Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Back to Mrs M. My take, in spite of her rising to be PM, is that she is fundamentally a weak character. She will bully those over whom she perceives herself to have an advantage, but if anyone stands up to her, her instinct is to cave in and grovel. We have seen this over and over in the Brexit negotiation, starting with an offer of a massive bribe which has been followed by giving way to almost every challenge. All along each maudlin surrender is grasped by the EU which gives nothing in turn, just comes back for more, which is duly handed over. Roll on the 'disaster' of a total, clean, no-deal Brexit with all these capitulations wiped out.

We need a leader who will stand up to the EU and fight our corner.

Back to Mrs M. My take, in spite of her rising to be PM, is that she is fundamentally a weak character. She will bully those over whom she perceives herself to have an advantage, but if anyone stands up to her, her instinct is to cave in and grovel. We have seen this over and over in the Brexit negotiation, starting with an offer of a massive bribe which has been followed by giving way to almost every challenge. All along each maudlin surrender is grasped by the EU which gives nothing in turn, just comes back for more, which is duly handed over. Roll on the 'disaster' of a total, clean, no-deal Brexit with all these capitulations wiped out.

We need a leader who will stand up to the EU and fight our corner.
I don't recognise your description of PMTM at all. I've come to the conclusion she was selected as the "best of the worst" (and of course she isn't BJ) and is someone who relies heavily on advice from SPADs as she is that paranoid and lacking in confidence she believes her Cabinet and MPs are all out to stab her in the back over the slightest thing (even the biscuits at NAAFI break).

She appears to want her Cabinet colleagues, MPs and foreign dignitaries to like her, as a pal and a woman of substance, rather than respect her as a successful political figure and will allow herself to be out manoevred because she either isn't sufficiently briefed in depth on potential discussion topics or she can't retain and use the information she is given.

Being a Remoaner, she will mentally discard anything the Brexiteers say whilst appearing to support them until the point her SPADs inform her to do something else instead.

I am a Brexiteer and was hoping for a well worked out and mutually beneficial arrangement for our leaving, I'm no longer hopeful and believe a no deal Brexit may be the best option for the UK, bearing in mind Scotland & Wales won't be happy but they can always go along the independance route.

I don't recognise your description of PMTM at all. I've come to the conclusion she was selected as the "best of the worst" (and of course she isn't BJ) and is someone who relies heavily on advice from SPADs as she is that paranoid and lacking in confidence she believes her Cabinet and MPs are all out to stab her in the back over the slightest thing (even the biscuits at NAAFI break).

She appears to want her Cabinet colleagues, MPs and foreign dignitaries to like her, as a pal and a woman of substance, rather than respect her as a successful political figure and will allow herself to be out manoevred because she either isn't sufficiently briefed in depth on potential discussion topics or she can't retain and use the information she is given.

Being a Remoaner, she will mentally discard anything the Brexiteers say whilst appearing to support them until the point her SPADs inform her to do something else instead.

I am a Brexiteer and was hoping for a well worked out and mutually beneficial arrangement for our leaving, I'm no longer hopeful and believe a no deal Brexit may be the best option for the UK, bearing in mind Scotland & Wales won't be happy but they can always go along the independance route.

The break up of the UK and economic decline weren't part of the sunny uplands propaganda.

I suspect you may have been conned.

The break up of the UK and economic decline weren't part of the sunny uplands propaganda.

I suspect you may have been conned.
I never said it was, in fact I have taken great delight in our First Minister St. Nicola of Krankie, having been put in her place by successive Westminster and EU politicians.

Oh, and anyone who thinks or thought the UK leaving the EU or even staying in it meant the future was going to be simple, rosy and financially beneficial for all is deluded to say the least. Nothing good could ever have come from a referendum to leave the EU and, I believe, it was the biggest attempt to bluff the UK electorate we've ever seen, hence the mess we're in now and hence why Cameron is yesterdays man, as it will be for all his acolytes.

... starting with an offer of a massive bribe...
Wasn't that "massive bribe" simply payment of our usual EU fees for the remainder of our membership plus payment for our current share of present liabilities? (Pensions & whatnot).

As such it is amusingly similar to the "bus" number.

True, there are things with more backbone than TM living in my fridge's crisper drawer, but leaving without a bill of any kind always struck me as unlikely.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
We could have demanded an itemised, audited account to present to the public instead of committing some outrageous sum of MY money without any explanation. But we were too WET.

Wasn't that "massive bribe" simply payment of our usual EU fees for the remainder of our membership plus payment for our current share of present liabilities? (Pensions & whatnot).

As such it is amusingly similar to the "bus" number.

True, there are things with more backbone than TM living in my fridge's crisper drawer, but leaving without a bill of any kind always struck me as unlikely.
Tbh this whole membership thing kind of gets on my nerves. Yes we were members, we will no longer be members. But first and foremost as massive net contributors we are shareholders. We paid fortunes to build the club. Just because we don't want to pay the green fees anymore does not invalidate the fact we built a large chunck of it.

They should be paying us.

We could have demanded an itemised, audited account to present to the public instead of committing some outrageous sum of MY money without any explanation. But we were too WET.
It's always somebody else's fault, isn't it. You did know what you were voting for, I take it?

Tbh this whole membership thing kind of gets on my nerves. Yes we were members, we will no longer be members. But first and foremost as massive net contributors we are shareholders. We paid fortunes to build the club. Just because we don't want to pay the green fees anymore does not invalidate the fact we built a large chunck of it.

They should be paying us.

I understand your confusion and disappointment.

I bet we'll end up with no deal and paying the exit fee anyway. What else might PMTM give away between now and next March?

The secret recipe for Worcestershire sauce?
Our shiny new aircraft carriers?
Prince George?
The pound?
The governments entire stock of British passports to be handed to ISIS fighters returning from Syria?
The James Bond franchise?

I bet we'll end up with no deal and paying the exit fee anyway. What else might PMTM give away between now and next March?

The secret recipe for Worcestershire sauce?
Our shiny new aircraft carriers?
Prince George?
The pound?
The governments entire stock of British passports to be handed to ISIS fighters returning from Syria?
The James Bond franchise?

She's done remarkably well so far. The Party Conference season next month promises to be interesting.

Latest Threads