Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

MPs granted Legal Aid

Tubbyboy

War hero
Breaking news on the BBC, 3 MPs charged with theft over expenses claims have been granted Legal Aid to fund their defence. No link as yet.

LAbour MPs David Chaytor, Elliot Morely and Jim Devine apparently.

My gast is well and truly flabbered!

Tubs

Edited for clarity and names.

Tubbyboy said:
Breaking news on the BBC, 3 MPs charged with theft have been granted Legal Aid to fund their defence. No link as yet.

Chaytor, Morely and Devine apparently.

My gast is well and truly flabbered!

Tubs

How the fuck can they qualify for legal aid when getting nearly 65,000 + expenses! I've heard of looking after their own but this is ridiculous! More thievery by the swines at the trough! No doubt "western" will be offering his services :x :x :x

No_Duff said:
I stupidly thought that legal aid was for the "poor"

Why do you think they had to fiddle the books? Because they is poor innit!

£60,000 plus expenses doesn't buy much these days, least of all lawyers.

Hahaha, you've got to admire the brass balls it take to claim legal aid to defend you against charges of stealing the tax payers money. :D

You've got to laugh or you might cry.

I suppose the authorities (whoever they are :x ) had to grant this to ensure a 'fair' trial for these poor down trodden people.

If LA had not been given these 3 would be bleating that they could not afford to defend themselves and "We're innocent, 'onest Guv" . I hope that the legal aid will be just sufficient to give them the fair trial they want and then about 5 years jail time to reflect on their wrong doings.

I am surprised that there has not been a whip round in the H of C for these guys as they are keeping the heat off many others (although I believe there are more cases potentially out there).

As I have said on another thread on this subject … I was surprised , as others were at the speed at which these cases came to trial . At present as I understand it Crown Court defence costs are not means tested so these pillars of society can claim Legal Aid . At the end of this year however the legislation will change to introduce means testing at Crown Court . It stinks !

Good, it simply means that the aid granted is recovered from any property recovered or preserved which means that when the case goes all the way to the Supreme Court on the Constitutional point and they lose, which they inevitably will, the considerable legal costs will be recovered from their available assets, which will include their homes in a court-ordered sale.

They are Members of Parliament who have presided over a system which has made access to justice almost impossible for ordinary men and women who face losing their homes as the price of losing in court.

Hoist to their own petard!

Iolis said:
Good, it simply means that the aid granted is recovered from any property recovered or preserved which means that when the case goes all the way to the Supreme Court on the Constitutional point and they lose, which they inevitably will, the considerable legal costs will be recovered from their available assets, which will include their homes in a court-ordered sale.
They are Members of Parliament who have presided over a system which has made access to justice almost impossible for ordinary men and women who face losing their homes as the price of losing in court.

Hoist to their own petard!

My bold - in a fair and just land perhaps that would happen, but I am willing to bet that this will not happen to these guys.

mark1234 said:
Hahaha, you've got to admire the brass balls it take to claim legal aid to defend you against charges of stealing the tax payers money. :D

You've got to laugh or you might cry.

I actually feel like crying. This must be the final nail in the coffin for anyone, ANYONE, who doesn't think they were all a pack of theiving self important barstewards. These 3 men have continued to act like the narcissistic, idiotic, out of touch cretins that they are.

I honestly hope there is a large angry mob with pitchforks and flaming torches outside of the trial now. Maybe then they will realise just how much damage they have done.

Border_Reiver said:
As I have said on another thread on this subject … I was surprised , as others were at the speed at which these cases came to trial . At present as I understand it Crown Court defence costs are not means tested so these pillars of society can claim Legal Aid . At the end of this year however the legislation will change to introduce means testing at Crown Court . It stinks !

What does? The fact that those on a reasonable to good earning may find that they are unable to afford to defend themselves or that "guilty bastards" such as these won't have more money wasted on them by the tax payer. We do all believe in "innocent until proven guilty", don't we?

Trouble is you can't have it both ways.

As I am on a good wage, I assume that I'll fall foul of this pay your share deal to be brought in. I don't really like the idea of having to cripple myself defending myself against the State. Sounds like the US.

For the future.

For the rich - who cares?
For the poor - case remains
For those in the middle - find the cash and we don't care how it hurts. Justice will be done in line with the depth of your pocket to defend yourself...

Considering the powers and new laws this government has brought in in the last 13 years. I agree. That stinks.

[quote="in_the_cheapseatsguilty", don't we?

For the future.

For those in the middle - find the cash and we don't care how it hurts. Justice will be done in line with the depth of your pocket to defend yourself...

Considering the powers and new laws this government has brought in in the last 13 years. I agree. That stinks.[/quote]

I don't think that 'Justice' has much to do with the law in this country any more.

in_the_cheapseats said:
Border_Reiver said:

What does? The fact that those on a reasonable to good earning may find that they are unable to afford to defend themselves or that "guilty bastards" such as these won't have more money wasted on them by the tax payer. We do all believe in "innocent until proven guilty", don't we?

Trouble is you can't have it both ways.

As I am on a good wage, I assume that I'll fall foul of this pay your share deal to be brought in. I don't really like the idea of having to cripple myself defending myself against the State. Sounds like the US.

For the future.

Considering the powers and new laws this government has brought in in the last 13 years. I agree. That stinks.

What stinks is the speed at which these cases have come to Crown Court and they will be within the current system .