he was not fed coffee, nuts or red wine as apparently these would completely bugger up the meds he was on-not the sort that your common or garden GP could prescribe unless they were moonlighting from Broadmoor.

Its a tricky question, I always thought that it should have been rescued when it was a British company, but that fcuking labour weasel Mandelson chinned that off.

It is a strategic asset, but is it India's asset or the UK's. As with so much infrastructure, we don't as a nation own it but we pay for it. PPI on steroids. Fcuking Labour.

Much like the car industry outside of niche manufacturers they are all foreign owned, so why would they care about manufacturing in the UK when Turkey was cheaper for Ford and Slovakia is Jaguar land-rovers cheap choice.

Thinking back to the 70's if Citroën had proposed manufacturing in any nation other than France well the 'Guillotine' would have been wheeled out pretty dam quick.
The means of steel production & technical know-how are strategic assets. The actual ownership is less important, as so long as those two remain in the UK, ownership can be "adjusted" should need become paramount.
Add to that the cost of paying benefits to 10,000 steel workers, their families & those whose jobs depended on steelworkers' wages & the picture's a different shade entirely.
£200 a week in benefits per week for 10k workers is a tad over £100 million a year & that's without the knock-on effects that would double the figure.
I'd agree to bailing the industry out but for a serious slice of the pie.
It's not anti capitalist to do so; it's common sense.

The means of steel production & technical know-how are strategic assets. The actual ownership is less important, as so long as those two remain in the UK, ownership can be "adjusted" should need become paramount.
Add to that the cost of paying benefits to 10,000 steel workers, their families & those whose jobs depended on steelworkers' wages & the picture's a different shade entirely.
£200 a week in benefits per week for 10k workers is a tad over £100 million a year & that's without the knock-on effects that would double the figure.
I'd agree to bailing the industry out but for a serious slice of the pie.
It's not anti capitalist to do so; it's common sense.
See my post #4,231, I agree it is a strategic asset, since finding out that TATA no longer own it is the Governments responsibility, to solve the problem.

While it may seem counter intuitive for a idealogical free market conservative, to accept your solution, is viable either economically or from a political idealogical position. I have to agree with it in the round, of course the devil will always be in the detail and it's implementation.

I am always stating my disgust the the Conservatives have been seen to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, particularly regarding strategic assets and infrastructure. Well here is a clear case to show that conservatism can change that mindset, and show they can be trusted with maintaining the nations abilities to manage its assets, long term.

They haven't done a good job so far but, neither has the Labour Governments of the past and in the future it seems is based on whole scale implementation of 'Tractor Factory No 123. :roll:

I do sometimes think that while firearm ownership, even before the various bans was not particularly wide spread outside of the countryside, unlike as it is in the US. But the thought and fear of an personal armed citizenry, and again not even a wide spread one, scares the bejesus out of Government... That is happy to embrace tyranny. Little wonder that Blair must have thanked his lucky stars when 'Dunblane, happened.
It still is rather widespread, more than I think many realise. The issue is measuring total number of guns and certs per head of population, not looking at how its focused. If you ripped out a few big cities and had a look at the situation in Ruralshire you'd see that fire arms ownership is bloody common, even in big towns and cities.
The amount of firearms markers you can find when you drop down a 500m radius circle in some cities is rather interesting.
Of course because most people don't shout it from the roof tops or openly wave their guns around, no one knows that the Smiths down and #4 all have their own guns and go shooting once a month.

It still is rather widespread, more than I think many realise. The issue is measuring total number of guns and certs per head of population, not looking at how its focused. If you ripped out a few big cities and had a look at the situation in Ruralshire you'd see that fire arms ownership is bloody common, even in big towns and cities.
The amount of firearms markers you can find when you drop down a 500m radius circle in some cities is rather interesting.
Of course because most people don't shout it from the roof tops or openly wave their guns around, no one knows that the Smiths down and #4 all have their own guns and go shooting once a month.
While since I surrendered, my pistols during the 'Purge' and stopped civilian shooting, kept my FAC for the pump actions but couldnt take them on my next posting so dropped out of following, the practical shooting scene. Most of the people I knew also gave it up including two RFD, who i believe moved to the states, as the firearms ban killed their livelihood.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

It takes some skill and determination to make a shit idea progressively worse with each iteration and piss off increasing numbers of your own MP's and party members in the process.

But she has done it. And this headline says it all
Look at the photos of May's face - that's the face of someone under huge mental strain. @History_Man posted a photo of her in her official car a few days ago - similar haunted expression. As I've said before, she's almost certainly sleeping and eating badly as well as her world goes tits up around her, her authority seeps away, her party increasingly openly call for her resignation and she attracts nothing but heavily negative coverage in the media.

May is not in a good place...

Wordsmith

I'm what you might call a natural conservative. Apart from when I voted for Blair in 97 (and earlier than that once for the Liberals, due to an excellent candidate in my constituency going up against an utter cretin wearing the blue rosette), I've consistently voted for the Tory Party. Last year I actually joined the Party, wanting to help it actually become conservative again, to no avail. This year for the first time since I was able to vote, I spoiled my ballot in a local election because I couldn't bear to support my own Party. I will be voting for the Brexit Party this week in the hope that it scares the Parliamentary Conservative Party back into doing what it promised to. The woman who has presided over the Tory descent into farce and betrayal is still Prime Minister, unbelievably.

Previous Tory leaders have been of varying quality it's fair to say; looking at Major, it's no wonder they lost in 97. Cameron, whilst not what I would call a Conservative, was in my opinion an excellent political operator, and as PM was miles better than what came before or after him. Superb debater in the House, clarity of purpose (not that I agreed with him, but at least he knew what he wanted and how to get it), capability for compromise and hard bargaining in coalition and an ability to hold the various Party factions if not together, then at least on sturdy leashes. His Brexit miscalculation (which I was delighted by) and subsequent huffy resignation shouldn't detract from his ability to govern.

May's departure, while not a given considering her dogged refusal to do anything except the wrong thing, is the next best thing to a dead cert. Looking at the polls, and reading the mood of the country in general, I believe the only hope the Tory Party has of remaining in power is to install Boris Johnson as PM post haste, and depart the EU under WTO rules as soon as possible. The only viable alternative to this, allowing Corbyn into power, is to me terrifying, as I believe it should be to anyone with a reasonable grasp of reality.

Treason May and her government are so wrapped up failing with Brexit that the fate of British Steel appears to be of no concern. Without government support, at relatively little cost compared to other (vanity) government projects, it will be gone and Corbyn will appear dangerously attractive.
No surprise there - the powers that be don't want to raise the issue of EU-imposed limitations on state support given tomorrow's little exercise in democracy.