MPs to get 10% pay rise

I love how recently it came to light that an MP was claiming £17k a year for accommodation benefits for work. He also owned out right an apartment only 5 minutes walk away from the Houses of Parliament but rented that out for extra income. How's that reasonable. As well as these huge pay rises?! What would we get back? One rule for another I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't you got padlocks to be buying?

MB1992

Clanker
It's also easy to say when you're already independently wealthy and don't really need paying at all.
It's a bit different for those from 'the real world' for whom it is their sole income. £74k p.a., living in London and constituency, long hours, with the media delving into every aspect of your - and your family's - current and past life, and it effectively ending any other career you may have is hardly the stuff of dreams.
A half decent plumber earns that, for far less.

I've heard that BT engineers are given free use of a van, even if they own one themselves.
It's just shocking.

Big difference if a BT engineer owns a van privately he's still paying for it himself not making a second income. He's living a life without paying for it.

It's also easy to say when you're already independently wealthy and don't really need paying at all.
It's a bit different for those from 'the real world' for whom it is their sole income. £74k p.a., living in London and constituency, long hours, with the media delving into every aspect of your - and your family's - current and past life, and it effectively ending any other career you may have is hardly the stuff of dreams.
A half decent plumber earns that, for far less.

I've heard that BT engineers are given free use of a van, even if they own one themselves.
It's just shocking.
What plumbers have you been employing?

Big difference if a BT engineer owns a van privately he's still paying for it himself not making a second income. He's living a life without paying for it.

What bollox is this you're on about now?

If you're entitled to a subsidised rent, then you take it because it's yours by right. Doesn't matter if you also own property nearby, you buffoon.

If you have the sense to buy a house while you're in, do you suppose the Colonel will make you live in it? No chance, you'll rent it out and live in the block or a pad like everyone else who's got any sense.

MB1992

Clanker
The way I look at it is they earn so much money they get some much back where's the cap? And surely there must be something in place to say if you live x amount of miles away you're entitled to it not if your work place is only 5 mins walk away. I don't see that being a good thing for the economy.

2/51

LE
Interesting that the SNP have not complained about this rise now that they have so many MP's.

Is it because the string puller, because of his "dual mandate" is set to really coin it in? Can't be bad getting two full pensions off the tax payer can it?

HSF

LE
We still seem to be getting monkeys (generally speaking) despite the Price tag which can be doubled with expences I understand.

I wonder who funds IPSA
The tax payer I assume - from their website

IPSA was created in 2009 by the Parliamentary Standards Act. New rules governing MPs’ expenses were introduced on 7 May 2010, immediately following the election by the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act. IPSA has two main roles: we regulate the expenses system and we administer and pay MPs’ expenses and their salaries.

From The Daily Mail in 2013.
The civil servants who run the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority are even better paid than MPs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rged-reviewing-MPs-pay-earn-backbenchers.html

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Frankly, for a job which involves a decent amount of legwork to actually get, weekly travel from home, a minimum of five years out of your normal career, significant hours when in London, and intrusion and public opprobrium at every turn, £67K is not a great deal. It is not remotely comparable to civilian packages for similar gigs. Public service is all very well, but it's the kind of thing you take a 20% pay cut to do. Not a 60% pay cut.

We can bleat about 1% rises for MPs all we like, but paying people less than the going rate has a direct impact on who we get, and what they do while they’re in office. So if we want to continue attracting a disproportionate number of the independently wealthy who can afford the hit, or the council equality and diversity officer for whom an MP’s salary is a considerable step up, and we want them to continue going after as many directorships, Have I Got News For You slots, and consulting engagements as they can, then let’s crack on with the current system. If we want the successful entrepreneur, financier, business owner or barrister, who’s going to focus 100% on their constituents’ business because they’re paid the market rate, then we’ll have to pay the market rate.

I reckon a ‘Reservist Allowance’ system is the way ahead. Everyone gets the basic salary of £75K odd, but if Morgan Stanley paid you £1M a year, that’s what you get in Parliament. That’s what the market decided you were worth, so that’s what we should pay if UK plc wants to engage your services.
What a charmingly naive view of politics. Paying people the “going rate”, as you put it, has no influence at all on who becomes an MP and how good (or bad) they are. Cameraman and The Boy George didn’t get to where they are now because they’re some sort of political whizzes, but rather because they went to the right schools/universities and knew the right folks. In short, they had the connections.

MPs see the representation of their constituents as an abstraction at best. That’s not their job at all. It’s a fop to justify their true task: which is to make sure that legislation gets passed that ensures that the Capitalists can continue to suck the life-blood out of the economy for their own selfish ends. Just look at how many MPs are actually sitting in parliament on any normal day of the week. Excluding Thursdays and Fridays, of course, because there aren’t any of them present.

