MPGS 1yr MIN SERVICE, LEGALLY BINDING OR NOT ?

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by roger-out, Apr 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a question for all you legal eagles. How legally binding is the MPGS rule regarding a soldier having to serv a minimum of 1yr? I'm sure I heard that someone challenged something like this before. On the grounds that as they were paid on a monthly basis then they were only legally bound to give a months notice!
    Any takers?

2. hi mate ok here goes i did a year with mpgs from the onset you have 90 days to get out if you wish with 1 month notice if you go over that you have to do 9 months then you can at any time give 90 days notice to get out thats what i did 10 months ago hope this helps i dont know if it legal or not but they would not budge for me the contract you sign tells you this

3. I can't see many people answering this. Its the same as how can a decision you made as a 17 year old, still have profound effects when you are 39 (being called up as a reservist).

4. Anyone know if I have the right to leave by purchase? Job doing my head in! don't want to be doing the 9 months followed by another 3 months notice. "THINGS YOU WISH YOU'D NEVER DONE !!" :cry:

5. see a lawyer

6. you cannot leave by purchase and must do 90 days notice

7. All in all you have to do the minimum 12 months.

If you are ex navy or RAF you have three months to decide if you like it or not and can give notice in the three months.

If you are ex Army, they have you for a minimum of a year.

You need to give a minimum of 90 days notice before the first 12 months are up to get out at the 12 month point!

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

MPGS is a civilian job. 1 months notice is the only thing that will stand up in court. Tried and tested many times in other jobs, they cannot enforce anything longer no matter what is in the contract. Tell them your leaving and if they say no then tell them to sue you because your leaving anyway.

It's not the Army and there is nothing they can do about it.

9. I too was in the MPGS for a year, however i only done 10 and a half months vurtue of me using about 10 days holiday. So i put 3 months notice in, but as the job is 4 on 4 off this made the year shortened to the 10 and a half months as stated! It is a dull depressing job no comradeship like the regs before, i disliked it and seniors still using there rank too!!

10. Ord Sgt.... the problem is that you re enlist into the regular army albeit on an MLSE engagement.

That was a similar engagement as some RIR troops in Ulster a while back and thus the three months instead of the 12 months signing off!

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sorry but why leave the army to do a civi job then re-enlist in the army to do it? If your effectively in the the army then you are of course screwed.

12. tHE MAIN REASON IS THAT THERE ARE ONLY 2 AGENCIES IN THE uk WHO ARE ALLOWED TO DO ARMED GUARDING, SECURITY DURIES AND THAT IS THE pOLICE AND THE ARMED FORCES. tHE mdp ARE FAR TOO EXPENSIVE, THE ALTERNATIVE BEING THE mpgs!

OOPS sorry caps mong here

13. Ord Sgt I hope you give better advice to your soldiers.

MPGS is Army, where do you get the civvie bit from?

14. MPGS are members of the Armed Forces and as such are exempt under the employment rights act and you Sarge are an uneducated t!t for thinking otherwise!

15. Cheers monkey, good to know there are some straight thinking people on here.