MPs Expenses - A suggestion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Shiny_pips, Apr 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a half-baked idea for those with more intellect to run with/shoot down in flames as the fancy takes:

Establish MPs' Mess close to Westminster, to be run along the lines of a 500 bed Officers' Mess, funded by not paying out £150 in what we would call Subsistence Allowance to every MP every day.

Economies of Scale
    Single point of focus for security
    Limited scope for abuse
    MPs can demonstrate that they are not as self-serving as we think
    They can get a taste of life with Sodexho!

Start-up costs (although if PFI is good enough for us...)
  2. Daily operating budget of £75k - should be able to provide a nice service and return for the PFI contractor.

For the long holidays, sorry recesses, the majority of the accom could be let out to tourists and other users. More profit

Downside - a nice easy target for terrorists. Sorry! - Upside a nice easy target for terrorists
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Let the army come in and feed them at £1.20 a day or what ever it is now
    I can just see Prescotts face as some chef shouts "oi 1 sausage, 1 bacon tw4t"
  4. Another advantage is that it would make a lovely target. All the lying, thieving little shits in one place! :twisted:
  5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

As the members club feel it is not up to the public to be involved in this debate with no consultation you can suggest what you like but I would do it HERE. I'm sure he would love to hear from you.
  6. I'd just give them JPA, save a fortune.

I can't work it & I never seem to get any money out of it no matter how hard I keep hitting the screen.
  7. Apparently the Aussies already do this - Menzies Campbell did manage to get that much out last night. With the Telegraph putting the budget at £93 million annually, I still don't see why this idea couldn't float.