MQ Retention Questions

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by JesterRIP, Apr 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked in this forum before, but nothing appeared on the search radar.

First of all I realise that MQ retention criteria is covered in JSP 464 Sect 8.

I will be posted away from my current area for anything between 6 months up to 2 years. Now bearing in mind the likelihood is that I will be posted back here after this time, it seems to me to be an awful waste of taxpayers money in Disturbance Allowance, removals etc twice over - when realistically there's no need to.

On top of that, the wife is born and bred in this area, with a career longer than my own and will very reluctantly come with me so if that can be avoided too it will be a bonus.

I have already spoken to Housing who haven't exactly said 'No', but have told me there's nothing in the JSP wrt eligibility. My question to you fellow experienced Arrsers is this:

Is there anyone out there that can shed any light on cases outside of the norm whereby you have been allowed to retain your MQ by virtue of common sense, or any other reason for that matter?

Cheers in advance. And no bone posts 'for the sake of posting' please...!

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sounds like you are well settled in that area and that your career will draw you back there from time to time, so perhaps your solution might be to buy your own place. There may also be possibilities to rent out while you are off elsewhere playing soldiers and your family decide to join you.

Just a thought.

3. Ah yes - sorry A-Y I forgot to add - I already have my own place which is rented out. The problem is that it's 20 miles in the wrong direction for her to realistically live in and travel to and from work (she works strange shifts...!)

But we have talked about renting a place together closer to the time in her home town. And what we don't pay on MQ charges we can throw towards rent and C/Tax. That's 'Option Last Resort'.

4. Jester,

Successful retention will probaly hinge on whether or not there is a current, or forecasted, shortage of SFA in your area. If there is, retention is unlikely.

If not, then retention, even though it falls outside the normal JSP guidelines, should be authorised without too much difficulty. Key in this decision is whether or not there is a shortage of SFA in the area you are to be posted to - this would further strengthen your case.

Good Luck

5. PAW - thanks for that.

Where I'm currently at there are a lot of empty MQs. Where I am going to they sold a lot of them off towards the late 90s and early noughties. So far, so good.

I will bear that in mind as part of my argument come the time.

On a lighter note, I seem to be an expert in shooting myself in the foot. This move comes as a result of a beautifully crafted letter by yours truly to my APC, following the news of being originally posted elsewhere...