Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

Sorry @Oddbod , you think they will let someone who isn't an MP, who has failed to become an MP seven times now and who once came behind a man dressed as a dolphin in a vote become Prime Minister?
But good old Nige is looking for a job, now that the MEP gig is coming to an end, and his idea of being Ambassador to the United States came to nothing.... I mean he has not been leading one of the opponents of the Conservatives, has he?

Oh!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If Mrs May has lost the DUP then her majority comes down to 3 I believe. She has also lost a lot of her own party back bencher support plus five of her cabinet who could go at any minute. She is basically running on empty.

Does the gliteratti of Arrse think that HMQ would be within her rights, and indeed doing her job, if she put this to May and asked her to prove she has a government or she would call Corbyn and ask him if he could form a government?
Looks like John McDonnell has been reading my post above as this morning he raised this very point. :D Played on Brillo's Daily Politics do don't have a link.

Pass me the mess Webley for being in tune with J McD!

Sorry @Oddbod , you think they will let someone who isn't an MP, who has failed to become an MP seven times now and who once came behind a man dressed as a dolphin in a vote become Prime Minister?
Not at all.
But he'd make a better job of it than you, with your selective memory or the current incumbent who has a track record as an out & out Remainer.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose getting millions of votes in a GE so that DC was pushed into being the poodle of the Lib Dems and had to offer a Brexit referendum in the next one doesn't count? Without Nige we would be tied to the EU for ever. At least there is still a chance of getting out in spite of DC's pusillanimous replacement.

1542820654437.png
1542820365260.png

Anyone for a bit of Private Eye Lookalikes?

Not at all.
But he'd make a better job of it than you, with your selective memory or the current incumbent who has a track record as an out & out Remainer.
What am I supposed to have a selective memory about Oddbod?

I doubt he would make a better of job of it, to be honest. His record as an MEP is spectacularly poor and is a litany of grandstanding and not really bothering to do any of the work he was actually employed to do.

I suppose getting millions of votes in a GE so that DC was pushed into being the poodle of the Lib Dems and had to offer a Brexit referendum in the next one doesn't count?
Correct. It means absolutely f*ck all.

In the 2015 General Election he failed to win in the constituency he was standing in, his seventh consecutive failure in Parliamentary elections. Although it is possible for someone who's not an MP to become PM, the last one was just short of 120 years ago so it's not exactly something to pin your hopes on.

You're right that his party got millions of votes (not him personally - he got just over 16,000 votes, his best ever result by a massive margin). That left them with a grand total of 1 MP, a mere 329 behind the election winners and 325 short of the number required for an overall majority. They proceeded to lose that seat in the 2017 election as their vote collapsed.

Some may say that him not being an MP and his party having zero MPs might be a problem in becoming Prime Minister but I presume you can see a way around that?

Last edited:
What am I supposed to have a selective memory about Oddbod?

I doubt he would make a better of job of it, to be honest. His record as an MEP is spectacularly poor and is a litany of grandstanding and not really bothering to do any of the work he was actually employed to do.
You deliberately harked back to a distant election & ignored his position as an MEP & the person who brought about UKIP's huge win in the last EU elections, thus paving the way for the referendum & subsequent victory for Leave.

Whine on...

You deliberately harked back to a distant election & ignored his position as an MEP & the person who brought about UKIP's huge win in the last EU elections, thus paving the way for the referendum & subsequent victory for Leave.

Whine on...
Can you explain the relevance of being an MEP to becoming Prime Minister? Do you stop needing to do silly things like actually manage to become an MP or have your party get a majority if you win some European election that the huge majority of voters couldn't care less about and barely bother with?

Your tantrum is hilarious though. Did the nasty man make you cry being mean to the failed politician who had to go and sit in the European Parliament because no one is stupid enough to vote for him in a British election?

Just found this rather alarming report concerning part of PMTM deal with EU.

www.politicschannel.co.uk and find May's Defence Sell-out.

All about how Civil Servants ( it names three ) have been creating a web of links to various EU defence related groups.
Any one link may be justifiable eg we can buy bullets cheaper.
Put all the links together and you have a situation where, like it or not, Brexit or no Brexit, the EU will have a high level of control on where we fight, who we fight, with what equipment we fight and so on.

It's 20 minutes long and has me worried.
And, if it is exactly as portrayed, we don't have Civil Servants whose Remainer opinions are just that, personal opinions.

No, this is more like a deliberate act of subterfuge.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
But that was last week.
I wish...more like 25 years ago!

Seriously though, 95% of the CS are 'doers'. There are a comparatively few that provide advice to ministers on policy, and usually that advice is couched in either legal or technical terms, about why that ministry can/can't take a particular course, or what the cost implications of such a policy course might be.

There are very few 'political' appointments or advisors in a ministry*, and they aren't CS. So in the case of any major policy the senior CS might well be laying out the legal, technical, procedural and financial ramifications of the options; they might even make estimates of likely media reaction, and they might make recommendations based on those considerations, but the choice, and considerations of any 'political' implications would be for the minister alone.

The Head of the CS safeguards the political independence of the CS very carefully; one way he does that is to scrutinise any controversial policy decision to ensure that the CS aren't pushing a particular political agenda.

Of course, a problem can arise when politicians push an agenda that is politically expedient but which flies in the face of technical advice. But in those circumstances the politicians get the last say.

But as I mentioned, I'm hugely out of date, and maybe there's a wider gap between theory and practice. Maybe @jim30 is better placed to comment? But for me, slagging off the CS in this case is an easy target for the red tops.

* Compared with the US in particular.