Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What Krankie is still ignoring, although she and Eck were told about it in 2014 and chose to ignore it then too, is the “Prodi doctrine”, this is that a breakaway state would have to leave the European Union and could then only be let back in if it has gained independence in accordance with constitutional law in the member state it left. This was also raised in 2017 in the case of Catalonia.

They also currently have loads of "backstabbing" unlike the Cons who are at least stabbing from the front.
SNP are more in to the face to face square-go as is happening with the likes of Jo Cherry! :eek:

Then maybe you should be clearer when trying to make a point? Unless of course you are Holly then your post makes complete and utter sense :)
Of course,

The OP made the point that an upper house should be populated with randoms.

I postulated that Holly (or Hollie) was an indicator of the danger of having no checks and balances under such a proposal.

Does that explain it better or should I continue to patronise you?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
While I agree that is the ultimate outcome, the muppets were put forward by their Party leaving the poor voter with a poor choice.

I suppose the question should be why can UK political Parties not attract decent candidates for MP?
The solution to that is local primaries. The local party puts up three candidates for the seat and any voter who is a registered supporter of that party gets to vote as to which candidate is adopted. It would put the initial choice of the candidate up to the people likely to vote for that candidate - although that candidate would still have to win the FPTP contest for the seat.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The solution to that is local primaries. The local party puts up three candidates for the seat and any voter who is a registered supporter of that party gets to vote as to which candidate is adopted. It would put the initial choice of the candidate up to the people likely to vote for that candidate - although that candidate would still have to win the FPTP contest for the seat.

Wordsmith
They have something similar to that in the USofA but still ended up with Trump! :)

Wordsmith
I'd like those primaries to be open to all voters in a constituency.
That way, the chosen candidates should be the best available, rather than ones chosen for their stance within the party.
Of course this is based on those voting in the primaries wanting the best for their constituency, no matter which party won the actual election.
I'd far rather have a competent & dedicated Labour MP than a venal & useless Tory one.

That way, the chosen candidates should be the best available, rather than ones chosen for their stance within the party.
Of course this is based on those voting in the primaries wanting the best for their constituency, no matter which party won the actual election.
I'd far rather have a competent & dedicated Labour MP than a venal & useless Tory one.
Even if that resulted in a Marxist like Corbyn running the country?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
You mean like the Labour party created £3 memberships to encourage ordinary voters to vote it its last leadership election?

That definitely resulted in the best available candidate being chosen....

Wordsmith :smile:

You mean like the Labour party created £3 memberships to encourage ordinary voters to vote it its last leadership election?

Curiously enough in the view of the myriad students who joined under those circumstances, probably yes. Altough the Tories amongst them are probably not so sure now.

While i believe we can all agree that the current political class across all sides of the political spectrum are 'Pump' and the electoral system is not working well, we as voters particularly those who are party members again on all sides, have some responsibility for that also.

The one good thing that May in particular and the rest of the worthless bludgers, have 'done' in the process of fcuking up the Conservative party. There is a good chance that constituency parties will fcuk central office off at the high port, regarding candidate choice in the future.

Of course that will take time, to put things straight as many constituency parties are bloody useless, this was another reason i binned my membership.

As for first past the post and the two party choice that leaves many saying its the only choice they have, that too is on borrowed time.

I don't know if PR and thus the danger of less stable collation governance, with smaller parties is the perfect answer but as things stand now it cannot be much worse.

edit grammar

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do tell what is the story on blessed fcuktard cherry... :-D
She has been accused of bullying her staff. Charry in return says this is being organised by SNP insiders!

Fun n games! :geek:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
While i believe we can all agree that the current political class across all sides of the political spectrum are 'Pump' and the electoral system is not working well, we as voters particularly those who are party members again on all sides, have some responsibility for that also.

The one good thing that May in particular and the rest of the worthless bludgers, have 'done' in the process of fcuking up the Conservative party. There is a good chance that constituency parties will fcuk central office off at the high port, regarding candidate choice in the future.

Of course that will take time, to put things straight as many constituency parties are bloody useless, this was another reason i binned my membership.

As for first past the post and the two party choice that leaves many saying its the only choice they have, that too is on borrowed time.

I don't know if PR and thus the danger of less stable collation governance, with smaller parties is the perfect answer but as things stand now it cannot be much worse.
My presence would be for open primaries where registered supporters of a party vote for one of three three candidates to represent that party. That way local voters would get a candidate of whom they approved to represent that party in a GE.

I would also have a 'none of the above' option in the primary to stop the party imposing their preferred candidate plus two non-entities as a choice.

Having improved the quality of candidate standing, I'd then still use FPTP for a GE - that delivers majority governments. PR tends to result in coalitions that take a long time to form and where the small parties impose otherwise unpopular policies on the major parties in the coalition as a price for support. The classic case of that is Israel where ultra-religious parties impose policies that just widen the divide between Jew and Arab.

Wordsmith

1558010114109.png

Full text: Geoffrey Cox’s Onward speech – ‘if I can raise any humour tonight it’s going to be gallows humour’ | Coffee House

As Cox reminds us he is a lawyer and as such I found the transcript of his speech overly long. Translation:
  • Oh what a great gallery.
  • Oh what a great think tank (working towards the engagement of youth in Conservative politics which is a real problem and has been for generations).
  • A metaphorical caution on sending May to the political gallows while the foundation of the party is in an unsafe state.
  • The significance of the democratic vote must be accepted if the party is to survive. His use of language is targeted towards the audience, not the public.
He disputes the accuracy of the transcript. Perhaps his physical speech varied from the script he had memorised? Perhaps he want's to distance himself from any potential deciphering of the "humour"?

Constituences might think more of their own future, rather than the comedy value.
Apart from that; the £3 memberships didn't actually change the outcome, as Corbyn would have won without them.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but May is currently fighting off demands for her resignation.

Theresa May to plead for her job as she meets senior Tory backbenchers amid calls to quit - follow live updates
Theresa May has now been in the meeting with members of the 1922 Committee executive for more than an hour. Known as the men and women in grey suits, the Tory backbench leaders are meeting with the PM to discuss the roadmap for her departure from No10. Executive committee member Nigel Evans left the meeting without comment a few minutes ago and headed in the direction of an MPs tearoom. A senior aide to the PM is still sitting outside her Commons office, suggesting that the meeting is ongoing.
[May has just left the meeting without comment]

BoJo has also thrown his hat into the ring.
Boris Johnson has announced that he will run to succeed Theresa May. The former foreign secretary said: "Of course I'm going to go for it."
Wordsmith

Latest Threads