MPs urge more support for TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by TopBadger, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Most odd.

Para 20:

A statement is made: "In order to improve recruitment by making better use of resources, the Regular Navy, Army and Royal Air Force have taken over responsibility for recruiting Volunteer Reserves."

But there is no commentary on that statement at all. No discussion of its implications, of whether it is working, of how the change has been implemented. Instead, it goes off on a tangent.

That's a strange omission, given that the All-Party Parliamentary Reserve Forces Group had this to say only last month:

2. msr

msr LE

No, just joined up government at its best ;)

But most probably because they do not understand the implications of the statement.

msr

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Not at all odd, when you consider:

- The PAC Report was in response to an NAO Report, which was published in March 2006.

- The PAC Report took evidence in June 2006.

- almost all the input to both reports concerned TELIC 1 - 3.

Now even the most jaundiced onlooker would admit that things have changed since then. But the report, published today, is simply out-of-date. It does however give some MPs the chance to bup their gums over things having gone wrong three years ago as if it were yesterday.

4. "The Department is looking more towards the Regular Reserves, ex-Regular personnel, many of whom might be interested in becoming Volunteer Reserves."

Well, since the regular reserve has proved so willing to turn up when called up, as per their contracted obligation, I can really see them turning up to join the TA. I think I've seen maybe a dozen ex-regulars join my TA Company in 14 years. Somehow I doubt there's that few ex-regulars in the South Yorkshire area.

5. Our PSAO has been actively targeting those leaving the regulars (in S Yorks), he had some good results about 4-6 over a couple of years. They were mainly ex-infantry but all have since rejoined the regulars.

6. I'll believe it when I see it. Anything that isn't backed up by £££ isn't worth the paper it's written on. The capability and direction of the TA are is the hands of the Treasury - see Telegraph article
    'A freeze on recruiting' for those units not directly supporting operations in Iraq and Afghanistan (well, I suppose there aren't many of them these days) - for example. I don't understand why 'they' just don't 'get it'. SDR - close regional TA centres and so reduce footprint and numbers of potential recruits reduce too: they didn't get that either. Freeze recruitment for two years and you may as well just close the unit because it'll create a manpower time-bomb. I've no doubt COs will indulge in jiggery-pokery to recruit in these places and hold people on the books of other locations somehow, but it's all so unnecessary. It's all so obvious - any TA soldier from Sgt upwards would be able to state the obvious effects.
    It's this sort of rubbish that pished me off with the TA and eventually made me listen to Mrs Stabtastic and spend more time looking after the family rather than making do and mend, hiding people on the books and doing utterly cr@p paperwork.

7. OldSnowy 1, Dr Evil 0