Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPs handcuff, detain National Guard chaplain in Kuwait ... for wearing headphones

MPs handcuff, detain National Guard chaplain in Kuwait ... for wearing headphones
Davis Winkie

17 November 2020
In a perfect encapsulation of 21st century life on Kuwait’s Camp Buehring, a Pennsylvania Army National Guard chaplain was handcuffed and hauled off by military police after a dispute with the installation command sergeant major.

What crime was committed by Capt. Justin Thomas, a chaplain who ministers to the 628th Aviation Support Battalion? Why, the unforgivable act of wearing headphones while walking, of course.

Rumors about the harrowing incident were first circulated by U.S. Army W.T.F! moments, which shared a screenshot Friday of a related conversation.

Thomas, as described, was casually strolling through the camp with his headphones in his ears when the sergeant major, eager to enforce installation policy, attempted to flag him down.

“I first want to say that I don’t harbor any hard feelings about this misunderstanding,” Thomas told Military Times. “The Camp Buehring sergeant major was trying to do his job and enforce a policy about walking with headphones. ... [He] was trying to get my attention, but I couldn’t hear him.”

Perhaps exhaustion factored in the chaplain zoning out. Officials didn’t specify whether Thomas was on a run at the time of the infraction, but previous Pennsylvania National Guard news articles paint a picture of an elite marathon runner and member of the All-Guard marathon team.

Whatever the reason, Thomas was subsequently handcuffed before the camp’s military police transported him to the station, where he was instructed to wait for his command to pick him up.

The chaplain characterized the behavior of his captors as “very professional,” adding that he was allowed to leave shortly after sorting out the miscommunication.

“The incident involving the 28th Expeditionary Combat Aviation Brigade Chaplain was the result of a misunderstanding,” said Capt. Jessica-Maria Jackson, Task Force Spartan’s director of public affairs.

“The Chaplain is taking this opportunity to work with [the] Camp Buehring Sergeant Major to help raise awareness on safety during physical fitness training.”

A defense official told Military Times that one soldier who went to retrieve Thomas jokingly brought along a nail file tucked away inside a Bible, presumably to aid the holy man’s escape.

Officials could not say for certain whether the chaplain has called in an eternal favor against the sergeant major. Those odds are slim, according to Thomas, who has maintained a sense of humor about the incident.

“How can I be a Chaplain and a leader to my Soldiers if I cannot demonstrate mercy, grace, and love, especially in a situation where the base [sergeant major] was trying to enforce a standard designed to keep our Soldiers safe?”

Observation Post articles reflect author observations or attempts at humor. Any resemblance to news may be purely coincidental.

Chaplain.JPG

Meh, that’s nothing. I called a CSM in Iraq a stupid cünt and ordered him out of my ICP.

Buehring always seems to attract flaming A-holes as Leadership even when I went through there in 04. But then they have no real mission so try to make it a stateside garrison.

offog

LE
My Grandfather told a story about visiting GHQ in the first years of his second war. This time he was a CSM. As he limped across the square a voice was heard "oy you!" repeated loader each time which he ignored. This was followed by the patter of big feet and a soldier stopping him "The RSM wants you". Grandfather shrugs him off and said "No he wants Oy" turns and carries on. He and Tasker had words latter in the mess.

Meh, that’s nothing. I called a CSM in Iraq a stupid cünt and ordered him out of my ICP.
One better. I ordered the SATO and SAT out of an ICP in Belfast in 1979. A stand up argument afterwards but no repercussions as they followed me up to a Blast Incendiary on the 3rd floor in a building behind Belfast City Hall. Cnuts the pair of them.

And this Command Sgt Major Senior Enlisted Advisor shit is getting out of hand. They need their necks winding in.

You need headphones to tune in to God; who knew? Does he need 5G to 'spread the Word'?

One better. I ordered the SATO and SAT out of an ICP in Belfast in 1979. A stand up argument afterwards but no repercussions as they followed me up to a Blast Incendiary on the 3rd floor in a building behind Belfast City Hall. Cnuts the pair of them.

That is cüntish, i’d have told them to do the task themselves, fully accepting that was end of tour, end of career.

When I was based there in Telic 11 the MPs were always stopping us and taking our details for not wearing lumi belts.
I often wondered what happened when they passed our fictitious names and ranks to the British unit based there.

Buehring always seems to attract flaming A-holes as Leadership even when I went through there in 04. But then they have no real mission so try to make it a stateside garrison.
Is it the holiday camp to which my Yank comrades in Baghdad fifteen years ago would have been sent for ersatz R&R? They always came back more pissed off and stressed than before they went.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
That is cüntish, i’d have told them to do the task themselves, fully accepting that was end of tour, end of career.
Gosh, you're awfully aggressive you ammo types :roll:

Isn't that meant to be a disadvantage when snipping wires etc?

ACAB

LE
Camp Buehring always had a far better PX than was available in Camp Virginia.

When I was based there in Telic 11 the MPs were always stopping us and taking our details for not wearing lumi belts.
I often wondered what happened when they passed our fictitious names and ranks to the British unit based there.

Did they get upset if you weren’t stood still when taps as played?

Pte Carl Gustav, by chance?