MPGS SDSR 2020

Doochy

Crow
Hello, I’m currently serving in the RN and want to transfer to MPGS. How safe is MPGS for job security? Could it be disbanded after
SDSR 2020 or will they be safe? I’m looking at Bramcote Barracks as I’m from Coventry. Is that one of the better bases or best to
be avoided? Any general info about MPGS will be appreciated too. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice

Hello, I’m currently serving in the RN and want to transfer to MPGS. How safe is MPGS for job security? Could it be disbanded after
SDSR 2020 or will they be safe? I’m looking at Bramcote Barracks as I’m from Coventry. Is that one of the better bases or best to
be avoided? Any general info about MPGS will be appreciated too. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice
Don't know the future of the barracks but came across this;

Royal Signals Units leave Gamecock Barracks

I called it quits with the MPGS after 16 years. Finished as a SNCO so not just a tom having a schimpf. I'll give you good and bad points.

Good
Job security. At the moment theres no plan to get rid of the MPGS. In fact theres a lot more units opening up for them, needing another 400+ bods. Most existing units are currently undermanned, so I have no idea where they think they'll get the manpower from.

The usual serving stuff. Medical, dental, quarters, gym. Home To Duty (MPGS dont get GYH so you need to live within 50 miles for HTD if you have your own place)

No tours, no exercises, so you're rarely away from home.

Decent pay for what you do (start pay is bit of a grind if you have rank, you will start again at Private)

Days off. 4 on 4 off. Most sites have 1 training day a month. Some Platoon Cmdrs love the power and decide they'll have more than 1 a month, depends where you get. (but then there's on call! See bad points!)

Pension. I'm so feckin glad I did the time in the MPGS to get my full (and more) pension.

Bad
The boredom. You're stagging on. It doesn't get any better than that.

"On call" or "Stand By". I mentioned most sites are undermanned. That missing manning is filled by the lads on off shift. Someone goes sick? Get on call in. Someone goes on course? Get on call in. Need to get all that leave in because the current manning couldnt get lads away on leave? Get on call in. Then suddenly your attractive 4 on 4 off isn't that any more.

Platoon Commanders with the man management ability of a gnat. Not all, but there are many, and I've had the misfortune of having to work for a few. Some of these lads shouldn't be Lance Jacks, never mind Staffys. But the habit of over reporting on SJARs so theres promotion and posting to get rid of problem children still happens in the MPGS.

Promotion. Promotion is now dead mans shoes. Promotion has come to a grinding halt. Now it's worse since the MPGS can now serve until 60. So all those guys that were due to retire and free up spaces in rank, are now doing another 5 years. Dont expect promotion any time soon.....if at all. The new sites opening may open up some rank slots, but as I said, they cant fill the sites they have, never mind new ones.

If you're going to do it, I would say crack on, but be prepared for all the above. It's a good job, it's just idiots make it hard. Get yourself a permanent downgrade. There's Warrant Officers in the MPGS that have never done a fitness test their whole career, it never stopped them getting promoted.

That's another one! Your Area Warrant Officers? The majority couldn't give a toss about you. All they care about is that all the Platoon paperwork is correct. You could have the biggest drama in your life happening, they wouldn't blink an eye, but Gods forbid the training paperwork is missing a signature.

I enjoyed most of my time in the MPGS. The lads were awesome. Met a few absolute belters, but every Platoon has one. I don't miss the MPGS one jot, but I do miss my lads. They made the days on stag worthwhile.
If you join and get rank, look after your blokes. Don't turn into your typical promotion seeking cnut thats rife in the MPGS.
Well......think I got all that off my chest. Time for a brew

Last edited:
I tried it. All seniors where freemasonry. Had a Sgt who did 3 years as a steward on the RAF. Did not know what a mortor base plate check was.
All my seniors had done 3 years without a tour between then. All had QJM only
I didn't last long

I tried it. All seniors where freemasonry. Had a Sgt who did 3 years as a steward on the RAF. Did not know what a mortor base plate check was.
All my seniors had done 3 years without a tour between then. All had QJM only
I didn't last long
My bit about lack of man management skills. Quite a lot of the MPGS seniors are people that didn't have much of a career first time round. Minimum time infantry Pte, minimum time chef....then they make all the right noises in the MPGS to get promoted fast, without learning how to actually be a manager. Those are the ones that are usually the *********. Happily I've met a couple of exceptions, but it's rare. These people joined in the early days when promotion was fast, luckily now you have to do so many years at each rank, still doesnt help some to learn how to be a manager, but at least it slows them down some.

