MPGS...and the bit on the side

hello there, so im transferring from the army to an MPGS role. As most people know this involves quite a substantial pay cut. And as i understand most people within the MPGS work other jobs. My question is well first of all how legal is this, and what are the restrictions, I would like to get an SIA licence and just do a bit of security on the side to make up the pay gap. Can anyone help me with more infomation please many thanks.

SIA licence tests are usually conducted at the same place you would do your driving theory tests.

There are different elements to a SIA licence. e.g. CCTV is one and door work is another.

Apply for a Licence

Thank you there is a course im interested in doing, my main worry is that ill soon be in an MPGS role under an army contract and I dont want to book an SIA course if my job within the MPGS doesnt allow me to do this even on my days off.

I know people within the MPGS have secondairy jobs. Weather its actually allowed or not is my main question.

Unfortunately last I heard, and I don't think it's changed (and I've been trying to find it in our regs) you can't do outside security work, or retained fire fighter (although a few years ago I did work with a lad who was a retained firefighter and MPGS) or Police Specials or whatever they're called now, or any of the Reserves or Cadet Instructor.

Although if you really wanted to do your SIA in your time off and do some door work on the side without mentioning it, then who's to stop you? However if you get injured in said work and are not able to do your day job due to it, you'd be in the brown and smelly.

Sorry should have re-iterated, yes you can have a secondary job on your days off. Many lads do it. I don't as I'm a lazy fecker who likes his 4 days off too much! :D

Last edited:
Haha brilliant. My main concern is my income is everything as my wife is up the duff again and we already have a baby. So im the only one working so
I am flapping about the pay cut slightly. But thanks thats helped.

I am sure you have already thought about it, but why not stay in? Or remuster? Or transfer services? Or get a civvy job?

Why MPGS? Like you say a paycut and there are rumours of disbandment etc

I would imagine MPGS is great if you're knocking on a bit, collecting an IP and just topping this up with MPGS - 4 on 4 off? Awesome!. But why take a risk especially like you say, when your wife is up the duff? All the young(ish) MPGS i know are doing their best to get out if it.

Don't make a rash decision you may regret later down the line.

I am sure you have already thought about it, but why not stay in? Or remuster? Or transfer services? Or get a civvy job?

Why MPGS? Like you say a paycut and there are rumours of disbandment etc

I would imagine MPGS is great if you're knocking on a bit, collecting an IP and just topping this up with MPGS - 4 on 4 off? Awesome!. But why take a risk especially like you say, when your wife is up the duff? All the young(ish) MPGS i know are doing their best to get out if it.

Don't make a rash decision you may regret later down the line.
Spot on. If you're young, consider another career. MPGS is dead mans shoes for promotion, hard to get on courses, no manpower for AT or personal / career development. Higher uppers might not like seeing that in black and white, but it's only the truth.
With AFPS 15, if you dont have your time in, it's a dead end job.

IIRC the MPGS or any other unit has what they call a secondary employment process.

1, Has to be non-frontline (i.e. Support element or non door work, CCTV is ok)
2, Signed off by your line manager & full & final authority by the Unit CO.

Primarily, any outside civilian employment must be non frontline to avoid conflict of interest & ending up in a physical altercation that could possible bring the Army & you into disrepute.

If the above doesn't apply or suit I'd consider logistics or another sector.

Hope that helps.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Hi what do you mean by dead mans shoes for promotion?

My reasons for transferring are for my family to be honest the infantry was great for me when i was single but now ive had a baby the thought of being away for 6 weeks or months is unbareable. All my friends have or are in the process of leaving and I joined for one reason and that was to serve my country in a combat operation whenever that be. But now i dont feel the same way i just want the benifit of living in a bukshee pad whilst i carry on saving for a house deposit. Then ill be a full blown civvie.

hello there, so im transferring from the army to an MPGS role. As most people know this involves quite a substantial pay cut. And as i understand most people within the MPGS work other jobs. My question is well first of all how legal is this, and what are the restrictions, I would like to get an SIA licence and just do a bit of security on the side to make up the pay gap. Can anyone help me with more infomation please many thanks.
Have a look at forming a business that you can do as part time as self employed to supplement your earnings, i.e. window cleaner, painting and decorating, landscape gardening, car mechanic etc etc.

