MPs portraits cost taxpayer £250,000 wonder how much is spent by MOD?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
One of the sad bits about this is the poor quality of the result. Not just Diane A who I hope is hugely embarrassed, but Betty Boothroyd's pic which doesn't look anything like her. We've had two generations of feting daubers who can't draw and this is the result.

B

bokkatankie

One of the sad bits about this is the poor quality of the result. Not just Diane A who I hope is hugely embarrassed, but Betty Boothroyd's pic which doesn't look anything like her. We've had two generations of feting daubers who can't draw and this is the result.

Thats art init, emperors new clothes and all that, National Portrait Gallery has some of the best and worst on display. A trip around clubland in London shows more of the vanity of the sitter rather than the artist. But if you are paying someone to paint you (rather than the public purse) one tends to have more control of the result. Having said that the results can be equally awful.

Having said that the results can be equally awful.

I saw a portrait once, can't remember who of or who by, except that it was a couple and the bloke painted had made a fortune evicting people from their land under the Enclosures Act. The artist obviously hated the pair of them and the result was a portrait of the two most vicious-looking, pinch-faced utter shits I have ever seen. And the beauty of it is that they can hardly ask for their money back. What would they say?

"In your portrait, I look like a horrible, vicious little swine and my wife looks the same". Which would beg the answer, 'I paint what I see'.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I thought Rolf Harris'a portrait of HMQ was quite good. I imagine that's been moved to the embarrassing cupboard.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
IIRC it was sent back to the beeb
Not sure why the palace was worried HM was clearly older than 11 and therefore perfectly safe from Rolf (allegedly)

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Someone who allegedly might tie a kangaroo down might not be too fussy ..

Diane Abbott my arse, it's John Regis

regis_zps8c9959be.jpg

Probably a close match, though I have no wish to gaze upon either ...:shock:

I can assure you my pale spotty derrière is a whole sight better looking than Ms. Abbotts bloated chops

Chef

LE
Abbot's picture reminds me of the forensic reconstructions taken from the skulls of long dead people and about as accurate.

Prime Minister, Opposition Leader, Speaker of the House I can understand being payed for by the overly taxed taxpayer and that's it, the rest should fund their own ugly Fizzogs or maybe ask Quentin Tarantino to make a new film called 'Vainglorious Basterds' in which MP's kill each other off with backstabs coupled with theft & buggery. Hold on, that's already been done.........you can watch it every day at 9pm..........
it's called the News.

But seriously, If they are so big on promoting Austerity why didn't someone ask ART Schools or Colleges to bid on them, with the Winner of each Portrait receiving a grant towards their own education.

Last edited:
Her rumor - sorry should have been more clear, I was referring to military history, not the quiet deification of someone I personally regard as having expressed views which if I were to utter in reverse would see me in court on racism charges faster than you can say 'positive discrimination isn't an excuse to hold racist views'...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

If she were white she would have been out of the job many years ago. She is a vile racist hag who can get away with her racism because of her skin colour, it is completely bizzare that racism is acceptable depending on your own race. Quite frankly I hope she happens to have the roof of her house fall on her head.

Latest Threads