As I said, it's a good job, and if you get a good team it's a great laugh. It's just the few idiots hat make it a bad job, and the higher up the rank chain they get, the more idiotic they become.

My whole section, cpl down were charged for a Facebook private chat. Where no names were mentioned but everyone knew who it was referring to.....

If you want lessons in brown nosing, just join the MPGS Official FB page. There's people on there who have perfected the career laugh in writing.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know diddly about the current MPGS although I have previous experience of looking after a Pl as a site XO. But, to answer your question, nothing is safe. Guarding is always contentious and in a future SDSR, will be considered in the melting pot in terms of force structure, Staffing and costs. I have known sites lose their guard force (MDP) due to a requirement to find savings, and in this case, they were replaced by Sailors stagging on.

Doochy

Crow
So working hours are 4 on then 4 off.... 1 training day per month minimum. So when are you ’on call’? Is it on your 4 days off? That would be crap

I’m looking at Bramcote Barracks as I’m from Coventry. Is that one of the better bases or best to
be avoided?
Under the Defence Estate Optimisation Programme (DEOP), Gamecock Barracks is due to remain on the books. The current occupants (30 Sig Regt) are scheduled to move to Stafford, but the barracks will be back filled with the Engineers coming out of Chetwynd Barracks, Chilwell and the Medics from Strensall, York.
That was the plan as at summer 2019, so it should endure, but I would caveat that against whatever plans the new Government has! Good Luck.

So working hours are 4 on then 4 off.... 1 training day per month minimum. So when are you ’on call’? Is it on your 4 days off? That would be crap
We were doing 6 on 2 off but it might have been 4 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. Back on

Why don't you look at MOD Police etc

Doochy

Crow
It sounds crazy but I’ll be at my 19 year point when I transfer. i can do last 3 years on MPGS and then be eligible for a pension. I’m aware of pay reduction and pension effect. I can be near home which is more important at the moment. I’m currently in the submarine service based in Scotland so more than adequately prepared to deal with the ‘boredom’ of MPGS. Try 4 months stuck underwater

It sounds crazy but I’ll be at my 19 year point when I transfer. i can do last 3 years on MPGS and then be eligible for a pension. I’m aware of pay reduction and pension effect. I can be near home which is more important at the moment. I’m currently in the submarine service based in Scotland so more than adequately prepared to deal with the ‘boredom’ of MPGS. Try 4 months stuck underwater
NO, you have to leave for 4 weeks, and start at lower than a trained solider (x factor)

Check the pension website

Doochy

Crow
I contacted the forces pension society. I fill in a afp241c form and it's a direct transfer. I join as Pte on MPGS on a lower wage. My pension takes a bit of a hit but still eligible for a pension at 22 year point and with MPGS I can still work to 55/60. Thanks for advice and help

I contacted the forces pension society. I fill in a afp241c form and it's a direct transfer. I join as Pte on MPGS on a lower wage. My pension takes a bit of a hit but still eligible for a pension at 22 year point and with MPGS I can still work to 55/60. Thanks for advice and help
On 15 arent you allowed to do one on the 20 year point, remember 15 is average earnings

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
What is often neglected in these discussions is the fact that an SDSR is much less a shopping trip to the defence equipment bazaar, and much more a chance to take stock and reflect on the UK’s national strategic priorities, policies and choices about how it sees its position in the world, and what this may mean for the levers of government.

Given the MOD is some £15bn overcommitted and the chances of the Treasury benevolently buying out this risk with an injection of cash is minimal, this sort of hard decision taking would be a good way of generating the short and long term savings required to make Defence solvent again.
The wider issue too is that the sort of areas that the SDSR needs to worry about and which will require cash investment are not the sort of areas that appeal to fans of ORBATs. To maintain a UK national capability in say imagery and cyber will require discrete investment in UK industry to keep it a sovereign capability, people and technology and not hard military power.
But is it better for the UK to invest resources in security which is not necessarily tangible but which stops threats – for instance better cyber security, better information warfare assets, and more investment in the UK intelligence community as a whole, or is it better to maintain heavy military assets that can only be used in an increasingly unlikely set of scenarios?

Just read in the Soldier Magazine (Page 48) that MPGS lose 6 days leave when they want 4 days off (When those 4 days are their days on)

Latest Threads