MPs Forum

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Letterwritingman, Sep 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How soon?.............when will the morally bankrupt grace this website? I've got loads to get off my chest!! :twisted:

2. I hope you've got a very sharp and dedicated moderator on standby. I can see the MPs' Forum very quickly descending into a barrage of obscenities, directed toward our legislative guests, which is fine, but I doubt they'll put up with it for very long.

My other concern is, they'll read some of the more extreme views posted on ARRSE, such as the constant racist remarks trotted out by certain individuals (no names, no pack drill) and refuse to be associated with the site, until it is moderated according to generally accepted standards of taste and decency.

It'll be a shame if it doesn't work, but I think ARRSE is going to have to curb some of its edge, if the MPs' Forum is to stand any chance of surviving here.

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Good points and things that we have considered - personally I hope that, as military people, our users know when to behave and when not to. I accept that there will always be a mindless few and that is why we will have lots of moderators for this forum with instructions to delete any of the usual drivel that pops up! Unfortunately it also seems that our elected representatives are starting to focus on other things at the moment (party conferences) and it maybe that the MPs forum doesn't happen for a while.

As for the rest of the site, I'm sorry that you consider that the site doesn't
    We have considered this issue long and hard but are content that it reflects the widest variety of opinion. We have always adopted a free speech ethos and I hope this continues - even though many of the posts disagree with my personal views.

One of the pleasing things for me is that although we often get extremist posts on the site they are normally argued against in a coherent manner. In my opinion, the only way to deal with this sort of attitude is by demonstrating the flaws on which they are based. Merely deleting/ignoring/etc drives it underground.

Please feel free to continue this debate!!

4. I have to agree with the CO here - in many ways this site is the embodiment of MPs' constant calls for 'rational debate' on sensitive issues, with extremism tackled by reasoned rebuttals - maybe not in the NAAFI, but then that's not what the NAAFI is for. That's the strength of this site - there's places to debate things and there's places to gob off.

Given the inevitable press interest in the MPs Forum when it kicks off, it'll be interesting to see which of these places the press use to portray ARRSE - will it be MPs getting involved in a hotbed of unmitigated extremist polemic from disaffected squaddies, or will it be MPs getting involved in rational, thought-provoking discussion with politically-aware, thinking servicemen and women?

ARRSE can be either of these things.

5. Bad CO

Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to do a Mary Whitehouse here. I enjoy robust debate, I'm not easily offended (is anyone in the Army?) and I believe bigots should be shown up for what they are. But what I think isn't really important. My point is, do you think an MP is going to risk being associated with a site that allows appallingly racist remarks, for example, some of those posted in the recent 'Arabs' thread (Current Affairs), to remain uncensored? They might just regard it as political suicide. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.

6. Nope, it can be both of these things. If the MP's happen to read "unmitigated extremist polemic from disaffected squaddies", then that is not neccesarily a bad thing. Maybe it will make them wonder why some serving members happen to hold views such as that.

As BCO said, "extremist posts on the site they are normally argued against in a coherent manner. In my opinion, the only way to deal with this sort of attitude is by demonstrating the flaws on which they are based. Merely deleting/ignoring/etc drives it underground.". I have been on both sides of that coin, with some of he more "knee jerk" comments that I have made being shot down in flames as well as being the shooter on others. The flow of conversation and the "point / counterpoint" method minus any censorship gives a far better feel of what people really think about the issues at hand.

I really hope it works as I can not think of any other means where they could get an accurate gauge of what serving, ex and civilian "interested parties" are thinking all in one go.

7. agree with Aunty here,

regardless of how abhorrent you (an MP or another member of ARRSE i mean) feel about certain views, this must not prevent them from being aired.

sure BCO and GCO (when he ever raises his head again) can then step in, but at the very least, it tells others what is being really discussed in more private arenas (i.e. the barracks - where it really mattters).

8. It will be interseting to see how many MPs will contribute to the site and under who's control ie Whips/media types/spin doctors etc. How much leeway will they have to speak for themselves or am I missing the point here?

9. I dont think there will be any response from our glorious leaders/wannabe leaders. Those who feel important enough wont be interested and those that arn't that far up the pecking order will be too worried about stepping out of line. At the very best we'll get some insignificant "wasnt going anywhere anyway" type :evil:

10. And how many journo's pretend to be MP's trying to get a quote for whatever rag they write for.

Will the genuine MP's (if there is such a thing) use the chat room as a sort of surgery for real time questions, or will it's merely be another means for them to post drivel and pre-determined spin :roll:

11. can't help wondering what sort of reception "Gorgeous" George Galloway will get!!!!

12. Can we suggest defence questions? Maybe there could be a prize (ARRSE potato head) for the best one!

Here's one for starters: "Will the Secretary of State confirm that there will be no cuts to the SLAM accommodation upgrade programme?" A little birdie tells me that tens of millions are to be slashed from it! :twisted:

13. Guys

The MP forum will happen , there have been declarations of interest AND confirmations.

At present ,the form will be a forum , with a "virtual live surgery" to be decided at a later date.

Fuchs 66 - Nice cynicism. Shall we wait and see who the MP's are? :wink:

Yes it is an experiment.Yes we will moderate it carefully, especially ,as the press will be all over it like a rash. But it won't be "You will ask this question ,and behave like this ,otherwise you'll be the Extras King"

We would hope the majority of our posters would treat the elected representatives, with a modicum of respect, and understand that the answers given ,will not just pertain to them ,but to other silent lurkers as well

It has taken a lot of time and effort to get the MP's to this stage.It will become increasingly important as we approach the election.

We intend to target representatives from MP's , through to PPC's and Garrison Council representatives, for you to ask the questions that you NEED answers to.

This can be a useful facility ,as long as it's not spoilt.

As regards timings , look for a crash start after the last conference is held.

Regards

PTP

14. So, within the meaning of common sense, humour, and reasoned debate we`ll be allowed to ask the MPs anything, without having knuckles rapped.
    Or is it strictly politics only.

15. Well done that it has got so far but I will remain cynical until convinced otherwise. :roll:

There is still however a little voice in the back of my head that keeps suggesting I may be pleasently surprised (and it would be nice for a change) but I aint holding my breath :twisted: