Mr Bullet Magnet - the hero

There are no photos, its engraved in full colour, in my head, no sound as my eardrums were numbed.
My closest mate and TOP NCO, [name witheld as our and a few other small units weren't there] taking up a position I'd just left, stating it was sweet for me to warm the fuckin'cold damp rocks for him, and half way thru "Fack yoo's Ji....." an Argie mortar landing on him. ON him. blasted me backwards and landing on the boggy wet sponge ground and having to take his bone frags out of my face, legs etc.
End of that story as his family may read this.

A lot on this thread are civvies, and I admire your interest.
But dwelling on the nasty brutality of this, probably last face to face 'Conflict' isn't an X-box game. If someone made one it would be banned outright.
For perspective on 'Down South'..in the 74/78 days so many Brit forces of all ranks were killed that it was 10yrs in Iragq & Afghaniragistan to get to the same sad number of Brit dead.
And I don't think anyone that was there will write about it down to the bone so-to-speak as its way too fresh in mind. I didn't speak about it for 30yrs, now it helps to speak, with others of the boys who were at the pointy end of the stick.

One thread that will never start is if someone dumb asks what its like to write 'The Letter' to families of your oppo's who got the Full Stop. I had to do two to families I'd spent Xmas & New Year with a couple of times.
I'm not too keen on this thread either.....a bit too ghoulish for me, but got it off my chest in anonimity.

Thanks for the confirmation mate, I've only joined this site recently, and don't want to piss off others that were there. And down in the West Country for another funeral have met 5 RM & 1 Mil Intel plus a RN Diver from the Sir Galahad....and for the first time have had dreams about it, and just yomping it (not the bad one the RM had to do because of the logistic porridge splat of putting all Chinooks on one ship)
Just squelching along, occasional banter from voices I remember.
I think I'm now strong in mind enough to say, that all of us have our 'fragile' moments on certain dates and memories.
To end on a funny note, the most useful thing I learned was how to type properly, hence longer messages than most!

ps. so no Rosette on your gong!!!!

FYI......up until the Pol Corr state made this country mush and militarily ineffective (to save money for their expences), all subs flew the Jolly Rodger. Then at some date in the 90's I think some Admiralty/MOD office paper shuffler put out a general order for them not to be flown anymore.
His boyfriend probably didn't like it.

I wasn't looking! But THAT was exactly my aim!
Which luckily was better than the spics!
Seen photos recently of Penguins (inedible) standing in an group on the wrong side of the wire of a uncleared minefield.....new meaning to Bird Brain

In 3 wars (or conflicts as its PC to say now) I have never once heard ANYONE say 'Incoming'.....everyone can hear mortars and artillery, Naval Artillery much more so, Carl Gustav recoiless has arrived before you hear it.
Never believe Hollywood.
The reality they couldn't show.
Or my personal experience of being so flat to the deck that one is trying to dig with ones eyelashes
Thanks for that. I bet you have a war poem in there somewhere.

There are quite a few notebooks full mate, y'know what they say about 99% of bored shitless and 1% of organised chaos?
Well my bored shitles was course after course adfinitum, still a lot of 'urry up and wait! So I wrote notes and poems and sketches about it.
Only my long term bed bunk has seen them, loves them [when I translate!].
Then Down South arrived and apart from sighting in everything and over cleaning and sharpening everything only wrote a little. Shooting at everything afloat was good, there's an area in the North Atlantic that is full of flotsam, great for letting off everything.
Should point out here that I'm a bit of a grey area on this site, Ltnt Cmdr RN Combined Ops, so that covers RN basis, Para Training & RM/SBS Training and enough other stuff to put you to sleep!
Suffice to say that my most useful skill is I type very fast with mostly good spelling.
Sniping, explosives above and below water, NGS, and a talent with grenades and 'interesting' booby traps etc don't have a lot of use back in the world, and despite anual invites to join Blackwater, or their last five letters were under the name 'Xe....' something bollocks, even in my late 50's they want some training officers for fresh out of demob to be properly combat trained.
Fresh back from Raghedistan & Iraghead they need Combat Training!!!
Fuck me I'm not a mercenary and I won't train dumbass septics!!!