Work the part time self employed job around your MPGS hours, if you have a need for some extra manpower get your fellow MPGS colleagues to help for cash in hand etc.

Get your wife involved by taking phone call, making appointments, doing the books etc etc when you are stagging on.

Or if you drive, do part time driving jobs or warehouse jobs again fit your hours around your stagging on.

Avoid the security work if it is front line i.e. 'Door Supervisor etc' possible conflict of interest, but consider keyholding or alarm installation etc.

Hi what do you mean by dead mans shoes for promotion?

My reasons for transferring are for my family to be honest the infantry was great for me when i was single but now ive had a baby the thought of being away for 6 weeks or months is unbareable. All my friends have or are in the process of leaving and I joined for one reason and that was to serve my country in a combat operation whenever that be. But now i dont feel the same way i just want the benifit of living in a bukshee pad whilst i carry on saving for a house deposit. Then ill be a full blown civvie.
Dead mans shoes. Means that spaces for promotion only become available when someone leaves the MPGS....or dies...
I'll be truthful here because basically you're thinking of your families future.
In the early days of the MPGS when sites were opening for us left, right and flip flop, if you were willing to move you would fly up the ranks. Then certain sites that were in good locations filled up and people didnt want to move, so those sites became dead mans shoes for promotion.
Now the whole of the MPGS is dead mans shoes. The MPGS has to lose a certain amount of people so sites are taking a loss in manpower and certain sites are closing. This means that the NCOs at those sites needs to be moved to whatever spaces there are for them acroos the country. The last LCpl to Cpl board saw no promotions within the MPGS. How long this is going to last for, no one knows.
My personal opinion? I don't think the MPGS will last past the 2020 SDSR. I think our numbers will be dramatically cut and the only sites we will guard will be training or HQ sites and I think the MPGS as an entity will change into something completely different or be disbanded. There is rumour now of the RAF Regt taking over the guarding duties at RAF camps with a small minority of MPGS to run the guardroom. I believe this is the beginning of the end for the MPGS, and to that end I'm now getting all my ducks in a row for civvy street.

Of course I could be completely wrong and the MPGS will still be the preferred guarding option past 2020, but I'm not holding my breath.

I appreciate all this advice its nice too get a straight awnser for once. This is just my way of having a few easy years before i become a civvie just need a couple of years for that bastard house Deposit. So maybe promotion wont be such a big deal however ill take it
If it comes my way, why not. Im leaning more towards cabbing now i think. Was considering investing in a small business. Bouncy castles maybe lol

I appreciate all this advice its nice too get a straight awnser for once. This is just my way of having a few easy years before i become a civvie just need a couple of years for that bastard house Deposit. So maybe promotion wont be such a big deal however ill take it
If it comes my way, why not. Im leaning more towards cabbing now i think. Was considering investing in a small business. Bouncy castles maybe lol
Bouncy Castles; WHY NOT, You are on military bases and employed by the MoD so security clearance is not a problem, you have prospective clients from the various messes, and other unit events, very little outlay as opposed to SIA licence, course fee's etc. You own and can grow the business to suit and expand it into other leisure areas, i.e. battery go karts, portable climbing walls etc, and of course serve the civi markets as well as the military bases.

Wife can take the booking etc when you are stagging on and can take the money at the events etc whilst you do the donkey work setting up.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
As a suggestion - take the leap and leave the army altogether and get a decent civvy job. Then join the reserves and as an ex-reg, you will get the golden handshake (10k last i heard) - caveat; i have heard rumblings that this might not apply to SNCO's and might phase out altogether soon...
if all works out, you are in civvy street and wont have to worry about long exercises etc. You wont be in MPGS getting bored on stag. You will still to make pew pew noises with the reserves. You will get extra monies from the AR...

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Can you not get as many driving qualifications as possible? An LGV license and some part time agency should still be a reasonable income.
Your security work will be mainly nights and weekends so your home time with the family will be minimal, but as a driver you've got more chance of day time work.
Yeah I know agency work can lead to multi drop work which hard but once you build a reputation as reliable they (agencies) should offer you better jobs.
But as a change not too far from your current life, Army Reserve plus LGV week day or some other full time job. The transport industry is very short of drivers despite all the "no speaky English" EE so called drivers. The Army Reserve seem desperate to recruit.

