Mrs May - whither (or wither) the Tory Party

According to the BBC (PM Programme this evening) the complaints made to the Conservative party are "dozens" including, allegedly, 100 complaints raised by Muslim women. Firstly Boris made comments about their being forced to wear the Burqa/Niqab, but admitted that it was their right to do so, now we have allegedly 100 Muslim women complaining about his description. I wonder how many of those women are free to vote Conservative of their own volition.
Not forgetting of course, the Labour doyen of honesty and integrity, Naz Shah demanding his head cos' he's being beastly to Muslim Wimmen! :roll:

According to the BBC (PM Programme this evening) the complaints made to the Conservative party are "dozens" including, allegedly, 100 complaints raised by Muslim women. Firstly Boris made comments about their being forced to wear the Burqa/Niqab, but admitted that it was their right to do so, now we have allegedly 100 Muslim women complaining about his description. I wonder how many of those women are free to vote Conservative of their own volition.
It was probably their husbands complaining on their behalf.

I disagree with Boris calling them a letterbox or bankrobber.

I've always likened them to daleks.
Although I once saw two together who reminded me of a giant, black, condiment set.

A load of fools showing their right on, PC credentials & getting their knickers in a twist over nothing.
The sort who promote free speech until someone says something they disagree with.
There's plenty of them about & they're given a voice by the media that is way disproportianate to their numbers.
Apart from that, anyone who wants to wear a particular attire without anyone else making derogatory comments can either not wear it, or go & live somewhere else where it's more acceptable.
But they wont, because it's better here.

I find it highly instructive that despite reams of articles in the Guardian on this, some of which are bordering on hysteria, not a single one has been opened for comments. Even though the average CIF contributers rarely misses an opportunity to slate Boris, when it comes to the ROP and the repressive nature of the burqa, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and an Arrse poster!

I don't think so, really. They're going through the mill at the moment, which would be a serious threat if the Labour Party wasn't in a similar condition. I was listening to something the other day suggesting the formation of a new centrist party composed of disaffected Labour and Tory politicians. I really can't see that happening. The Tories have no tradition of rebellion of this sort and the Labour Party still remembers the SDP fiasco at the beginning of the 80s.

As for UKIP... forget it. The voters have seen how incapable they were of holding things together after the referendum was done.

Blood will be spilled, but I suspect that it will all take place within the respective parties. I might well be wrong, though. Who knows?

In some ways it's an opportunity going begging. I have not felt inclined to vote for anyone in years. No one speaks for me and I cannot be alone in this.
There's certainly a big gravitational pull amongst the party faithful (particularly the grandees) to keep the party together. No doubt they want the blood spilt internally and behind closed doors if possible.

Any centrifugal force splitting the party will have to overcome the twin humps you mention: the spectre of UKIP on the right and the SDP on the left. I'm sure even BoJo won't want to split the party. But I do suspect that he wants to use the shift to the right to his own advantage.

The question is: if/when the shift happens, does party loyalty trump* the desires of those who would prefer to stay in the centre? Can the party avoid a split, especially when there appears the chance of a similar split in Labour? That could leave a new centrist grouping in a dominant position, if you have Momentum on the left and UKIP+BoJo et al on the right...

* The English language is going to need to find a new word for this bridge/whist metaphor...

Sorry for the lack of pictures and the long text - worth reading.
This was on today's Conservative Home page and written by a non foaming at the mouth rabid Liberal but by Munira Mirza a former Deputy Mayor of London, and co-author of the Policy Exchange report ‘Living apart together: British Muslims and the paradox of multiculturalism’.

Johnson genuinely dislikes the burka, and has felt this way for as long as I’ve known him. Not because he is ignorant about Islam. Quite the opposite. He knows far more about Islam and Islamic cultures than most of the politicians who are now lining up to attack him. He sees that the burka is a recent cultural accretion, which has been championed by extremists in many countries around the world and is actively opposed by moderate Muslims. That some women in the West freely choose to wear it doesn’t make it any more palatable. It remains a symbol of gender inequality (if it wasn’t, why don’t men wear it too?) and it is intended quite literally to limit the interaction between Muslim women and other people.
Johnson is the one treating Muslims as equals, expecting them to be part of the debate rather than left in a ghetto. He has bothered to learn about their customs, read their literature and understand the internal debates within their religion. He knows how badly many Muslim women are treated around the world and made girls’ education a priority whilst he was at the FCO. He made the issue of FGM in the UK a priority whilst he was Mayor of London. He met Muslim ‘community leaders’ yet also questioned them if he suspected they did not represent the full diversity of opinion amongst Muslims.
Recent polls show that a majority of British people want to follow the example of France and Denmark and ban the burka outright. Johnson disagrees and seeks to hold the line for liberal values. Those who have piled on him with wild accusations of Islamophobia and pandering to the hard right are either confused or disingenuous. By spinning his critique of Islamist fundamentalist practice as an ‘attack on Muslim women’ they throw moderate Muslims under the bus and empower the unrepresentative grievance mongers and extremists who masquerade as Muslim community spokesmen. Worst of all, by enforcing a rigid code of political correctness utterly at odds with public sentiment they destroy the middle ground of politics and open the door to the real extremists.

