MPs to get 10% pay rise

Except this payrise is in response to a reduction in what expenses they can claim. So rather than a pay rise its more a case of balancing the books.

Still a media headline of MPs pay and conditions are adjusted in a revenue neutral manner into a more clear and accountable format wouldn't have got the outrage bus moving.

Mr_Pink

War Hero
Yup.

And thats assuming they have no outside directorships, private incomes, backhanders, freebies or quango appointments.
Er, nope. Unless by 'picking it up' you mean 'spending the vast majority on employing staff and running a couple of offices'...

ottar

LE
74K is the basic MP pay.

Many claim mortgage relief of around 15K a year (using my link above as one factual example)

Then add on the free money for employing a family member as a secretary/researcher/whatever (they have tightened the rules, but you can basically employ your mates wife, and he employs yours).

Then claim for food, booze, stationery, removals van, sofas, a free telly, whatever else pops into your head.

£74K starts to sound pretty reasonable for a part-time job.

The average UK wage is c£27k. And zero expenses.
Which MPs work part-time?

An MP isn't doing an average job and £27k isn't the average for London. There is a clue in the word 'expenses' as to what they are. Most people don't get them - and that is an assumption that I don't believe - because they're given what they need to do their job rather than having to provide everything. Anyone not in receipt of expenses can claim tax relief on work expenses.

£74k for long hours, regular commuting to and living in London, regular separation from family, press intrusion, often tedious work, little social life...?
You can jog on. MPs either really believe in what they're doing or show a distinct lack of ambition.

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
Interestingly, just took a look at the IPSA website and looked at a random selection of about 10 MPs. ALL were running 'Staff' costs at around the maximum allowed for 2013-2014.

Turns out 170 MPs are employing family members - on Salary's of up to £50k a year as 'researchers' etc.

All within the rules.

Funny that.

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
Er, nope. Unless by 'picking it up' you mean 'spending the vast majority on employing staff and running a couple of offices'...
See post above - 170 of 650 MPs are known to be employing family members.

Of the remainder, how many do you think are "swapping" employment so they dont have to declare it ?

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
£74k for long hours, regular commuting to and living in London, regular separation from family, press intrusion, often tedious work, little social life...?
Less the press intrusion part - I can think of quite a few people on here that did most of that for significantly less.

And replace commuting to london with deploying to Dangerous sandy places.

Yup.

And thats assuming they have no outside directorships, private incomes, backhanders, freebies or quango appointments.
Not that I'm calling you a liar but I'd be interested to see the link to your source of information as I'm surprised that there is not a complete media stink to the tune of "MP's still claiming twice as much as their annual salary in expenses."

NSP

LE
Be nice to see him put his money where his mouth is and stick a good portion of his rise into a charity.
Or even put it back into the tax-payer's pot to go towards services and the like.

I expect there's a good number of nurses, midwives, police officers, firefighters, ambulance crews and dustmen* spitting tacks at the moment.

* Not an exhaustive list. Other essential and valuable public service workers who've probably seen a real-terms pay cut due to rises in cost of living coupled with their pay freeze are available.

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not that I'm calling you a liar but I'd be interested to see the link to your source of information as I'm surprised that there is not a complete media stink to the tune of "MP's still claiming twice as much as their annual salary in expenses."
IPSA website for one, it's freely available information.

Edit: Just to be clear though - there are many ways to get around the rules. Hence all the talk about "the spirit of the rules" by various MPs.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Interestingly, just took a look at the IPSA website and looked at a random selection of about 10 MPs. ALL were running 'Staff' costs at around the maximum allowed for 2013-2014.

Turns out 170 MPs are employing family members - on Salary's of up to £50k a year as 'researchers' etc.

All within the rules.

Funny that.
Which actually means that something like four million quid a year is going directly into their skies. But, as you say, all within the rules.

It's also easy to say when you're already independently wealthy and don't really need paying at all.
It's a bit different for those from 'the real world' for whom it is their sole income. £74k p.a., living in London and constituency, long hours, with the media delving into every aspect of your - and your family's - current and past life, and it effectively ending any other career you may have is hardly the stuff of dreams.
A half decent plumber earns that, for far less.

I've heard that BT engineers are given free use of a van, even if they own one themselves.
It's just shocking.

BT employed engineers do not own vans, they belong to the company, and are not meant to be used for private use, I know of at least two that have been sacked for using the company van for personal use. Contractors on the other hand are a different matter.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Construction workers do that all the time, but they get nowhere near that salary. And they can't claim nearly as much in expenses.

MsG

ottar

LE
BT employed engineers do not own vans, they belong to the company, and are not meant to be used for private use, I know of at least two that have been sacked for using the company van for personal use. Contractors on the other hand are a different matter.
BT prevent their employees from privately owning vans?
I think you may have missed the point, there.

Construction workers do that all the time, but they get nowhere near that salary. And they can't claim nearly as much in expenses.

MsG
In all fairness though Construction workers are not elected officials charged with making serious decisions or acting on behalf of their constituents.

Whether they're sh1t at being an MP or not is a separate issue. But I'm sure you would agree that an MP has a lot more responsibility than your average construction worker.

I'm all for throwing the boot into MP's as much as we like to belittle The Police, The Fire Service and that budget airline that carries bombs and passes itself off as an armed force.

But

We'd all be crying like a good'un if our MP couldn't afford the trip to London for an important debate or was persistently unavailable because they couldn't afford to pay someone to answer their phone/emails.

MP's need paying a decent wedge, I don't think the vast majority of sensible people have an issue with that.

What the vast majority of us have an issue with is a perceived lack of value or money.

I say perceived as I hope, that some of them are in it for the right reasons and actually do "put a shift in."

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'll have a nose. Cheers.

If true it would be a remarkable example of the media sleeping on the job so soon after the original expenses scandal.
Worth a quick look.

Anyway, Im not saying MPs shouldnt earn good money, or that they dont work hard (most of them anyway).

The point is that the Expenses system isn't fit for purpose and should be removed, and replaced with a proper salary and centralised resources.

I think it's well deserved and is justified by the long hours and great effort MPs undertake.

Should have been more.

Latest Threads