Inflatables are not the money making scheme people think they are. A decent inflatable will cost £000's. Plus you need liability insurance before you rent out, risk assessments, then the annual PIPA testing, And thats before you even start to think of renting it out.
They are heavy to move about if you buy a decent size inflatable.

I worked for a team building company whose client base varied from stag and hen do's through to corporate with 350+ clients on a day. No one liked working with the inflatables. They are a pain to set up, bigger pain to strip down and pack away, a nightmare to clean. I could go on, but I think you get the jist.

PIPA Inflatable Play Inspection - Safe Bouncy Castles

Super Deal 010 - Bouncy Castle Startup Deals & Packages - AndyJ.co.uk UK Inflatables Manufacturer

Start Up Bouncy Castle Business Guide
Introduction

Bouncy Castle Hire is a great business and the next two years are going to be very profitable. In order to start up in this business you may wish to consider the experience I had with AJL! Hopefully, you can learn a couple of things to make it easier. This is not a get rich quick scheme. You need to put in the work to generate the rewards. It is however a good way to produce a second income without too much hard work, good luck.

Castle Designs

There are several excellent companies selling bouncy castles, with good products and keen prices. As a hire operator which is the best design for your customer?

Size is critically important. Do your customers have large gardens or small? A high proportion of your potential clients are likely to be on low to average incomes with gardens to match. A bouncy castle is a low cost alternative to taking a group of 15-20 kids to a restaurant or play center.

12' (3.6m) and 10' (3m) square castles are the most popular sizes and will fit in most places. They are easily handled and stored. Larger castles are more suitable for 'pay per play' situations where you can fit more kids on at the same time and they can be seen from further away. Box bouncers being walled on all sides stop kids accidentally falling off, but visibility is restricted.

There are many companies offering many different castle designs. Some of these look great and some are good quality, but as a hire operator you need to consider the return you will get on the investment of purchasing a bouncy castle. This is why AJL concentrates on providing standard designs at excellent value for money. Your customers will be as pleased with a standard design as they would with something fancy which costs you half as much again. In order to make some profits you should consider how quickly your investment will start paying for itself. Take a look at our SUPERDEALS & SPECIAL PACKAGES.

Customer Demographics

Kids are born on every day of the year so there is an endless supply of prospective customers. But widening your potential customer base is healthy and you should also consider setting up in shopping malls, at the beach, car boot sales, school fetes and galas, street parties, play schools and nurseries, garden centers and so on.

Anywhere that attracts family groups will make good business because the kids will pester mum and dad for a go, while mum and dad will be keen to stop the kids getting bored. Every child that sees your castle will end up having a go. Charging 50p ( or $1 ) for 5 minutes play should see you with over £150 ($300) at the end of the day in the right location.

Some suggestions are family parties, pubs, hotels, shopping centres, playschool, after school clubs, on the beach, in the town centre, social clubs, church halls, school fetes, galas, car boot sales, charity events, business promotions, open days, and so on.

Getting Bookings

My experience is that you need to advertise initially to build up a customer base. An advert in the local telephone directory under Bouncy Castles and/or Party Supplies will draw in clients like play schemes, school fetes, and more serious customers. A second advert in the local press, the minimum they will allow( Bouncy Castles (your number)), placed nightly for the duration of the season will attract parents looking for ideas, if you can then sell your service they are likely to book.

Enquiries will take several forms. How much do you charge? What sizes do you do? How many can use it? How old can they be? I sell my service on several things. We have a castle to suit most situations, indoor or out. We do it all for them, deliver, set up and take away. We are flexible to fit in with the customers plans, and we always turn up on time. We always phone to confirm the night before and all our bookings are guaranteed, if we don't turn up we pay the hirer the hire fee. We don't require a deposit as customers very rarely cancel, would you if the kids were expecting one.

This service helps to create trust with our customers, which will bring them back next time.

Insurance

We strongly recommend taking insurance cover for third party liability. This is to protect you if anyone has an accident while using the equipment. Talk to your insurance broker. Insurance is also available for loss of the equipment and employers liability.