Here endeth tonights minor rant......major rants I'll type for two hours.....your eyes will bleed!

Regards Jack [Mr Bullet Magnet]

There are quite a few notebooks full mate, y'know what they say about 99% of bored shitless and 1% of organised chaos?
Well my bored shitles was course after course adfinitum, still a lot of 'urry up and wait! So I wrote notes and poems and sketches about it.
Then Down South arrived and apart from sighting in everything and over cleaning and sharpening everything only wrote a little. Shooting at everything afloat was good, there's an area in the North Atlantic that is full of flotsam, great for letting off everything.
Should point out here that I'm a bit of a grey area on this site, Ltnt Cmdr RN Combined Ops, so that covers RN basis, Para Training & RM/SBS Training and enough other stuff to put you to sleep!
Suffice to say that my most useful skill is I type very fast with mostly good spelling.
Sniping, explosives above and below water, NGS, and a talent with grenades and 'interesting' booby traps etc don't have a lot of use back in the world, and despite anual invites to join Blackwater, or their last five letters were under the name 'Xe....' something bollocks, even in my late 50's they want some training officers for fresh out of demob to be properly combat trained.
**** me I'm not a mercenary and I won't train dumbass septics!!!

Here endeth tonights minor rant......major rants I'll type for two hours.....your eyes will bleed!

Fuck off you belter, I've never been one, nor have I ever been in the Navy, but the shorthand for Lieutenant Commander is Lt Cdr.

So just fuck off before you go any further.

Hi Nehustan. Please fùck off you fetid pudendum.

Where it all went wrong was seeing two of my best oppo's getting killed taking bone frags of Jimmy * out of my face and legs and not talking about it for 30yrs, two mates on the Shiny Sheff, and the only thing that makes it reasonably OK is that they were in the Comcen and went instantly.
Two 7.62 'stings' and a chunk out of my left arm I have no probs with. Two quotes I like are "No-one who comes back from war is unwounded, even if it doesn't show" & "**** anyone who decides to dig me out for starting from the Navy and surviving RM/SBS training that would kill me in a day now"
I have mates to this day from RM42, 2Para & Ghurka Reg.....if I get spelling wrong well who gives a ****, skull fractured 5 times.........all I've written before on here has got nothing but good words......as soon as I mention I'm a retired officer who started in the RN and did harder training you can imagine I start getting abuse.
From my point of view no matter what part of HM Forces we were in we are one and the same, even stewards and scran 'cooks'.
I have never done the RHIP bollox, same as the 350yrs of RN, RM & Army officers behind me in my family.....I was brought up to believe that you're all on the same side and our competence is key and chinless wonders with pips or cuff rings who don't get that your 'boys' lives are just as dependent on your decisions as your life is dependent on them, and same as my gramps [Cmdr Engineering RN] I got shit for going on a jolly with my unit, rather than the 50% limp dicks in the officers mess.
So read other things I've written on different parts of this site.
As soon as I mentioned RN Combined Operations AND being a pig [dunno what the army slang for an officer is] I start getting abuse.
Sort your predjudices out, because regardless of your rank and patches I'd still have your back and as I always went first, not even think that you didn't have mine.
I changed so many bad orders to keep my 'boys' safe and still achieve the objective I got stupid gongs that I don't care about, because MY Co's claimed it as their idea in the first place.
I wasn't that type of officer........so any moderator who wants to kick me off the site, crack away. A lot on here haven't seen real shit.
And I have a simple way of explaining 'Down South'.....it lasted 74/78 days and our KIA toll was so bad it took 10yrs in Iraghead and Afghanirag to reach the same sad number.
If my spelling is off sometimes its because I married a USN Admirals daughter, and she always writes Ltnt Cmdr, and its stuck. Don't like it....too 'uckin' bad.
Tell her, she'll make your ears bleed.
Gooks in the wire... Whatcha ya'll know about death?

