MPs and their medals.

I can see why some might want to get the outrage bus POL'd for this but - puh-leeze - no need.

If MPs are being awarded AFPS medals then I'm not losing much sleep, other than asking the obvious question of "why?".

Had an MP come out on (police) patrol with me a few years ago. He seemed very switched on about the AF and if it gets poli's out of the house and seeing real something approaching real life I am on all in favour. I am more miffed about the "commissions" they seem to be earning actually.

Anything that encourages MPs to take an interest in the Armed Forces or recognises them for having done so is alright by me. If it's official, it's not 'Mickey Mouse'; it's just a badge. None of them seem to be confusing it with an award for gallantry or long service so why are others?

We keep moaning about how few MPs have previous military experience. At least the AFPS is a way to give them some and see the different services from a variety of view points.

An unofficial medal that is effectively nothing more than a commitment award is really not something that causes me any concern.

If anything expand the AFPS making it obligatory to have so many days previous experience to be qualified to work in either MoD, FCO, Treasury or DFID as a junior minister and we might get some more awareness into the system.

From the article -

The UK National Defence Medal campaign, which is calling for medals for all armed service personnel who have served the country since the Second World War, also believes the MPs' medal is unjustified.
Terry Scriven, a co-chairman of the campaign, said: "This scheme started off as very laudable, but it is outrageous that an MP can get what is effectively a Mickey Mouse medal for little more than 22 days' service when we have members who served our country and got nothing. I don't understand how a scheme like this can be run by a private organisation outside of the MoD or Parliament's control."
Priceless

C_C

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
ANYTHING that gets our contemptible MPs out of their duck house and into contact with the armed services MUST be good, because it gives serving people a chance to bend the MPs ears (which I hope they DO) - if these second-rate half men have to be bribed with a bit of bling so be it.

Charm_City said:
From the article -

The UK National Defence Medal campaign, which is calling for medals for all armed service personnel who have served the country since the Second World War, also believes the MPs' medal is unjustified.
Terry Scriven, a co-chairman of the campaign, said: "This scheme started off as very laudable, but it is outrageous that an MP can get what is effectively a Mickey Mouse medal for little more than 22 days' service when we have members who served our country and got nothing. I don't understand how a scheme like this can be run by a private organisation outside of the MoD or Parliament's control."
Priceless

C_C
I've changed my mind, anything that p1sses of Terry Scriven gets my vote.

The ONLY honours and awards that are valid in this country are those authorised by HM The Queen.

The Labour 'filth' and their Tory 'running dogs', and the 'Limp-Dicks', all allied to republican rubbish such as 'llech', can invent all manner of 'bling' they like, but it means NOTHING!!!!!

Just think of the sad twerp parading on Remembrance Sunday with seventeen medals, all bought by his wife, and then we can clearly see this bunch of irrelevant nonentities for what they are - nonentities.

As for the 'passed the sell by date', third rate, doddering clown, dishing these irrelevancies out - don't even go there.

"Terry Scriven, a co-chairman of the campaign, said: "This scheme started off as very laudable, but it is outrageous that an MP can get what is effectively a Mickey Mouse medal for little more than 22 days' service when we have members who served our country and got nothing. I don't understand how a scheme like this can be run by a private organisation outside of the MoD or Parliament's control."

"Colonel Scriven, who served as a military police officer, is standing as a Liberal Democrat candidate against Julian Lewis at the next election. Dr Lewis, who has risen to the rank of brigadier in the AFPS, has accused him in Parliament of trying to smear him and orchestrating a campaign to undermine him"

Think that is possibly Tony Scriven?

I worked for T-S when he was in the RMP, & found him to be one of the fairest, most decent officers I've ever worked for. He also took an interest in what his troops did after they left the service, the only time I've come across an officer who did that. Plus he thought B******k was a knobber from when they'd served together in Jnr Ldrs, which made him even more of a good egg IMHO. I had heard he was putting himself up as a LibDem candidate, even if he is now trying a bit of self-publicity now I'd still be curious to see how he's doing.

I met some of these AFPS bods on Telic a few years back - they were there for the photo opportunities with the tanks but when I told them what the tour was actually like (pulling no punches without swinging the lantern... too much) they really listened in.

Fair play if it gets them more interested in our well being. They didn't get the campaign medal, and at least they've been to a war zone unlike the blokes who got shit faced in Germany for 10 years and expect a medal for it.

Is not jumping on the outrage bus the new outrage bus?

We usually rip into blokes wearing bling - what's the difference between this unofficial medal and any other tat?

This made me chuckle. Second bolded text would rule out the majority of campaign medals; and also reinforce membership of the first bolded text.

Robert Hannaford, 76, who served in the Army Intelligence Corps during the 1950s and is now president of the Royal British Legion Club in Margate, Kent, said: "As an old soldier I've always been sceptical about medals awarded to people just for being in a certain place at a certain time rather than for earning them on merit. Medals ought to be earned and justified in some way."

Don't particularly approve of the gongs but I've met a few of the people participating on the AFPS and they seem to be, regardless of party, actually trying to understand the Armed Forces. It's not the same as military experience but it's better than them pontificating from the pov of years as a lawyer, pr flunky, or political researcher.

Yes, the medal and the rank will gripe many people - but it's an unofficial medal - no more credibility than the RBL approved commemoratives. The rank - well, yes, do you seriously expect that a senior parliamentarian visiting is going to be treated worse than a visiting red-tab? And I've shared transit accom in BIA with a slack handfull of these (despite my total lack of emminence!)

I have no doubt that the good Baron of Castle Shortt will soon achieve the rank of Brigadier and a bar to said award.
Thst said I am outraged that you can not be an Air Commodre under the scheme
RC