MPs court bid for answers fails

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 30, 2006.

?
  1. No. Select committees should be further empowered to deal with this

50.0%
  2. Yes. It should be via the High Court

25.0%
  3. Yes

25.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6098708.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6098708.stm

Should the courts have the power to enforce an answer to questions when they are considered in the public interest?

2. The courts should have the power PTP but in a country that is corrupt to the very top (a fact very obvious when you consider the impending questioning re: cash for peerages scandal that somewhat heavily involves Tony Blair allegedly) it would take some really squeaky clean and hardened ethical types to resist temptation/ pressures from the government etc and actually fulfil their roles as "enforcers of the truth".

I'd truly love to see it happen but don't think it will in my lifetime!

3. I don't agree, Parliament should be the highest authority in the land, they are, after all, our elected representatives. MPs should be able to get honest answers from ministers and if not there should be a system in pklace to force them to answer, failing that removal from the commons.

4. But who decides whether a question is in the public interest? A very dangerous precedent to set.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

My bold. Sounds like just the job for all those find upstanding ex WO's. Same pay a the twwwwwaaatttsss at Westminister to stop any need for bungs. 8)

6. No I do not think judges should be allowed to compel MPs to answer questions since the rules of the Houses of Parliament are not set down in Statute - nor common law. The rules governing procedure can only be subject to judicial ruling if they are in breach of legislation e.g. Equality and Diversity. Did this MP invoke a specific piece of legislation that he felt applied, to compel an answer?

I believe that most information would be accessible through Fredom of Information requests. However I would support a strengthening of the powers of select committees in order that they could compel testimony, this would go a long way to improving openness in government.

7. I agree - especially with empowering select committees

8. I believe that most information would be accessible through Fredom of Information requests. However I would support a strengthening of the powers of select committees in order that they could compel testimony, this would go a long way to improving openness in government.[/quote]

Good point there!