Dealing with the client

Happy customers are the most valuable part of a business. Treating our customers well is integral to the way we do business at AJL. Identify services which fill the needs of your customer, and fulfill your promise to the customer. Hire customers are, I believe, looking for 3 things.

1. They want good value for money. Price your service to match your competition.
  2. They want you to have a castle available for when they want it. Have enough stock to fill the demand.
  3. They want you to turn up. Keep your promise and offer to pay them the hire fee if you don't.
Customers will book if your prices are what they are expecting to pay, if you have one available and you are there to pick up the phone when they call. If you are not there to answer the phone they will ring the next company who will get the booking. Many customers phone during the evening and at the weekend so be prepared for them. Have your diary available and sell your service.

Cancellations

I offer a no fee cancellation service, the customer can cancel at any time without penalty. This makes clients who are not 100% sure book with us. Once they've booked, they tell the kids and then can't back out. It would be a brave parent who spoilt their child's birthday party by canceling the bouncy castle man. I find we get very few cancellations and lots of last minute calls to take over the booking when they do.

Some businesses take more bookings than they have castles, to cover themselves for any cancellations. Inevitably someone is let down and a kids birthday is ruined. Would you use that company again? I wouldn't, and I'd tell all my friends not to as well.

Legislation and codes of practice

You should familiarize yourself with the legal requirements and codes of practice which apply to the operation of inflatable games in your country.

Accidents involving breach of health and safety laws can lead to criminal prosecution of not only the individual responsible but also the owner of the business, including company directors. This is quite separate from civil claims for compensation which are usually covered by insurance. In the UK, Magistrates have the power to send offenders to prison for up to 6 months and impose a fine of up to £5, 000 per offence; more serious cases are dealt with by the Crown Courts. They can impose unlimited fines and prison sentences of up to 2 years for health and safety offences.

Please be careful!

The following list applies to the UK only and is not intended to be exhaustive:

STATUTES AND REGULATIONS:

• Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
  • Occupiers Liability Acts 1957 and 1984
  • Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992
  • Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992
  • Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1992
  • Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992
CODES OF PRACTICE (HSE APPROVED):

Some HSE approved Codes of Practice/Guidance Notes:

• Safe operation of passenger carrying amusement devices - inflatable bouncing devices". Guidance Note PM76 (April 1991)
  • "Code of Safe Practice at Fairs". HSE Guidance on Regulations L23 (Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992).
  • "Management of Health and Safety at Work" HSE L21 (1992).
  • "Maintaining portable and transportable electrical equipment" HSE (G)107 (1994)
OTHER CODES OF PRACTICE:

• "Soft Play and Inflatables" by The Institute of Leisure and Amenity Management
  • "Safety in Indoor Adventure Play Areas" - A Code of Practice by ILAM/NPFA/RoSPA
NB breach of an approved Code of Practice is not an offence but if you are prosecuted and it is shown that there was a failure to observe the relevant Code, contravention of the Act or Regulation will be considered proven unless you can satisfy the Court that you complied in an alternative, acceptable manner.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Grass cutting? Where I live, Kent, a lot of people seem to farm out the arduous task of cutting the grass but struggle to find reliable people to turn up .Ok the winter is closed season but by the time you've also hoovered up all the leaves and blagged a bit of landscaping its time to fire up the flymo. Plus it's mainly cash, so you can live off that and save your salary for bills etc.

If you are still serving as a Regular, is it possible for you to gain your LGV Licence (HGV1).

Can you gain your LGV Licence (HGV1) in the MPGS?

Then have a look at KBR FTX LOGISTICS as they run a SPONSORED ARMY RESERVIST UNIT driving the HET Tank Transporters and support vehicles.

You drive civi vehicles during the week as required for civi companies but when required you drive the Army's HET's.

Wages at the start after probation is £27,593.00 raising up to £32,000.00 and if you include a tour £37,000.00.

All info from the KBR FTX LOGISTICS web page.

Contact phone no; 01980 667119 (Phil Mitchell) philmitchell@ftxlog.com

Or Recruitment on 01980 667107.

Only cost the price of a phone call to make enquiries.