You reckon that they’re worth more, but who actually calculates that? Many folks in normal jobs are genuinely worth far more than they get (nurses, firefighters, ambulance personnel, etc), but for some illogical reason, they’re subject to a different yardstick than managers and MPs. Why is that? And why do MPs get subsidised meals, drinks and many other perks, benefits and privileges that are entirely unique to their job? Why are they such a “special case” with outrageous claims for expenses that normal folks can only dream about? What MPs should be getting is the average wage with justifiable expenses. Then we really would get effective MPs who're there because they're dedicated to the cause of actually improving the lives of folks in the country.

We should rid ourselves of the quaint notion that MPs are there to “serve the public (good)”. They’re not and never have been. They’re in it for what they can get and serving the public good is the very last thing on their minds. What they want is to network and make connections so that they can step into a few highly paid directorships after their spell in parliament. It’s just another racket, really.

MsG

ottar

LE
The MP has paid/is paying for the house he's renting out. He can do with it what he wishes. Just as a BT engineer could lease out a van he owns and make a second income from it.
Yep. I too would like to see a plumber who earns 74k a year.
£74k gross is about £25 per hour net. No, they won't take it as salary, that is the point of Ltd companies and accountants, but, with call out, hourly rate and parts, what plumber wouldn't clear £25 per hour, particularly in London?

It's a long way from a millionaire lifestyle.

The way I've always described it is that the only difference between us and a third world nation is that our system allows our politicians to be openly corrupt.

MB1992

Clanker
My only point being is if we was able to claim such expenses there would be huge caps on what we could claim for such as distance from a permanent residence or amount etc.

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
What bollox is this you're on about now?

If you're entitled to a subsidised rent, then you take it because it's yours by right. Doesn't matter if you also own property nearby, you buffoon.

If you have the sense to buy a house while you're in, do you suppose the Colonel will make you live in it? No chance, you'll rent it out and live in the block or a pad like everyone else who's got any sense.
They are very different situations.

You own a house and rent it out. You then pay to live in the block. You also pay for the food you eat and your booze.

MP has a house and rents it out. He then rents a place to live in pretty much the same area. He then gets the taxpayer to pay his rent. And he claims mortage relief from the taxpayer on his house, which he rents out - possibly to another MP.

So he gets free accomodation and meals. And tenants pay his mortage (if he has one). He then claims a bunch of other expenses from the taxpayer.

Rather than doing the morally correct thing which is to live in the house he owns, next door to his place of work, and not claim anything you dont actually need.

The only reason it isnt the legally correct thing to do is because MPs/MPs friends make the rules.

And to demonstrate the point:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...r-flipped-homes-three-times-MPs-expenses.html
One of many, many, many examples of profiteering from the system.

Pay MPs more. Remove the expenses system entirely.

I wouldn't expose myself and my family to the kind of media scrutiny and abuse that they are open to whilst having to spend a good chunk of my time either in London or travelling to and from it for £74k per year.

Don't get me wrong. I won't cry them a river, but it's not exactly a gravy train.

They're probably not earning much more than manager of a decent sized branch of ASDA.

Oxygen_Thief

On ROPS
On ROPs
I wouldn't expose myself and my family to the kind of media scrutiny and abuse that they are open to whilst having to spend a good chunk of my time either in London or travelling to and from it for £74k per year.

Don't get me wrong. I won't cry them a river, but it's not exactly a gravy train.

They're probably not earning much more than manager of a decent sized branch of ASDA.
74K is the basic MP pay.

Many claim mortgage relief of around 15K a year (using my link above as one factual example)

Then add on the free money for employing a family member as a secretary/researcher/whatever (they have tightened the rules, but you can basically employ your mates wife, and he employs yours).

Then claim for food, booze, stationery, removals van, sofas, a free telly, whatever else pops into your head.

£74K starts to sound pretty reasonable for a part-time job.

The average UK wage is c£27k. And zero expenses.

74K is the basic MP pay.

Many claim mortgage relief of around 15K a year (using my link above as one factual example)

Then add on the free money for employing a family member as a secretary/researcher/whatever (they have tightened the rules, but you can basically employ your mates wife, and he employs yours).

Then claim for food, booze, stationery, removals van, sofas, a free telly, whatever else pops into your head.

£74K starts to sound pretty reasonable for a part-time job.

The average UK wage is c£27k. And zero expenses.
Fair point(s) and in particular for what can be claimed for but if they knocked on my door and asked me to do the job tomorrow I'd tell them to jog on.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

... and the rest! The average expenses add-ons for MPs is around £150,000 p.a.

MsG

Latest Threads