MRE Bombs

It saddens me that this pursuit, often but not exclusivly associated with the Int Corps, seems to be going out of fashion, despite an increase in the number of US/UK operations and hence the ready supply of MREs.

Allow me to explain:

The Meals Ready to Eat (or other comedy interpreptations of these letters, usually involving malnurished Africans) contain a heating element. With judicious use of a knife, this heating element can be removed and crumbled in the hands to form a powder (tee hee).

The ideal projectile is an empty and dry 2 ltr Coke bottle. Using said knife, make a small round incision in the base of the coke bottle.

Pour the MRE heater powder into the coke bottle.

Aim projectile (potential targets include General's tent, HQ, RMP House) using a tripod or other improvised launch rail.

Pour a small quantity of water (not too much) into the Coke bottle. The mixture will start to effer, efferevs, er......fizz like mad.

Put lid on bottle.

Watch in giggling anticipation as the bottle shakes as pressure increases.

Whoop and cheer successful launch.

Run and hide.

Is this procedure familiar to others? Used with great success in Tuzla (Bosnia) in the mid 90's by..er...someone.

Could this be included on Corps Day as an event, with the aiming point being the old codgers in their lunch tent?

or you could kepp the bottle complete
leave the bottle half full of coke
then add crumbled heater to coke
put on lid shake and throw
watch out for scalding sticky cola

:x

roseandpose

Its still a popular sport on Ops, especially with the large amount of plastic water bottles available. The 1 Litre ones work best though-take the MRE heater out of the bag fold and insert into bottle pierce the bottle side/neck and add a little water and screw on the lid. Throw/leave in vicinity of people you want to upset and stand back and observe startled confusion after the resulting explosion :D

Childish i know but still very funny (even when you are over 40!) :wink:

roseandpose said:
It saddens me that this pursuit, often but not exclusivly associated with the Int Corps, seems to be going out of fashion, despite an increase in the number of US/UK operations and hence the ready supply of MREs.

Allow me to explain:

The Meals Ready to Eat (or other comedy interpreptations of these letters, usually involving malnurished Africans) contain a heating element. With judicious use of a knife, this heating element can be removed and crumbled in the hands to form a powder (tee hee).

The ideal projectile is an empty and dry 2 ltr Coke bottle. Using said knife, make a small round incision in the base of the coke bottle.

Pour the MRE heater powder into the coke bottle.

Aim projectile (potential targets include General's tent, HQ, RMP House) using a tripod or other improvised launch rail.

Pour a small quantity of water (not too much) into the Coke bottle. The mixture will start to effer, efferevs, er......fizz like mad.

Put lid on bottle.

Watch in giggling anticipation as the bottle shakes as pressure increases.

Whoop and cheer successful launch.

Run and hide.

Is this procedure familiar to others? Used with great success in Tuzla (Bosnia) in the mid 90's by..er...someone.

Could this be included on Corps Day as an event, with the aiming point being the old codgers in their lunch tent?
Ahem, there is already a small round incision in the bottle, just take the cap off :roll: Obviously you put it back on after adding water...

Otherwise, won't the gas escape and completely negate the effect you were trying to achieve? i.e, a loud bang and your mates/RMP/LECs covered in hot water and a horrid ash-coloured paste.

There is an exhaustive description of how to make them, together with the mark II, which involves piss, in Operation Certain Death by Damien Lewis.

Perevodchik:

You have two choices.

My favourite is the MRE missile, in which case, yes, you need to make a small incision in the base to let a jet of gas escape and hence provide propulsion.

The other, suggested in another post, is the MRE IED, in which case the bottle is completely sealed, thrown, and after a period of time the container can no longer stand the pressure and therefore explodes.

Either is good. Both are funny. A tandem attack is spectacular. Why don't Al Jazzera film that?

If you just want a BIG bang and not a projectile, empty 2 x MRE heaters into a small 250ml bottle (Panda cola etc from a horror bag). Water in top on, a quick shake and throw.
Kaboom!!

Good one roseandpose, that way you could set some on rails, a la Mujahideen rockets and lob a few as well for that tandem attack look.

FNUSNU, you're the boy who stuck matches and tin foil behing your SLR sear aren't you? :)

Another infinately more evil variation is aimed at those lazy b**tar*s who can't be arrsed to leave their pit at night and instead p*ss into a bottle or similar container.........................................

Oh what fun I have had with this particular pastime on Ops/Ex, amongst many I might add.

The gas produced by the heating element (due to the chemical reaction) is, so I am told, hydrogen. If I am wrong blame an American, his name is Chuck and he lives in trailer.

My favoured method for this device is in the 'delay' setting rather than the 'super quick'. Keep the element in the issued bag and crumble, seal the top of the said issued bag with black nasty, puncture (with a pin/needle from the housewife you carry, mine is called Agnitha 5'10", blonde and Swedish) the bag your crude hydrogen (alleged) bomb is in, (More holes shorter delay).
Place the IED in a bottle, due to the issued bag it is a squeeze to put into a bottle, be persistent it does fit. Now its time to be devious/vindictive/downrightdisgusting.
Initiation: Water should be poured into the bottle, or if you prefer some other fluid!!! Seal the bottle with the top which is part of the CES for a bottle.
Due to the puncture of the bag, the initiation fluid will take a while to seep into the bag, allowing you to place the device in oh someones desk behind those files, or dropped into a thunder box (my fave).

The longest delay I have achieved is just over 4 hours.

My only complaint is that it was never shown during the school holidays on 'Why Don't You'

the first 2 US troops to be medivaced from Iraq where injured by one of these (legend has it they used a metal waterbottle) so please play safely (we used to see how far we could get them to fly :))

Maybe R&P could write to the Hamster on Braniac - Science Abuse and get them to an 'MRE Christmas Special'. For what it's worth I have seen some spectacular incediary devices made with the solidified cans of sugar from 10 man compo boxes and a splash of napfer or kero.

Latest Threads