MPs question the Secretary of State for Defence, Monday 14 July at 2.30pm

DOT

Old-Salt
Questions to the Secretary of State for Defence
Due to take place at 2.30pm, Monday 14 July in the House of Commons Chamber

Questions tabled to be asked this week include the following topics:

Middle East
  • What policies he is pursuing to prevent political disintegration in Afghanistan similar to that occurring in Iraq after NATO forces leave. (Philip Hollobone)
  • What recent discussions he has had with his NATO counterparts on the situation in the Middle East. (Anne McIntosh)
  • What plans he has to consult partner countries in the Middle East about a solution to the current violence in Iraq. (John Glen)
Strategic Defence and Security Review 2015
  • What plans he has to encourage public debate on the defence needs of the UK in advance of the Strategic Defence and Security Review in 2015. (Peter Luff)
  • What progress his Department has made on the next Strategic Defence and Security Review; and if he will make a statement. (Bridget Phillipson)
Public recognition
  • What steps he is taking to ensure that the commitment and sacrifice of the armed forces is recognised by the public. (Jackie Doyle-Price)
Trident
  • What assessment he has made of the recommendations of the Concluding Report of the Trident Commission set up by the British American Security Information Council. (Henry Smith)
  • What his policy is on the future of the UK's nuclear deterrent. (Priti Patel)

A list of all Questions tabled for Monday’s questions to the Secretary of State for Defence can be found at House of Commons: Order of Business Monday 14 July 2014

How to watch:
The Questions can be viewed on Parliament TV (Silverlight or Windows Media Player required to stream TV): Parliament TV Player: 14 July 2014

Transcripts of proceedings in the House of Commons Chamber are available three hours after they happen in Todays Commons Debates

Which questions are you most interested in?

Bad CO

Admin
Nick Smith (Blaenau Gwent) (Lab):
Last month’s National Audit Office report on Army 2020 showed that Ministers had not done the basic work to ensure the successful delivery of the reforms, particularly of reservist recruitment. Poor planning data had been used and assumptions were not tested. Why did the Minister not challenge those half-baked proposals?

The Minister for the Armed Forces (Mr Mark Francois):
When I served in the Territorial Army in the 1980s, I served on something called Exercise Lionheart in 1984. In those days, what was the Territorial Army had 75,000 trained men and women under arms, drawn from a smaller population. I have to believe that if we could achieve 75,000 then, we can get 30,000 trained men and women by 2018-19. We can do this, and I believe that we will.

A gold star to anyone who can spot him!

Seriously though,did the TA actually have 75,000 (properly) trained people back then? I find that difficult to believe.

DOT

Old-Salt
The full transcript of yesterday's questions to the SoS Philip Hammond is now available at Commons Hansard: 14 July 2014

As you're aware there is a Cabinet reshuffle taking place - we'll update you as soon as we have confirmation of any changes in the MoD.

Thanks
DOT

Latest Threads