MPs hit out at MoD over accommodation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Nov 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In today's Scotsman.

A related BAFF (British Armed Forces Federation) announcement is pending, following a BAFF meeting on Sunday.

2. Thing is hackle, do you know of a better choice for government? While opposition seem to be saying good stuff, it is entirely reactionary. This is dissapointing. All they need to do to look competent is point at Labour.

I reckon that we need a more active opposition. One that leads with policies rather than just criticise government failures. In some ways I can see us getting a Conservative government with little or no direction. Labour are buggering up enougth to make the Tories look better without the opposition having to get organised in any meaningfull way.
  3. Agreed they have not really come out with any meaningful policies. I think they should be asked just what they will do to rectify the present neglect. What is needed from both parties is a an immediate plan to deal with the wars and a ten year plan with cash commitment to put the forces back on their feet. Any takers?
  4. Link to the MOD's response to the Defence Committee's report on the work of Defence Estates: clicky.

Some choice comments from the MPs on the MoD response, see below. It's not a long document, and well worth a scan at the link given.

5. True - Brown's Clowns make almost ANYONE look good!

Unfortunately, there is no real alternative; they are ALL a bunch of cnuts!

That's why we MUST get Clarkson to stand for Parliament! Or better yet, install him as Leader following the Coup... :twisted:
  6. Random question but do the armed forces not come under the health and safety Nazis or does Crown immunity take care of that? I'm assuming that's why no-one's ever sued the government over the atrocious living conditions and health risks.
  7. Is it correct that of the £5 billion assigned to improved housing actually £2 billion of that is going to pay rentals to Anningtons rather than real repairs ? If so, someone has been spinning again :( :cry:
  8. They said so on BBBC news this morning.
  9. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Crown Immunity was resincinded some years ago (2001, IIRC). So, your question is valid. That being said, I am pretty sure that several posters on this site have threatened that tactic and created the effect before proceedings formally began. Funny that. :x
  10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

The sign that a major review of defence policy ending with major cuts in the forces.

Signs: Selling of great lumps of accommodation and renting it back.
    Major refurbishment in MOD owned property.

Exactly the same happened prior to the Tory's major cuts in options for change. Already rumours coming out this weekend about major cuts in the RAC.

Once they manage to extract the troops from one of the conflicts standby.
  11. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

elovabloke - does that mean that the last fraction is about to be swallowed up with a burp by the Boneheads?
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's a bit silly for the politicians to be b!tching about MOD funding of service housing isn't it?

Service housing is taking a knock because the MOD has to make a choice between that . . . and equipment, ammunition, vehicles, helicopters, planes and er . . . two underfunded wars.

Very simply answer to that one: The POLITICIANS need to agree to a wholesale increase in funding for the MOD, with a specific and large increase for forces housing. Are we still selling off bases BTW? Oh, yes, we are!
  13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Anyone know who the Directors of Annington Homes are? I can't find them as my Google powers are too weak..... Also, any Brit Directors of Nomura?

Just interested, it's always worthwhile following the money in things like this.
  14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Tad busy at the moment but you may get something HERE