MPs to get 10% pay rise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32981549

As per the recommendation of the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority.

Backdated to 8 May, and designed to compensate for all the things like evening meals that they can't claim for anymore.

Ipsa said that due to cuts in pensions and expenses - such as a ban on claiming for evening meals - the overall package of changes would not cost taxpayers "a penny more".

So the pay rise is to offset the loss of expenses, could save money longer term if nobody can add duck houses.

DC has opposed it, which of course is easy to do if you can say It isn't my decision. I didn't want to take it.

Be nice to see him put his money where his mouth is and stick a good portion of his rise into a charity.

It will be interesting to see what the governments stance on public sector pay is after this?

Wets.

Ipsa said that due to cuts in pensions and expenses - such as a ban on claiming for evening meals - the overall package of changes would not cost taxpayers "a penny more".

So the pay rise is to offset the loss of expenses, could save money longer term if nobody can add duck houses.

DC has opposed it, which of course is easy to do if you can say It isn't my decision. I didn't want to take it.

Be nice to see him put his money where his mouth is and stick a good portion of his rise into a charity.
It would be a large donation then. He has a big gob on him.

It will be interesting to see what the governments stance on public sector pay is after this?

Wets.
The RMT have sorted themselves a 2% + a bit rise. Everyone else seems to be on the wrong end of a 1% rise or a P45.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Wets.
I think we got 1% after a years row, ignored pay review body, strike action was threatened. The govt said we should get nothing.

I think we got 1% after a years row, ignored pay review body, strike action was threatened. The govt said we should get nothing.
While not wishing to defend any sitting government, ISTR they said no on account of NHS Employers bleating that they couldn't afford it.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
While not wishing to defend any sitting government, ISTR they said no on account of NHS Employers bleating that they couldn't afford it.
Well if our independent pay review body based on the price of cauliflowers, bacon and ready salted crisps recomemended 1%. It makes me wonder how inflation is different for the MP's 'Independent' pay review body.

Wets.
The government has today (12 March 2015) set out the pay awards for nearly a million public sector workers. These are in line with the policy that pay awards would be an average of up to 1% in 2015-16.

The following independent Pay Review Bodies (PRB) were asked to examine how an increase to base pay of an average of up to 1% could be applied across the relevant public sector workforces:

• Armed Forces Pay Review Body (AFPRB)
  • Doctors’ and Dentists’ Review Body (DDRB)
  • Prison Service Pay Review Body (PSPRB)
  • Senior Salaries Review Body (SSRB)
  • School Teachers’ Review Body (STRB)
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/public-sector-pay-awards-for-2015-16

No mention of plod though?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32981549

As per the recommendation of the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority.

Backdated to 8 May, and designed to compensate for all the things like evening meals that they can't claim for anymore.
So they'll be getting £74,000 p.a now. Not bad for a three-day week spread over 24 weeks of the year, eh? And you can bet your arrse that they'll still find a way to claim all manner of things on top of that.

MsG

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
So they'll be getting £74,000 p.a now. Not bad for a three-day week spread over 24 weeks of the year, eh? And you can bet your arrse that they'll still find a way to claim all manner of things on top of that.

MsG
Well spotted Einstein, however on the original subject this has been going on for years , a excessive pay rise, much crocodile tears over accepting but somehow they manage to get brave,man up and accept it

MB1992

Clanker
I love how recently it came to light that an MP was claiming £17k a year for accommodation benefits for work. He also owned out right an apartment only 5 minutes walk away from the Houses of Parliament but rented that out for extra income. How's that reasonable. As well as these huge pay rises?! What would we get back? One rule for another I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love how recently it came to light that an MP was claiming £17k a year for accommodation benefits for work. He also owned out right an apartment only 5 minutes walk away from the Houses of Parliament but rented that out for extra income. How's that reasonable.
IDSTR anything in the JSP that says we can't claim overnight accommodation when on detached duty if we happen to have a rental property near the detached duty location: be a bit rough on the tennants if we had to kick them out now and again

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
After most elections? Almost yearly. Didnt parliament vote itself 10% last year?
Not quite, but still well over the rest of the country.

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority said there appeared to be no "material" reason to alter its proposal, first put forward in 2013.

Unless "new evidence" emerged, MPs' pay will rise from £67,060 to £74,000.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wonder who funds IPSA

Mr_Pink

War Hero
Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Frankly, for a job which involves a decent amount of legwork to actually get, weekly travel from home, a minimum of five years out of your normal career, significant hours when in London, and intrusion and public opprobrium at every turn, £67K is not a great deal. It is not remotely comparable to civilian packages for similar gigs. Public service is all very well, but it's the kind of thing you take a 20% pay cut to do. Not a 60% pay cut.

We can bleat about 1% rises for MPs all we like, but paying people less than the going rate has a direct impact on who we get, and what they do while they’re in office. So if we want to continue attracting a disproportionate number of the independently wealthy who can afford the hit, or the council equality and diversity officer for whom an MP’s salary is a considerable step up, and we want them to continue going after as many directorships, Have I Got News For You slots, and consulting engagements as they can, then let’s crack on with the current system. If we want the successful entrepreneur, financier, business owner or barrister, who’s going to focus 100% on their constituents’ business because they’re paid the market rate, then we’ll have to pay the market rate.

I reckon a ‘Reservist Allowance’ system is the way ahead. Everyone gets the basic salary of £75K odd, but if Morgan Stanley paid you £1M a year, that’s what you get in Parliament. That’s what the market decided you were worth, so that’s what we should pay if UK plc wants to engage your services.

ottar

LE
It's also easy to say when you're already independently wealthy and don't really need paying at all.
It's a bit different for those from 'the real world' for whom it is their sole income. £74k p.a., living in London and constituency, long hours, with the media delving into every aspect of your - and your family's - current and past life, and it effectively ending any other career you may have is hardly the stuff of dreams.
A half decent plumber earns that, for far less.
I love how recently it came to light that an MP was claiming £17k a year for accommodation benefits for work. He also owned out right an apartment only 5 minutes walk away from the Houses of Parliament but rented that out for extra income. How's that reasonable. As well as these huge pay rises?! What would we get back? One rule for another I guess!
I've heard that BT engineers are given free use of a van, even if they own one themselves.
It's just shocking.

Latest Threads