MrBane tries to build a garden office / summerhouse...

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
After the applause and general slapping on the back from your good selves after my tiling work, and having since painted the living room to great (based on opinion) success, I've decided to save a significant amount of cash and build a 6*3 summer house thing in the garden.

I've got a concrete based poured and level and again, I've watched some YouTube's.

This will be a proper slow burner, so don't expect the rapid Saturday night entertainment of the tiling.

So my first question to you experts is, wtf do I do? I have drawn up some plans.

16507374476076775883496517573280.jpg

The main issue is that it will sit flush to the back of the garage, and to save some materials, my thoughts are to make the back wall of the garage the back wall of the cabin, and just stick on a layer of framing and insulate. I'm not sure about the render though, which I mentioned before.

Would I take that back wall back to brick and get the render off it, or just leave as is and hide behind insulation / framing etc?

I want to have a fairly solid build and was looking with interest at some 75mm cabins.

I figure given the cost these things come in at, I could comfortably buy any tools I need and still save a wedge on it if it's DIY.

Thoughts / comments as always.... In your own time, go on.

IMG_20220423_191156__01.jpg

First off, get a new toolbelt. Your ballpain (sic) hammer seems to have slipped round to the front on that illustration ;)

Serious - is it for use just in summer , or all-year if possible?
(Some mates spent a fair amount on insulation, draughtproofing, double floor, electrics, but can use it all year round.

edit: the main builder is a fairly weedy accountant, so it can be done.

Oh, and another mate built one from scratch, but it's very much more a shed than office - almost twice the size, about same cost

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
First off, get a new toolbelt. Your ballpain (sic) hammer seems to have slipped round to the front on that illustration ;)

Serious - is it for use just in summer , or all-year if possible?
(Some mates spent a fair amount on insulation, draughtproofing, double floor, electrics, but can use it all year round.

All year round - so I'll be going insulated, wind proofed etc. I may well scale the front opening back just to sliding patio where you can see the half circle depression, that was patio which I'll be dropping back in, so will probably just have the doors in line with that.

Right, I have read none of the posts as yet as I have not had sufficient ale etc, however just scrolling down I see the plans are properly done in full isometric projection ;)

After the applause and general slapping on the back from your good selves after my tiling work, and having since painted the living room to great (based on opinion) success, I've decided to save a significant amount of cash and build a 6*3 summer house thing in the garden.

I've got a concrete based poured and level and again, I've watched some YouTube's.

This will be a proper slow burner, so don't expect the rapid Saturday night entertainment of the tiling.

So my first question to you experts is, wtf do I do? I have drawn up some plans.

View attachment 657540

Thick black felt pen. Vague scribbles. I've seen this sort of thing before.

Admit it, you're a real, qualified, registered Architect and you're winding us up.

anglo

LE

View attachment 657540

The main issue is that it will sit flush to the back of the garage, and to save some materials, my thoughts are to make the back wall of the garage the back wall of the cabin, and just stick on a layer of framing and insulate. I'm not sure about the render though, which I mentioned before.

Would I take that back wall back to brick and get the render off it, or just leave as is and hide behind insulation / framing etc?

I want to have a fairly solid build and was looking with interest at some 75mm cabins.

I figure given the cost these things come in at, I could comfortably buy any tools I need and still save a wedge on it if it's DIY.

View attachment 657542
You could start by getting some plans off the internet, but I guess that would be too easy,
and considered to be cheating ;)

Shedmate has a wriggly-tin roof, easy, cheap(ish), noisy & cold.
Weedymate has a 'proper' roof, bought from a 'garden room' manufacturer, I think. Much nicer, but more expensive.
(Having helped with roofing, a price worth paying to avoid the falling from height, crush injuries, measuring odd angles, up & down
ladders after dropping stuff etc)

Dread

LE
1. Do you have planning permission or written confirmation from an insured lawyer that you don't need planning permission?
2. If you're going to build it out of timber then well done: it will get blown away in the first squall as you haven't set any anchors into the concrete to bolt the timber frame to (a lot easier to do this than drill into set concrete).
3. No problem with you using the garage wall as it is... except you'll need a solution to stop rainwater coming in where the two meet, and that ain't as easy at it sounds (moisture can move up as well as down!)
4. Sit down and do a full construction plan, down to where you want the plugs, etc. (this will probably be necessary anyway due to Point 1 above).

Have a look on the web for 'garden pods' and garden offices to get some ideas, and see if you can find any that match your technical skills in terms of simplicity (have you thought about working out of an old MFO box?).

If timber, get a blóódy good anti-mould/rot treatment (that is also UV resistant) and paint every single piece of timber before screwing into place: don't trust the cráp they use at the builders' merchants or timber yard. Ensure you apply to all cut ends of timber, otherwise your 'hut' will be rotten in under 5 years.

Only use standard sizes for everything if possible: reduces the amount of cutting you'll have to do, as well as making any repairs and replacements much easier later on.

Don't forget ventilation: you need to give spiders somewhere to live happily.

Aircon/heating: do you have adequate power supply to the building to run this equipment, as well as lights, fridge, rotating bed, etc?

View attachment 657540

View attachment 657542
Who`s in the body bag?

Latest Threads