MPG

1564908462044.png

New Skoda Octavia Estate Auto 1500cc, cruise control set at 61mph, economy mode selected, in E7th gear, on the motorway engine is doing the minimum to keep the speed constant terrain is fairly flat and the car drops into 2 cylinder mode, I have seen the mpg figure in excess of 100, gotta smile at the VW technology. I am impressed with this car so many little seemingly simple touches to make life easier, for eample the interior light in the boot detaches and doubles up as a torch, the little drop down hooks(4) to hang your shopping bags on. Can't compare this motor with the Skoda Rapid I had about 25 years ago(oh the shame of it).
1564909591453.png

1564909661707.png

61 mph is fine for built up areas, schools, hospitals etc..

But what is is like on motorways at 90 mph?

Not tried 90 but have done 80 and it does the same, once the speed is constant and the engine is doing the minimum amount of work to maintain that speed it drops into 2cylinder mode.

Not tried 90 but have done 80 and it does the same, once the speed is constant and the engine is doing the minimum amount of work to maintain that speed it drops into 2cylinder mode.
What is the difference in MPG as you get quicker, though?
I know my car if efficientish at 100km/h but eats fuel at 140.

That's staggering.
I thought I did well getting 58 MPG from Falkirk to Catterick return in a Poxhall Insignia 3 years back.
I usually squeeze circa 27 mpg on a good day Driving Miss Daisly......and 16/18 MPG in my 1840cc Roadster hammering cross country for "fun"...which is what it's for.
Nor do I give a shit..it is what it is!
We are looking at economical oilers to add to the fleet soon though.
This has given me food for thought.

Am I right in thinking that you used your phone to take a photograph of the display whilst driving at 60 mph on a motorway?

Forgot to add it's petrol. To get some true figures I have faithfully selected ECO mode for every trip and contrary to how I normally drive(aggressive) have made an effort to be as economical as possible. For the last half tank of juice it has been mostly urban driving 30/40mph with the occasional trip 15 miles on a dual carriageway and if the readout is to be believed it is giving me an average of 49.5 mpg.

Any sign of this happening?: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine/

After being landed with a ford ecoboost that only works for 2 or 3 days a week i'm considering going to VAG but they don't look much better tbh
Not experienced that, mine is an auto and I see in the article they mention manual g/box plus only done 2k miles at the moment, ta for the info though I'll be totally obsessed now waited for the slightest shudder.:eek:

Automatic transmissions are for winners. Especially with lots of cogs. Doesn't really matter what the engine is, (to a degree), if the power and torque can't be deployed efficiently, the whole 9 yards is compromised. Last two trucks I've had had 8-speed autos, and the frequent changes were barely perceptible. Having changed the motor for one with much more power, but a 6-speed auto, it is more noticeable when it swaps cogs.

In some countries, there's a definite preference for manual transmissions, but I can only think that is based upon a historical situation of the autos of the day being shite, so the manual transmission allowed the driver to more efficiently select the right gear than the auto could. In those days (I'm thinking 50s-80s), the engines were nowhere near as well developed either. So today you can have a smaller, yet more powerful engine, with a much superior transmission.

Which is all fine until it goes tits and then costs the earth to fix :)

or in my driving days when commuting weekly from Henley on Thames to Warrington, c 110 mph on the M6 & M40?

Ha was waiting for that, no it was my boy sat in the back and did a "reach round":rolleyes:
Am I right in thinking that your son removed his seat belt in order to take a photograph of the dashboard whilst you were driving at 60 mph on a motorway?

Speed is the mpg killer for me.
I’m in my last week of employment as a wage slave which has engendered quite a bit of flogging around the country, ( 3.8 v8 diesel full fat Range Rover)
At a whisper quiet 75 is it averages 26.5 to the gallon.
Last Thursday got a call from a client after I set off at oh my god in the morning to say they were going to be a couple of hours late. So I set the cruse controller for 50 mph and toddled off on an empty A66 over Stanmore to Stockton.
It averaged 35 to the gallon ffs.

Bollox

War Hero
I know VW got hammered for fine tuning their mpg figures, but where do these other manufacturers get their figures from.
No matter how I drive (cruise control) at 50 mph or using the gear paddles to force a higher gear than the auto box would be in.
I have never come close to the manufacturers figures, normaly I get about 50-70% of the stated mpg in the manual.

1565092219199.png

Got a competition going with myself now, how high a reading I can get at various speeds.
Before he comments ;) yeah I was speeding and yeah I took the photo.

Latest Threads