MPs And Peer Charged Over Expenses

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archangel, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

2. ...and made all the sweeter by both main parties having members presecuted - well, the stinking mess of corruption was everywhere, so good the prosecutions will be too.

How terribly silly of a Tory peer to claim for overnight stays in London, when he had had official transport back home, proving he had not been in London. A guilty plea there I suspect...
  3. Doh! thanks Blue. I was afraid of that! You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat ARRSErs to a news story!
    MODS please feel free to delete thread
  4. Wot,no mention of The Baroness Uddin.I am surprised.
  5. One report I saw suggested that at least one of the six was still being investigated, and that mr plod was still investigating others.

Perhaps the tunbrill is not full yet.
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

One still hopes HMRC are going to crack down and tax (and penalise) any expenses claimed which were not wholly, necessarily and exclusively for Parliamentary purposes.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

All those charged questioned whether they could get off using Parliamentary Privilege, and before they were charged, refused to answer questions put to them by the police, citing Parliamentary Privilege.

It's about time that was modified heavily, or better still - annulled. Simply because they are parliamentarians, they feel that they should be excluded from the laws they pass for everyone else, and can hide behind this exclusion when they get caught breaking the laws they have passed.

They must, for the sake of our democracy, feel the full force of the laws they pass should they be in breach of them, just like the proles they seek to govern are subject to them.
  8. I believe Baroness Uddin has also refused to answer any Police questions either.
    We are long overdue a specific offence for corruption in public office.
    The only way we will see any retribution for this is at the ballot box, it is precious little but the politicians will protect themselves and its the only option we have.
  9. As I understand it, this only applies if "on the floor of the house" and the smug gits got told so!

And if I was Uddin I wouldn't be too smug about future events
  10. I doubt she will be worried. If all goes tits up here then she still has a nice large mansion in Bagladesh to move too which her theft has helped pay for.
  11. :policecap: Hello, hello, hello, what's up 'ere then?

Some polifictions getting their collective collars felt?

'Bout bloody time I say. Been at it for half a century the robbin bastads. :police: