MPs blubbing about expenses system.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
The head of the IPSa has resigned, and was none-too-pleased at the threats and abuse he was getting from cry-baby MPs who'd had their free-ride cut off.

Linky on the Times

Times said:
New expenses chaos as MPs clash with watchdog

The supervision of MPs’ allowances following the expenses scandal is in chaos after the head of the new body in charge complained to party whips about abuse of his staff.

Tensions between the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa), headed by Andrew McDonald, and MPs are boiling over, with bitter complaints that the new system is failing. Nick Clegg will be dragged into the row later this week when politicians vent their anger at what they claim is an overly bureaucratic and poorly managed scheme in the Commons. “The system is in chaos,” said David Winnick, the Labour MP for Walsall North. “All our hopes that the problems over expenses would be resolved have been totally undermined by Ipsa.”

New rules on staffing, housing and office costs are unclear and efforts to clarify them are often frustrated, say MPs. Some claim that they have been left tens of thousands of pounds out of pocket because of delays in authorising allowances; others claim that the new rules are being applied inconsistently.

One example cited was a requirement for MPs to produce birth certificates for some, but not all, of their children to cover travel expenses.

In the wake of the stabbing of Stephen Timms, the MP for East Ham, a newly elected female MP said that she was told that she could not install a burglar alarm at her constituency office until she had obtained a police risk assessment, which could take a year to complete.

The teething problems have already led to the dismissal of some MPs’ staff. New restrictions on employment budgets were frozen after an outcry, but the U-turn came too late for some.

The agency, nicknamed “I Punish Staff Also”, has also been criticised for revising its rules online without notifying MPs. “You have to read through their rules from start to finish every week to find out what’s been changed.”

The scale of the ill-feeling was laid bare at the weekend when a senior official said that he was quitting for the sake of his health and sanity. Nigel Gooding said he was too drained to carry on as Ipsa’s operations director.

Although he denied that he had been hounded out, Mr McDonald, the body’s chief executive, raised the conduct of some MPs in a series of private meetings with whips from all three main parties, The Times has learnt.

Mr McDonald wrote to all MPs last week acknowledging their concerns but defending the new rules as fair, workable and transparent. A spokeswoman said: “Senior managers have spoken to the whips to ensure that MPs engage with Ipsa staff and advisers in the most productive way.”

Paul Farrelly, the Labour MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme, has denounced the operation of the expenses system as prehistoric, amateurish, self-defeating and bureaucracy gone mad. “I came across one MP who seemed to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown because of all this,” he said.
Well, we all know why the IPSA was formed, but the matter hasn't, it seems, sunk into the thick skulls of the cretins we elect.

Paul Farrelly being a case in point.

I felt moved to write him a missive, in the manner of 'Mr Disgusted of Royal Tunbridge Wells'.

For your delectation:

Biped said:
Sir,

I note today that you are quoted in the Times newspaper as being quite strong in your opinions on the new IPSA.

You are quoted “Paul Farrelly, the Labour MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme, has denounced the operation of the expenses system as prehistoric, amateurish, self-defeating and bureaucracy gone mad. “I came across one MP who seemed to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown because of all this,” he said.”

As many have already said, you are now subject to the very same system (with many more perks still, besides) that employees of commercial firms are subject too. You are paid handsomely with my taxes, with both golden hellos and goodbyes, plus what is still an exceptionally generous expenses system. You have large payments that are not even subject to taxes, whereas in the real world, they would be. If you work in the cabinet, you get a vehicle, with driver, and yet your tax code doesn’t change; in the real world, the tax loss would be punitive and heavy.

The system has come into being, as you are well aware, because your own colleagues lied, cheated and stole hundreds of thousands of pounds of my and my fellow citizens tax money through spurious and downright dubious claims, from claiming for employing children who were actually at university full time, to flipping homes 3 times in a year to get the most out of the system, such as your colleague Hazel Blears. We, ‘ordinary’ citizens would not get away with spending millions of pounds of tax-payers money on expensive lawyers to try and keep us out of jail on the basis of ‘Parliamentary Privilege’, as some of your colleagues have done – on LEGAL AID of all things!

As you people cannot be trusted not to lie, or steal from the public purse, you must prove what you claim for. It happens in the real world, so get used to it and stop dribbling and whining.

Perhaps you’d prefer to face struggling for work without any of those perks, because I for one will happily spend my after-tax income on local adverts in your area come the next election to remind your constituents of what really matters to you. It’s quite clearly not your long suffering voters, who have to work often equally as hard, if not harder than you, for far less tax-free perks.

Basically "Tough, deal with it" the rest of the country has to contend with future hardships then who are they to be exempt?

They'll be considering themselves as flippin Royality next, their career choice don't like it change, simple's

Nice one Biped, I am sure that is not the only letter he received in similar vein. They are now subject to a very mild dose of the statutory systems they and their predecessors have put into place when members of the public come into contact with public bodies such as the Child Support Agency, the DSS, the Inland Revenue and others to which entitlement is not dependent upon the validity of the claim, but rather, the production of the required paperwork confirming the legitimacy of the claim with the presumption that the claimant is both a congenital idiot and practised liar!

I doubt if a single member of the public has the slightest sympathy for them.