Naval Hero.jpg
Here you are.and I claim my £5...

For more about 148 Battery, try reading Falklands Commando by Hugh McManners.

View attachment 178419
No probs mate, I've got a lot of shit on this site today for mentioning I was Lt Cmdr RN Combined Ops, so started that in Poole with the NGS course, moved sideways to RM Sniper 'School' (either one of which would kill me in 12hrs or less now) then RM/SBS and 'invited' to Comb Ops. Also awake at this time says sleep probs and PTSD.
Learned after 3 decades +2 that if I talk about it, mostly to 'She that Thinks she must be obeyed' a USN Admirals daughter it gets easier, as talking to mates still alive is better than any funking pill. As your memories can't be wiped.
I have a cupboard of US & German uniforms, my mate in Army obscure unit Intel has amongst others, a Met Police uniform from outside the Lib Emb where Yvonne Fletcher got the Full Stop. They carried folding Ak47's and MP5Kurtz under their raincoats.
So sorry if I offended, I didn't read the whole thread, 148 were known and I don't know the Sparker they had but he was good. I was on the Uganda after Pebble Beach/Island but wasn't bad enough to not stay in touch on an unused frequency.

But maybe you can explain, is this site Army only, no officers or unknown units that never are on any 'official' history?
Because the last I expected was a military version of PC.
I don't care if I'm talking to a PBI Corporal or an Admiral, all you get is me. Don't like it Funk off, Admiral included.
Didn't get if you were in 148 or the one that 'ran into them' he's lucky to be alive and well!
Regards, Jack [yeah be cursed with that in the RN!!]

It's not about class prejudice. You're getting stick because you're over-egging the pudding in your description of yourself. It would be like me saying I was a combined operations, land and water jumping, vertical assaulting, small craft raiding, weapon handling, Falklands fighting, unarmed combat trained RM commando. Technically true, but bullshit to say so, Sir.

History Man....your ex's pussy because apparently you needed splints to keep it up. She tastes like a 25yr old Scotch minus an ice cube......you apparently were the ice cube. Funk off.
Care for a swords at dawn duel on Hampstead Heath?

You have conclusively proved that you are a turbo belmer of legendary proportions. The closest that you have been to 'Gooks inside the wire' is reading about it in Combat & Survival Magazine. Do one you alcoholic retard. Oh, and the only thing that you do on Hampstead Heath is cruise for c***...

Death! CCLXVII done by me and NGS/Airstrike called in by me......2 mates killed infront of me and 2 on the Shiny Sheff, the ones I think about every funking day.
Writing 'The Letter' to two families I'd spent Xmas and New Year with in Belfast and Glasgow.
Try that one for an advanced training course in not dropping tears on the ink. Rank does NOT have all but privileges. And I never used it in anyway at all. My Gramps was Cmdr Engineering, which made him defacto Captn on Mine Sweepers on the Arctic Convoys from Rosyth to Murmansk, and same as all was chopping ice off the rig on marine plywood sweepers.
Or try collecting clingfilm off everyone around, RM, SBS, SAS, sterilising it with the crack of 7.62's going around you to hold one of your own 'boys'/ mate, brain in and clean when a pretty good Argie Marine sniper took the back of his skull off but didn't hit the grey cauliflower underneath.
I'm in Cornwall now, where I grew up, for the funeral of another one that took his own exit.
Death! As long as its not one of my own, including you. I don't feel a thing. If it IS one of mine it knocks another chunk off the swinging brick my ex says I have instead of a heart.
I only resigned because I got to enjoy it too much, when the head psych says "You are a psychopathic sociopath with narccicistic tendancies" you look at yourself and what others have said before in a different light.
That a good enough answer for you?
I've been polite as I don't usually put the time into one line snide comments.
If you are part of 148 you earned my time and patience (which is usually the same as a 'Brown Bess' shooting from pulling the trigger).......
You have a good life mate, and find someone to talk it all out to, funk the macho stoic stuff because it eats you like a worm in an apple.
Regards, Jack RNCombOps

Latest Threads