There's certainly a big gravitational pull amongst the party faithful (particularly the grandees) to keep the party together. No doubt they want the blood spilt internally and behind closed doors if possible.

Any centrifugal force splitting the party will have to overcome the twin humps you mention: the spectre of UKIP on the right and the SDP on the left. I'm sure even BoJo won't want to split the party. But I do suspect that he wants to use the shift to the right to his own advantage.

The question is: if/when the shift happens, does party loyalty trump* the desires of those who would prefer to stay in the centre? Can the party avoid a split, especially when there appears the chance of a similar split in Labour? That could leave a new centrist grouping in a dominant position, if you have Momentum on the left and UKIP+BoJo et al on the right...

* The English language is going to need to find a new word for this bridge/whist metaphor...
Party faithful and grandees aren't necessarily one of the same. CCHQ and the London based clique of the Tory Party are at odds with many of the Associations out in the Constituencies. There has been tension for years with the likes of Grant Shapps and the attempts to centralise all on London including the £25 sub from all Tory Party members for use on CCHQ's pet projects!
Sadly many of today's Tory Politicians with some notable exceptions are bland charismatically bereft individuals - how many accountants and barristers do we need! And they in the main tow the party line and reflect what London screams for - leaving the likes of Doris in Dorset furious.
There is a disconnect with many Associations who want someone with personality, balls and couldn't give a fig about the need to be Politically Correct - we are sadly becoming a nation of apologetics and that's where people are saying enough is enough which is why Bo Jo is so appealing.
TM is in danger of being spit roasted by the Membership and her advisers, remember those who said go to the country and screwed up majorly all including the Remain group are whispering snake oil in her ear. Boris is too big a beast to kneecap - as the DT so colourfully said today, if he falls there will be more than blood on the walls of CCHQ I am sure their accounts will go that colour as membership plummets!

I find it highly instructive that despite reams of articles in the Guardian on this, some of which are bordering on hysteria, not a single one has been opened for comments. Even though the average CIF contributers rarely misses an opportunity to slate Boris, when it comes to the ROP and the repressive nature of the burqa, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and an Arrse poster!
Letterbox-gate: who said it first – Boris or the Guardian? | Coffee House
And here is the Guardian column making fun of burqas:
Nine uses for a burqa … that don't involve bashing them | Remona Aly

1533907552986.png

Which proves yet again that it's not what is said but who says it as to whether it is offensive or not. Perhaps this in itself could be regarded as a form of social exclusion and segregation? What then is the Guardian guarding against but freedom and equality which it surely despises?

Last edited:

Labour split, Conservative split, and jump to a Social Democrat lifeboat? but who will be first to jump or be pushed first?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Labour split, Conservative split, and jump to a Social Democrat lifeboat? but who will be first to jump or be pushed first?
Yes, one can just picture the thought processes that MPs are going through: Tory, Mrs May is my leader and hopeless so she will lose us the election: Labour Mr Corbyn is my leader and hopeless so he will lose us the election! Both sets of MPs then: l am disgruntled with my Party and Leader do let's move over to the Lib Dems - led my Vince Cable:rolleyes:. Somehow I can't see that happening soon.

We have extremely poor political leadership just at the time we need good leadership more than ever.

Yes, one can just picture the thought processes that MPs are going through: Tory, Mrs May is my leader and hopeless so she will lose us the election: Labour Mr Corbyn is my leader and hopeless so he will lose us the election! Both sets of MPs then: l am disgruntled with my Party and Leader do let's move over to the Lib Dems - led my Vince Cable:rolleyes:. Somehow I can't see that happening soon.

We have extremely poor political leadership just at the time we need good leadership more than ever.
Totally agree spot on AY, we need a root and branch cull of a lot of dead wood.
Did I hear a coup wouldn't go amiss, - you could say that but I certainly wouldn't comment!

TM is sleep walking towards an Ides of March moment and after that heavens knows what happens. Jeremy is becoming more radical and extreme as the days go on. The Lib Dems could offer an alternative that is if Sir Vince is binned and they map out a realistic route to recovery, they have been making some headway in the local elections
But we are stuffed as to where this 'Wunderkinder' is going to come from.

I'm not convinced that a catalogue of failures and botched opportunities carried out over a background of shambling hopelessly from one crisis to the next actually qualifies as "leadership" in any form.

There - that should cover all the main political parties with one statement.

I'm not convinced that a catalogue of failures and botched opportunities carried out over a background of shambling hopelessly from one crisis to the next actually qualifies as "leadership" in any form.

There - that should cover all the main political parties with one statement.
Would give you a funny if it wasn't so depressingly accurate.

It was always so, once Polly Toynbee was frothing over how oppressive the Burka is, in her own words:

Something horrible flits across the background in scenes from Afghanistan, scuttling out of sight. There it is, a brief blue or black flash, a grotesque Scream 1, 2 and 3 personified - a woman.

The top-to-toe burka, with its sinister, airless little grille, is more than an instrument of persecution, it is a public tarring and feathering of female sexuality.

It transforms any woman into an object of defilement too untouchably disgusting to be seen. It is a garment of lurid sexual suggestiveness: what rampant desire and desirability lurks and leers beneath its dark mysteries?

In its objectifying of women, it turns them into cowering creatures demanding and expecting violence and victimisation.