Personally, I think the office needs to be located outside of Parliament in a public High Street. Any expression of rightous indignation can then be classified by the staff as 'agressive behaviour' and the Police called, as often happens. This allows the office staff the luxury of losing paperwork, taking days off, basic rudeness and discourtesy and subjecting claimants to long hours of waiting while the staff gossip and drink coffee to send the claimant away again because he has filled in the forms incorrectly!

So they are complaining about an "overly bureaucratic and poorly managed scheme".

Well, wecome to the real f*cking world you spastics.

That's exactly what it's like when any of us normal proles have to deal with the government in any way.

I wouldn't pay the buggers in washers, bunch of money grubbing no-marks the lot of 'em.

Beaurocratic and over complicated system?

They should try working in the rest of the public sector. Need a fecking PhD in computer science and half a tree of paperwork just to claim for a night in a travelodge on business in the "self-administration" systems where I am. Far from saving overheads, I'd say it takes up 10% of regular staff time, which the public are paying for.

the Times said:
Paul Farrelly, the Labour MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme, has denounced the operation of the expenses system as prehistoric, amateurish, self-defeating and bureaucracy gone mad. “I came across one MP who seemed to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown because of all this,” he said.
I suspect he's fibbing on a Elliot Morley scale or it shows a lack of character of the MP in question, who is at 'the edge of a nervous breakdown' due to having to claim on expenses for being in office for a total of 34 days.

I bet their constituents would love to hear about this Honourable and selfless public servant?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Biped said:
In the wake of the stabbing of Stephen Timms, the MP for East Ham, a newly elected female MP said that she was told that she could not install a burglar alarm at her constituency office until she had obtained a police risk assessment, which could take a year to complete.
Now, without charging consulting fees, can anyone see a way whereby our un-named heroine, who gets paid c£56k per annum, could possibly arrange for one to be fitted and the installer remunerated?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't get to add the final bit: (fookin ARRSE site thingy or something).

Biped said:
. . . . . . . . . .

Perhaps you’d prefer to face struggling for work without any of those perks, because I for one will happily spend my after-tax income on local adverts in your area come the next election to remind your constituents of what really matters to you. It’s quite clearly not your long suffering voters, who have to work often equally as hard, if not harder than you, for far less tax-free perks.

Do remember that you have this system because MPs got caught abusing the system they put in place for themselves. We, the voters are disgusted by your pre-historic, amateurish, self-defeating attitudes as far as OUR money goes. There was not enough bureaucracy before, and theft was the result.

Yours, a tax-paying, hard-working, honest voter.

Biped

Sixty said:
Biped said:
Now, without charging consulting fees, can anyone see a way whereby our un-named heroine, who gets paid c£56k per annum, could possibly arrange for one to be fitted and the installer remunerated?
Report the theft from her office of her Parliamentary Staff list containing the names, addresses and home & office telephone numbers of each MP , then follow up with a letter of apology to the Party Leader.

Free Alarm installed at the speed of light!

I don't understand why anyone one with any brains would want to become an MP in the first place.

It can't be the money, because the average London professional wouldn't get out of bed for the salary, plus you now have to constantly keep putting your hand in your pocket for work stuff because if you make a mistake on an expense form you'll be dry bummed in public by journalists who are on five times what you earn.

The people you are working so hard to represent hate you on principle and wouldn't know how to express gratitude to a public servant even if it crossed their mind to do so.

So it is hardly surprising the talented stay well clear of Parliament and leave it to the wierd, the power mad and the personality disordered.

We have the leaders we deserve.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Micawber said:
I don't understand why anyone one with any brains would want to become an MP in the first place.

It can't be the money, because the average London professional wouldn't get out of bed for the salary, plus you now have to constantly keep putting your hand in your pocket for work stuff because if you make a mistake on an expense form you'll be dry bummed in public by journalists who are on five times what you earn.

The people you are working so hard to represent hate you on principle and wouldn't know how to express gratitude to a public servant even if it crossed their mind to do so.

So it is hardly surprising the talented stay well clear of Parliament and leave it to the wierd, the power mad and the personality disordered.

Well, that's where you haven't thought this one through.

Don't, whatever you do, confuse 'Public Servant' with 'London Professional'.

The second you do, you start paying these wasters £500,000 per annum with gold plated pensions, and they aren't even qualified in the professions, most of them.

£65,000 is about £30,000 more per annum than the average wage in this country. The average wage in the town where I live is more like £14,000.

Spouting nonsense about 'London Professionals' and equivalent salaries is only going to get MPs hated even more.

Just a thought.

Micawber said:

It can't be the money,
I thought MP's stood to earn up to £800,000 PA what with special comissions, Parliamentary comittees etc. It also holds prestige as others have mentioned, including protected after-service benefits like pensions etc. Not only that, but you are more employable (in most cases) once you finish up screwing the public from the Palace of Westminster.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Can someone remind me of that site which gives contact details for the MP in my area - theyworkforyou or something like that?

Ta

Paul Farrelly, quoted as having used up his overdraft facility and now may be unable to pay his mortgage. Perhaps he should have managed his spending better. He was, apparently, eligible for a £4,000 advance and "relaxation" of the £110,000 cap on staffing costs.
Suggestion, if you can't budget properly why not go to Ocean Finance and sell your soul. After all, loads of us "plebs" have to! Whining cnuts make my piss boil.