MPs Who've Served

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by biffins-bridge, May 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been done but couldn't find it with a quick search.

Following on from the various threads about actors who have served can anyone think of any MPs who have served and whether service in their formative years influenced Government policy.

I will start with Airey Neave. Wartime officer, captured at Calais during the BEF retreat in 1940. Was IIRC the first (or one of the first) British officers to escape from Colditz. On his return to the UK he was posted to MI9 where he used his escape experience in organising the 'rat line' escape routes throughout occupied Europe. He deployed back to France after D Day and was instrumental in organising the escape of trapped airborne troops following Op Market Garden as well as downed airmen.

After the war he retained very close links to the Intelligence Services and Special Forces, in particularly the TA SAS regiment who were tasked with operating 'stay behind' forces in the event of a Soviet invasion of Germany, one of whos task would be the return of downed pilots.

He became MP for Abingdon and was a close friend and advisor to Mrs Thatcher and was instrumental in her rise to the leadership of the Conservative Party and may have also been key in shaping some of her robust thinking around terrorism.

He was murdered by the INLA in 1979.
  2. I'll take your Airey Neave and raise it by a Tam Dalyell, who hopefully reminded Thatcher that some of her robust thinking didn't need to be so bellicose.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I'll take both and raise you a Winston Churchill.
  4. Yes, but that's like playing a trump card too early...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.
  6. FFS it's Saturday get a life,
  7. Yeah, but she knew what colour the boathouse was.
  8. George Younger and Harold MacMillian for starters then theres Anthony Eden.

Not forgetting Wullie Whitelaw
  9. Most MP's of the latter half of the last century had serivce due to WW1,WW2 and National service. A better question is how many since say 1990 have served
  10. At the other end of the scale then, Eric Joyce.
  11. Paddy Ashdown

Booties for 13 years including SBS

Went on to be a James Bond type jobbie for MI6
  12. And rentagob Bob.
  13. A list of currently serving MP's who have served was something I've looked for in the past.

David Davis
    Paddy Ashdown

-off the top of my head.
  14. It doesnt say in the thread theres a restriction to British politicians so surely Adolf Hitler is the top trump of top trumps! Pure evil!!!!!!!

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Better than not getting to play it at all. Oliver Cromwell.